NBC loses $10-15 million from GG cancellation

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Hey Zucker and Silverman suck on this! I still can't believe what a bunch of asses these networks and studio heads are. They estimate every thing the WGA is asking for would equal around $50 million a year, so just this one show being canceled is like 30% of that. And let's not forget the $20 million NBC already paid back to the advertisers for missing their target ratings back in December. What a bunch of assholes all around. If anyone has stock in any of these companies they should be sending off letters.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Globes Cancellation to Cost NBC $10-15 Mil. in Ad Rev[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]John Consoli[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]JANUARY 08, 2008 -

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The cancellation of the Golden Globe Awards ceremony on Sunday, Jan. 13 because of the Writers Guild of America’s plan to picket, and the show’s replacement with some type of alternative coverage of the announcement of the winners, will cost NBC between $10 million and $15 million in ad revenue, sources familiar with the situation confirmed to Mediaweek.

The traditional three-hour telecast was scheduled to air 30 second commercial spots that cost between $400,000 and $450,000 each for a dozen or so advertisers, with the entire telecast expected to bring in about $25 million in advertising revenue for the network.

For the past week, with the likelihood that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association would cancel the traditional awards ceremony (which it eventually did in conjunction with discussions with NBC on Jan. 7), NBC sales personnel were meeting with various media agency executives to determine how their advertiser clients would be compensated.

Some clients have decided to get cash back from the network, while others are waiting to see what type of alternative programming the network will come up with before deciding whether to take cash back or other types of makegoods. The network was hoping to keep some of the Golden Globe advertisers in whatever format of alternative coverage of the Globe winners that was decided to be aired. However, whatever that alternative programming is, it will clearly draw less of an audience than the traditional Globe Awards coverage. Thus the network will still fall short of its rating points guarantees to advertisers.

NBC will not lose the entire $25 million in ad revenue it was planning to take in, since some advertisers will continue to keep their dollars in whatever alternative programming the network chooses to air in place of the Globes. NBC will also not have to pay the nearly $6 million rights fee to the NFPA air the Golden Globes.

NBC officials would not comment beyond a statement that said, “We’re working with each client on a case by case basis to come up with the best possible solution for everyone involved.”
[/FONT]

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
If they would just pay the fucking writers and have a serious negotiation over a week period then this whole problem would go away.

They are just being corporate douches.

They have lost a ridiculous amount of viewers because no one wants to sit there watching the same fucking replays over and over.

I just want CSI back now that I can actually watch it with my new work schedule.

jsc315

AnalCunt
Dec 8, 2004
Evergreen Park,IL
good they deserve it. just give the fuckers what they want. if it wasn't for writers then there would be shit, yet for some reason they never get recognized.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Heh, NBC is run by a bunch of douches. The network of unoriginal ideas. Hey we got an hour slot open and nothing to put in it's place...let's just make a 2008 version of Silver Spoons...along with the resurrection of Bionic Woman, Knight Rider, and American Gladiators (not saying SS is coming back, just used it as an example).

Silverman and Zucker have fucked up so bad that the network is battling Fox for fourth place. And with American Idol and eventually 24 starting back up, NBC will be in a battle with the CW. Heh, cocksuckers.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Go shit in yer hat NBC. I'm glad you're eating your balls.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I'm glad that poor excuse of a network is going to lose that money(FUCK NBC). I do feel sorry for other parties involved that won't get paid because of the GG cancellation. The caterers come to mind.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Nice

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
NBC deserves this, as Silverman and Zucker are just assholes of the first class. They're scum. Its no surprise that any show worth watching on NBC now like Heroes, Office, and Earl are not the work of these two clowns. Hopefully they'll run the network to the ground and be gone. How far the peacock has fallen from the "Must See TV" days. They deserve the bad press and karma. fuckers.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Ummm. NBC was the top rated network the week of 12/31/07 - 1/6/08, and has won 18-49 for the past month. The WGA strike is saving their network. Sure, they lost a few bucks on the Globes, but they are raking in 10 times more than that on a weekly basis during the strike.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Here's the past 3 days, NBC lost them all, and they also lost on Thursday, guess that winning streak passed pretty quickly...

Friday
-Total Viewers:
CBS: 9.34 million, NBC: 6.84 million, Fox: 5.41, ABC: 4.92, CW: 4.81

-Adults 18-49:
CBS: 2.5 rating/8 share, NBC: 2.0/ 6, Fox: 1.7/ 5, CW: 1.6/ 5, ABC: 1.5/ 4

Saturday
-Total Viewers:
CBS: 26.16 million, Fox: 7.09, ABC: 4.57, NBC: 3.84

-Adults 18-49:
CBS: 9.8 rating/27 share, Fox: 2.4/ 7, ABC and NBC: 1.3 rating/4 share

Sunday
-Percent Change From the Year-Ago Evening (Sunday, Jan. 14, 2007)
Fox: +101, ABC: -22, NBC: -31, CBS: -45, CW: -60
First, last night NBC is in 4th, but the ratings aren't completely done yet, but there's the changes from last year.

NBC won one week, competing against mostly repeats. And they are winning with reality shows. Look up the numbers for the money made in the long run from scripted shows and reality shows (reruns, world wide sales, dvd sales) everyone is being really near sighted if they think NBC is benefiting in any way from the strike.

And does it really matter if you're winning right now but your numbers are so low that you've already had to hand back tens of millions of dollars to advertisers for missing the numbers you sold them at the upfronts in May?

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Here's the past 3 days, NBC lost them all, and they also lost on Thursday, guess that winning streak passed pretty quickly...

First, last night NBC is in 4th, but the ratings aren't completely done yet, but there's the changes from last year.

NBC won one week, competing against mostly repeats. And they are winning with reality shows. Look up the numbers for the money made in the long run from scripted shows and reality shows (reruns, world wide sales, dvd sales) everyone is being really near sighted if they think NBC is benefiting in any way from the strike.

And does it really matter if you're winning right now but your numbers are so low that you've already had to hand back tens of millions of dollars to advertisers for missing the numbers you sold them at the upfronts in May?
Exactly. They couldn't even hit the quota and had to cough up millions to their advertisers for the lackluster ratings during the fourth quarter. I guess America just had enough of the shitty storylines (Bionic Woman), overall weak performances (Heroes), and lack of advertising (Journeyman). Oh, but here comes the American Gladiators and Knight Rider to come and save the network! What is it, 1986? Since we don't have any new, fresh ideas for series...let's just dig up some old series' that ironically were cancelled due to lack of ratings! :icon_roll

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
good they deserve it. just give the fuckers what they want. if it wasn't for writers then there would be shit, yet for some reason they never get recognized.
However, since so many rubes eat up reality shows, the networks have an out to keep this up. They can rake it in on the reality shows and not have to worry about the writers, and America eats it up. Those of us who despise reality tv are the real victims here.

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
However, since so many rubes eat up reality shows, the networks have an out to keep this up. They can rake it in on the reality shows and not have to worry about the writers, and America eats it up. Those of us who despise reality tv are the real victims here.

That's the truth. I won't subscribe to wasting a minute with this garbage. I've watched that stupid new Terminator series just out of curiosity to see what that was about, but I've mainly been watching the History channels, National Geographic, and the political news channels. Its amazing how these rubes and morons with attention spans of 3 year olds eat this shit up.

reality tv :piss

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I want to quote this from www.iwatchstuff.com because it doesn't need any editing.

Despite completely forgetting about the event taking place last night, replacing that information with anything even slightly relevant, I managed to catch most of the Golden Globes last night on NBC. Due to the writer's strike, I knew the ceremony was cancelled, to be replaced by a more discreet reading of the winners, but I had no idea exactly how pathetic it would be. Two of earth's biggest tools--their names I can't recall, but I think they're from Access Hollywood--gave some of the most obnoxious commentary I've ever heard. How many times were these turds going to say "boutique movie"? Did they just make that up? Where is Mario Lopez, or guy from Sugar Ray? If you're going to get a complete idiot from an entertainment gossip show, they're surely better options. There is something seriously wrong when the question "Couldn't they at least get Ryan Seacrest to do this?" crosses your mind, and last night may be the first and last time in recorded history that it happens.

And how about those winners? Can you believe a sweeping period romance would be awarded in some huge way?

Still, all said and done, the fact that there were no self-indulgant musical numbers or "remembrances", and that it ran under five hours, made this the best awards show in recent memory.

Winners under the cut.