Need a simple ans

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
On a related note, I just picked up my new IBM laptop, and I can't find the Thinkpad anywhere.

Boo

New Wackbag
Jan 27, 2012
Atlanta
Toshiba has several models of Laptops. The most popular are the Satellite, Qosmio and Portege models. I like the Qosmio best.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Some Toshiba laptops have a tendency to split senten

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
what did the best buy guy say?
"We have this really cool Acer on sale. Would you like to buy the extended warranty and Geek Squad bloatware removal service? How about a nice iPad? Do you need any floppy discs? Looks like you could use a new cell phone!"

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
No fucking way that thing cost $1095! What the fuck! Its a HDMI cable!
They are scamming analog-era audio/videophiles. My grandfather is an oldschool audiophile and he used to fall for this stuff until I explained to him that digital signals either work or don't work. There is no in-between like in analog. The only thing that matters in digital for end users is your D/A converter (the device that takes those ones and zeros and turns them into speaker cone vibrations - your stereo system/computer/whatever). $1,095 cable = $3 cable. Sure, the former might last you longer and survive more abuse, but for 99.99999% of people that doesn't matter.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
They are scamming analog-era audio/videophiles.
Dont forget suburban housewives and dummies who dont know any better. My mom got my brother a Blu Ray player for xmas 2 years ago and she was proud that she got the proper cables and everything that the guy told her she had to get. Monster HDMI cables. I told her that I hope she kept the receipt because she was returning them the next day. Im sure that if the guy told her that she needed a new microwave to make the dvd spin in the machine she would have contemplated pick one up as well.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Dont forget suburban housewives and dummies who dont know any better. My mom got my brother a Blu Ray player for xmas 2 years ago and she was proud that she got the proper cables and everything that the guy told her she had to get. Monster HDMI cables. I told her that I hope she kept the receipt because she was returning them the next day. Im sure that if the guy told her that she needed a new microwave to make the dvd spin in the machine she would have contemplated pick one up as well.
Yeah, but that is the $150 scam. This is so overpriced I gotta think their target audience is old fogie audiophiles.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
He said that "Satellite" was what they called the technology that gives the Toshiba A much broader wifi range and much faster connection on wi-fi.
wow... just wow. I wish one of those assholes would have tried to tell me that. The first work laptop I got in 1996 was a toshiba satellite. Wifi didn't really exist for consumers until what... like 1999? 2000? THe first work laptop I got with built in WiFi was in 2005. (had a wifi card in 03 or so)

edit:
from wiki
802.11 technology has its origins in a 1985 ruling by the US Federal Communications Commission that released the ISM band for unlicensed use.[18] In 1991 NCR Corporation with AT&T invented the precursor to 802.11 intended for use in cashier systems. The first wireless products were under the name WaveLAN.

Vic Hayes has been called the "father of Wi-Fi". He was involved in designing the initial standards within the IEEE.[19][20]

In 1992 and 1996, Australian organisation the CSIRO obtained patents for a method later used in Wi-Fi to "unsmear" the signal.[21] In April 2009, 14 tech companies agreed to pay CSIRO for infringements on the CSIRO patents.[22] This lead to WiFi being attributed as an Australian invention. [23]

In 1999, the Wi-Fi Alliance was formed as a trade association to hold the Wi-Fi trademark under which most products are sold.[24]
The first laptop I got to play with that had built in wifi was a Macbook that my roommate bought in 2003. I guess that's about when it really started to become mainstream.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
He said that "Satellite" was what they called the technology that gives the Toshiba A much broader wifi range and much faster connection on wi-fi.
:haha7:

Gotta admire the guy's imagination. I think it really was just a reference of how their laptops could be a complete "satellite" workspace when you were away from your office.