NCNW Opposes Satellite Radio Merger

Capt'n Obvious

Thank You Mask Man
Feb 2, 2005
Long Island
January 25, 2008

The National Council of Negro Women (NCNW) submitted a letter to the FCC on Thursday to voice their opposition to the proposed merger of XM and Sirius Satellite Radio, saying that it "poses a clear, present and unmitigated threat to decency and greater diversity of media ownership." The NCNW feels that if one satcaster was the home of a collection of so-called shock jocks such as Howard Stern, Opie & Anthony and Bubba The Love Sponge, then it would cater to the "lowest-common-denominator" of programming.

"One only has to evaluate the current programming now offered by Sirius and XM to recognize that our concerns and fears are well founded. Programming such as Howard Stern, Opie and Anthony, and Bubba the Love Sponge - which help to perpetuate racist and sexist stereotypes in our culture - drive the business of both companies," reads the letter to FCC Chairman Kevin Martin. "A Sirius - XM satellite radio monopoly will focus its resources on only its most profitable audiences, with more of the same lowest-common-denominator programming of the Howard Stern variety. Yet the audiences of those shows do not reflect the broader spectrum of the American listening public."

The letter goes on to voice support for private equity firm Georgetown Partners, which is asking that Sirius and XM be required to hand over 20 percent of their channel capacity in order to "create competition and diversity" in satellite radio and ensure some family-friends programming. The NCNW wrote, "In achieving the triple imperatives of programming decency, diversity of programming, and diversity of ownership in the satellite radio market, Georgetown's proposal offers a bright future for this critically important medium that stands in stark contrast to the 'at risk' position promised by the Sirius - XM combination as currently proposed by the companies."

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=558786

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
National Council of Negro Women Oppose Merger cuz of O&A, Howie

I love how this "organization" puts out a press release and either spells "it" wrong, or is just writing it in Ebonics. :icon_mrgr

In her letter, she argues that satellite radio needs to have "family" oriented programming. This cunt probably hasn't even seen a channel lineup, nor does she realize that there are Xplicit Language channels that can be blocked.

National Council of Negro Women oppose merger (and Howard, O&A and Bubba are the reason)
Friday, January 25, 2008 at 9:39 AM
Tags: Bubba The Love Sponge, FCC, Howard Stern, Merger, Opie and Anthony, Sirius, XM

Howard Stern, Opie and Anthony, Bubba the Love Sponge

The National Council of Negro Women (NCNW) submitted a letter to the FCC yesterday, voicing their general opposition to the Sirius-XM merger.

And one of the main reasons as to why they don't approve of the transaction is... Howard Stern, Opie & Anthony and Bubba the Love Sponge.

"One only has to evaluate the current programming now offered by Sirius and XM to recognize that our concerns and fears are well founded," the NCNW wrote in their letter to the FCC Chairman. "Programming such as Howard Stern, Opie and Anthony, and Bubba the Love Sponge - which help to perpetuate racist and sexist stereotypes in our culture - drive the business of both companies." (emphasis added)

The African-American women's organization goes on to say: "A Sirius - XM satellite radio monopoly will focus it (sic) resources on only its most profitable audiences, with more of the same lowest-common-denominator programming of the Howard Stern variety."

That's quite the assumption for a post-merger scenario.

And if that's the case, why wait? Both companies already seek profitability right now. Why would XM hire Oprah Winfrey, Dr. Maya Angelou, and the Reverend Al Sharpton - after hiring Opie & Anthony mind you - if selling out to the "lowest-common-denominator" was such a priority?

Howard Stern, Opie & Anthony and Bubba the Love Sponge constitute only 3 channels out of over 300 combined - that's 1% of all programming offered by Sirius and XM together - let's not forget that.

The National Council of Negro Women goes on to voice their support for Georgetown Partners. Georgetown, which also has the support of the Rev. Jesse Jackson, is asking that Sirius and XM be required to hand over 20% of their channel capacity so as to "create competition and diversity" in satellite radio.

Disgusting.
Download complete letter in PDF form:
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6519837364

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
It must be official because "Perpetuate" was used in a sentence.

Pearce

Dec 16, 2007
Ohio
I absolutely can't understand this point of view. There is no logic behind it. First of all, you're paying for the fucking service, if you don't want to listen to Stern or O&A then don't buy the radio. Secondly, and I know this a crazy idea off the bat, if you want satellite radio and you don't want to hear them.....turn the goddamn channel. Noone has ever been sat in front of a radio and forced to listen.

The shittiest thing about when the media makes a big deal over something that was said on a comedy show, it's always people that don't even listen to the show and didn't hear the comments that get pissed. I have to know: What the flying fuck is the purpose of trying to censor a show you don't listen to? How is it going to affect your life at all if someone with a show you don't listen to is punished because you complained about something you didn't even witness firsthand? Is it going to make you sleep better at night to know that you're accomplishing nothing but ruining the fun of the fans of the program?

People like whoever came up with this horse shit need to go jump in a lake.

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
I absolutely can't understand this point of view. There is no logic behind it. First of all, you're paying for the fucking service, if you don't want to listen to Stern or O&A then don't buy the radio. Secondly, and I know this a crazy idea off the bat, if you want satellite radio and you don't want to hear them.....turn the goddamn channel. Noone has ever been sat in front of a radio and forced to listen.

The shittiest thing about when the media makes a big deal over something that was said on a comedy show, it's always people that don't even listen to the show and didn't hear the comments that get pissed. I have to know: What the flying fuck is the purpose of trying to censor a show you don't listen to? How is it going to affect your life at all if someone with a show you don't listen to is punished because you complained about something you didn't even witness firsthand? Is it going to make you sleep better at night to know that you're accomplishing nothing but ruining the fun of the fans of the program?

People like whoever came up with this horse shit need to go jump in a lake.
It's just a bunch of cunty black women trying to give themselves power that don't have nor deserve.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
What a bunch of busybody washwomen. And in this case, they're really washwomen.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
It's obviously a ploy to just get more channels for the balloons. Fuck these race baiting pieces of shit in their fried chicken smelling fuckholes.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
Yeah sure, people are lining up to appease Black Women.

meanmarv

"café con piernas"
May 26, 2005
Montana
This is just like a Jesse Jackson shake-down. Give us something for nothing. We will have the "Fried Chicken Channel"

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
By my calculations - XM has 170 channels and only 9 of them are XL channels. The rest are "family friendly".

Sirius claims to have over 130 channels but their program guide doesn't indicate what channels are XL/uncensored. But let's go with 10 since Hoo Hoo has 2 channels.

Between the two companies there are over 300 channels and maybe 20 of them are aimed at the "lowest common denominator". That's 15% of all the channels (I suck at math but I think that's right)

And if this merger does go through, there won't be 300 stations and the XL music channels will be merged so that there isn't a repetition of uncensored hip-hop etc. So there will still be less than 20% of the channels catering to us - the lowest common denominator.

So where's the problem?

Stalker Patti

Dec 10, 2002
Midtown,Manhattan
These ladies need to shut up. I am sure that not one lady in there even owns a satellite radio, and has ever heard the particular show they feel concerned about. They need to understand that not everyone agrees with them on their take on values in Entertainment and the Media. They need to go get a life.

F

FuckAFetus

Wouldn't a merger mean one less "misogynistic, racist" radio provider, since they would be combined? Logic would say that would be a plus for them.

Rackrunner

I am now Zombie Overlord, thanks to Wes Mantooth
Nov 19, 2005
Only 1 of those 300 channels is black only. It's not about content, it's about shaking XM and Sirius down to get 20% of the channels just like XM 169.
The Foxxhole on Sirius is too. So 2 of 300.

Hydrosludge

We can do it comrade
Apr 25, 2005
I don't give a fuck what thier point is as long as they are against the merger.

Didn't rev al sell out and get air time on one of XM's stations? Does that make 3?

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
Well according to these cunts, it should be 60 channels of black only content.
They have 3 hip hop stations on XM ... isn't that black content? And what about "Queen" Ophrah having her own channel? Doesn't she count for anything?

XM's channels are pretty diverse - one just has to look at the station lineup to see that. The Asians, the French, the Spanish and even the Canadians are represented as well as the Blacks.

Give me a break :icon_roll