Nearly 1 in 6 Americans receive food stamps, including 26% of Washington D.C. residents

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Food-stamp use grew 2.3% in June from a year earlier, with nearly one-sixth of the U.S. population receiving benefits.

Illinois showed the largest enrollment increase from last year with a 14.7% gain, according to Agriculture Department data released Friday. Wyoming was in second place, with rolls up 11.1% since the same time last year. Utah experienced the largest annual decline in food-stamp use, dropping 11.2%, among a dozen states to post a decrease. (Enrollment also decreased in Arizona, Idaho, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Pennsylvania and Washington.)

One of the largest social safety net programs in the United States, food stamps – formally known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP – expanded substantially during and after the recession, with enrollment rising about 70% from 2007 to 2011. At the same time, the government also temporarily increased benefits and allowed users in the hardest-hit areas to receive aid for longer-than-usual periods of time. The average monthly benefit was $133 last year.
http://us.wsj.com/articles/BL-REB-20281

f kane

Known Traffic Menace
Feb 10, 2010
"We really didn't need those manufacturing jobs anymore, we will all make our middle class salaries in computers now. Besides it is racist not to want to give those jobs to brown people in other countries. Nafta will surely be good for this country. How can it go wrong? Hell just the money you'll save at Walmart alone will make up for your stable benefits and wages that are lost to Mexico and China. Anybody against this plan is a gloom and doom person. And for a kick-ass bonus we'll just let those wonderful folks from south of the border stream in so you will get a burrito the size of a football for five dollars and never have to worry about doing those lame landscaping job ever again." -America in the 1990's

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
"We really didn't need those manufacturing jobs anymore, we will all make our middle class salaries in computers now. Besides it is racist not to want to give those jobs to brown people in other countries. Nafta will surely be good for this country. How can it go wrong? Hell just the money you'll save at Walmart alone will make up for your stable benefits and wages that are lost to Mexico and China. Anybody against this plan is a gloom and doom person. And for a kick-ass bonus we'll just let those wonderful folks from south of the border stream in so you will get a burrito the size of a football for five dollars and never have to worry about doing those lame landscaping job ever again." -America in the 1990's
Extremely accurate except for the racism is part. I would of went with "What do you mean I should do a job where I sweat, get dirty, and work long hours dad? Fuck that ill be an office drone and never have to work hard and make just as much as you"

ericd

I'm a real fucko
Aug 21, 2009
N.C.
I remember watching the Presidential debate where all three candidates; Clinton, Bush and even Perot ("pennies on the dollar"), were in total agreement on the benefits of NAFTA. It was absolutely the turning point for this country both financially and politically. Effectivly wiping out the middle class and destroying American manufacturing in one fell swoop.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
I remember watching the Presidential debate where all three candidates; Clinton, Bush and even Perot ("pennies on the dollar"), were in total agreement on the benefits of NAFTA. It was absolutely the turning point for this country both financially and politically. Effectivly wiping out the middle class and destroying American manufacturing in one fell swoop.
I thought Perot was vehemently against NAFTA?

ericd

I'm a real fucko
Aug 21, 2009
N.C.
You're right, my mistake. Perot's "pennies on the dollar" quote actually referenced post cold war Russia. Thank you for the correction

f kane

Known Traffic Menace
Feb 10, 2010
I thought Perot was vehemently against NAFTA?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

I was no real Perot fan but looking back this guy was dead-on right about some things.

f kane

Known Traffic Menace
Feb 10, 2010

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
I'm a 90s/2000s kid. Lies I remember...

1. "We are becoming a service sector economy. Manufacturing is outmoded."

2. "Everybody will go to college and get an electronics related degree and job and make out like a bandit."

3. "We won't lose jobs overseas due to NAFTA and other free trade agreements."

4. "Trade deficits? Bah, who cares about that! We'll be too busy fiddling around with computers and counting our money
to worry about a trade deficit!"

4. "Simpson-Mazzoli amnesty for 4 million people and a 4 fold increase to the immigration rate will not depress wages and make it harder for citizens to get a job.
You racist fucker!"

Discoman

Donator
Feb 21, 2010
New York
I always liked this debate on Charlie Rose.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
I do not know when that video was shot but it could work for today. He explained everything as clearly as anyone can and made so much sense that finding a debate is impossible. Basically what he said happened or is happening.

Oh I just saw that was in 1994, damn he was dead on.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
I do not know when that video was shot but it could work for today. He explained everything as clearly as anyone can and made so much sense that finding a debate is impossible. Basically what he said happened or is happening.

Oh I just saw that was in 1994, damn he was dead on.
The biggest part of it I think was in section 4 or 5 when he said capital, at the expense of labor, would enter into hundreds of trillions of dollars of derivatives markets (which he called "extremely dangerous").

In 1994! Everything he said would happen...happened. Pity he died in 1997.