[Question] NE1 know about cards for net access?

Off-White-Power

High maintenance, low tolerance
May 12, 2007
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Hi guys -- My bro-in-law is getting his first computer (he's 47 and has been living under a smoke haze rock all his life) and doesn't have nor want cable but needs Internet access. I seem to recall cards (Sprint?) that ppl who travel use with little antennae, like a PCMCIA card? Anyone know about these or an alternative? Costs? Thanks bunches.

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
Mar 7, 2009
NJ
I use Sprint & its OK - it cost $60 per month

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Sprint just announced a 5gb cap per month. Check out Clear.

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
Mar 7, 2009
NJ
Sprint just announced a 5gb cap per month. Check out Clear.
Clear is really bad from what I hear
A friend had it & returned it

He can also get web access without cable TV too

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
I got my Sister, who lives in the middle of nowhere, one of these last year.

It's $79 for the device, and max of $50/mo. for 3G. Last year, it was a decent option. I'm not completely up to date on alternatives.
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband/ovation-mc760.html

Edit: You can get the device for $58 at Amazon and...ooof...Walmart.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Hi guys -- My bro-in-law is getting his first computer (he's 47 and has been living under a smoke haze rock all his life) and doesn't have nor want cable but needs Internet access. I seem to recall cards (Sprint?) that ppl who travel use with little antennae, like a PCMCIA card? Anyone know about these or an alternative? Costs? Thanks bunches.
What do you mean he "doesn't have nor want cable"? If he doesn't need to travel and lives in a populated area, DSL is exponentially cheaper than cellular, and usually isn't capped at 5GB like cellular internet is. He doesn't have to rewire his house, he can get DSL through his phone company with a wireless router and go that route.

Off-White-Power

High maintenance, low tolerance
May 12, 2007
Shenandoah Valley, VA
These fast responses are why I love you guys. Totally forgot about dsl after living in the land of cable modems for so long.