Need bartending/drink making advice

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I'm starting a new gig bartending for a company that does some pretty big privately catered events (thanks to whoever posted the idea in OAarchive's job search thread). They do everything from small weddings to big corporate events and it seems like a great opportunity.

I waited tables for years and then bartended for a few years but have been out of the loop as far as what are the "hip" and "trendy" new bullshit drinks the 20-somethings are out there drinking right now. I left the industry about 6 years ago to pursue my degree field but really miss the fun and easy money from working in the bar/restaurant industry.

I know how to make drinks but was wondering what were some good recipes for making say, shooter-style drinks for a group of chicks at a wedding or some sales managers trying to get wild and crazy at a corporate meeting. Back when I was bartending, there was slippery nipples, brainfarts, stuff like that.

I don't go "clubbing" anymore, and was never into anything more than martinis, or maybe a beer and shots of tequila when I did so I don't want to look like an idiot recommending something that was popular in the 90's.

Any new martini flavors that are popular?
Any new mixed-cordial type "shooter" style drinks that you make in a martini shaker?
Any trendy "screaming orgasm" or "sex on the beach" (ughhh) type cocktails that people will be asking for?

I'd like a couple of go-to recipes for when a group comes up to the bar and wants something "different" for me to recommend them. And it doesn't have to be potent and designed to get people hammered. These are going to be mostly high-end gigs with hosted bars (meaning the people won't even be paying for their drinks out of pocket). So a lot of the people going to these things won't be regular drinkers familiar with this kind of stuff and won't want to get smashed at their niece's wedding or their annual Christmas party.

Salud!
:drunk:

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
If you have a smart phone get the Mixology app. It helped me out so much when I started. Mostly the new things are flavored vodkas. Whipped cream, Cotton candy,ect... Bitches love them. But unless your gonna be doing "Hip" "Trendy" "Young" crowds. You'll just be getting the average rum and cokes with a few curve balls mixed in that's where the App helps..

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Jager and Tuaca are the most popular shots around here, typically either straight or in Red Bull.

Good chick shots I know of are Nerds, Vegas Bombs, Red-Headed Slut, Lindsey Lohan (RHS with a splash of coke), pretty much the same old shit for the most part. It's been too long, so recipes are gonna come from Mixology. (which I also highly recommend)

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Good chick shots I know of are Nerds, Vegas Bombs, Red-Headed Slut, Lindsey Lohan (RHS with a splash of coke), pretty much the same old shit for the most part.
Those were always at the top of the list when I was tending, but I'm about as out of practice as the party cock.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
So a lot of the people going to these things won't be regular drinkers familiar with this kind of stuff and won't want to get smashed at their niece's wedding or their annual Christmas party.
People normally don't get smashed as those types of events?

I go to the bars a lot less (probably around once a month) than I use to, but I've noticed Red Bull moves faster than any given brand of alcohol. I'd look into drinks that use it as an ingredient. Rum seems to be selling the best in my area overall at bars (to men and women both), followed by vodka and then tequila. I can't really recommend specific recipes since I usually take shots or drink whiskey & cokes, and even women around here don't really buy specialty drinks beyond the typical Kamikaze.

Of course I live in a town of 10,000 people where our main industries are logging and growing pot, so we may not be of the same ilk as say your Berkeley crowd.

My dad does a lot of bar tending for all the organizations he and my mom belong to. I remember him mentioning trying to have more ingredients on hand to make special drinks and saying it wasn't worth it. People probably stick to the basics at these types of events. His buddy usually makes a bowl of Sangria and he says that goes faster than anything else.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
If you have a smart phone get the Mixology app. It helped me out so much when I started. Mostly the new things are flavored vodkas. Whipped cream, Cotton candy,ect... Bitches love them. But unless your gonna be doing "Hip" "Trendy" "Young" crowds. You'll just be getting the average rum and cokes with a few curve balls mixed in that's where the App helps..
Thanks. And Mixology looks cool.

Jager and Tuaca are the most popular shots around here, typically either straight or in Red Bull.

Good chick shots I know of are Nerds, Vegas Bombs, Red-Headed Slut, Lindsey Lohan (RHS with a splash of coke), pretty much the same old shit for the most part. It's been too long, so recipes are gonna come from Mixology. (which I also highly recommend)
I've heard of Nerds and RHS, definitely add the Vegas Bomb to my repertoire. Can't believe Tuaca is popular. My parents drank that shit in the 70's.

People normally don't get smashed as those types of events?
That's what my boss said and I didn't buy it either, but I guess these are a bit more high-end functions so he said it's very rare.

I go to the bars a lot less (probably around once a month) than I use to, but I've noticed Red Bull moves faster than any given brand of alcohol
Energy drinks are very popular here so I'm looking for some good recipes for those.

I went to the Cosmopolitan in Vegas a few weeks ago and hadn't felt so old and out of place like that in a long time. In their bars and lounges I didn't recognize a lot of the drinks people were ordering. This won't be a situation where I'll be tending bar in a place like that so I don't need to know too much, I just don't want to look like an idiot since I've been out of the loop for so long.

Poison The Well

Somebody poisoned the water-hole!
Jan 7, 2008
Texas
Mind Eraser

2 oz Vodka
2 oz Kahlua
2 oz Tonic
In that order, the liquor/tonic should form layers.

Serve in a cocktail glass over ice with a straw. Ingested through the straw (at the bottom of the glass, taking in each layer one at a time) as fast as possible.

flyerfan116

Fuckin savages
Apr 14, 2005
NJ
can't go wrong with an old fashioned New Orleans hurricane...usually as a drink but could be a shooter too

2 shots of light or dark rum (or one of each)
shot of 151
Equal parts OJ & pineapple juice
splash of grenadine

glad to know red bull & jager is still around. Went to a bar in Philly the other night asked the bartender for red bull & jager, she looked at me like i had 2 heads and told me she never heard of mixing them before. I thought maybe i was so old that the popular drinks we used to get were out of style, but i guess she was just an idiot.

And if you want to go international, i have some family over from England and apparently the drink there is red wine & coke over ice....sounds revolting to me but they drink it damn near every night...then again when i was 23 i guess i drank some weird shit too

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
can't go wrong with an old fashioned New Orleans hurricane...usually as a drink but could be a shooter too

2 shots of light or dark rum (or one of each)
shot of 151
Equal parts OJ & pineapple juice
splash of grenadine

glad to know red bull & jager is still around. Went to a bar in Philly the other night asked the bartender for red bull & jager, she looked at me like i had 2 heads and told me she never heard of mixing them before. I thought maybe i was so old that the popular drinks we used to get were out of style, but i guess she was just an idiot.

And if you want to go international, i have some family over from England and apparently the drink there is red wine & coke over ice....sounds revolting to me but they drink it damn near every night...then again when i was 23 i guess i drank some weird shit too
Wanna have something weird, try Jameson and Cranberry. Surprisingly delicious.

afternoonquil

Apology Ostrich
Apr 2, 2011
2/3 amaretto
1/3 grenadine (or red color liquor)
the yellow pieces of candy corn

it's called

Cornfilled Bloody Diarrhea

#shredding

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
lol, I so can't fuck with hard liquor anymore. That ship has long sailed.

Anyway this show is awesome when it comes to drinking.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Yeah 30's are a lovely age aren't they?
I just turned 31 recently and I can drink as much beer as I want (for the most part) but throw hard liquor or mixed drinks into the mix and I'm fucked up for days afterwards. It would take a good 2 or 3 days to get right again.

As a matter of fact I can't drink the following liquors anymore due to over doing it: Jack Daniels, Southern Comfort, Jaegermeister, Makers Mark, Vodka (unless with something really fruity), Jameson, Tullamore Dew, Johnny Walker Red, Blue and Black, Rumplemintz, Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Champagne is a big No No.

Sep 28, 2010
I just turned 31 recently and I can drink as much beer as I want (for the most part) but throw hard liquor or mixed drinks into the mix and I'm fucked up for days afterwards. It would take a good 2 or 3 days to get right again.
Yeah i'm gonna be 32 in a month. It's amazing, I think back ten years and i was immune to everything and now I drink a few and i'm groggy for 3 days. And I workout regularly and it still doesn't help.

I wish I was 15 again.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Yeah i'm gonna be 32 in a month. It's amazing, I think back ten years and i was immune to everything and now I drink a few and i'm groggy for 3 days. And I workout regularly and it still doesn't help.

I wish I was 15 again.
Amen to that. I look at all these young guys I work with and when we travel on work trips they are out crushing it til 4am. They look at me when I cut it early like I'm crazy and I tell them wait like 8 more years when you hit that god damn wall hard and fast. Fuck it's depressing sometimes.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
If the parties are going to be mostly in California, you might want to brush up on your wine knowledge. Lately I've noticed at our big catered parties/events, the drinks centered around either the boring (rum & coke, jack & coke) or wine.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California

I wish I was 15 again.
I'm 28 and my hangovers are starting to get pretty bad. They only last 1/2 to 1 day, but I am usually pretty useless on those days. This is a pretty new development, I use to be able to binge all weekend and would be fine on Monday.

That said, I still have to drink a pretty decent amount to be that hungover... probably 12+ ounces of liquor.

Poison The Well

Somebody poisoned the water-hole!
Jan 7, 2008
Texas
I get more work done when I'm hungover than when I'm not hungover. I don't know why but I think I just end up working harder so that I can get shit down quicker and therefore go lay done earlier, if that makes any sort of sense.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I get more work done when I'm hungover than when I'm not hungover. I don't know why but I think I just end up working harder so that I can get shit down quicker and therefore go lay done earlier, if that makes any sort of sense.
Same way.

Especially since my world revolves around selling over the phone... I think they're used to me being the nice guy, so on hung-over days I don't have time for their excuses and I'm probably more of a dick than usual => They write checks to get rid of me. (Something they knew they were going to do anyway, mind you. I never call new clients on those days)

Oh well. #shredding

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Knowledge will be the most important thing if you're doing high class gigs in California. Know your stock on bourbon and scotch for those types, know what you've got on hand for all of the types of wine (typically for events, you won't have much of a selection, just know the types and what goes with what), and possibly tequila types. Typically, when it comes to rum it's just "what's the well" and they'll move on if they don't like it. Vodka douches will ask for it by name like it fucking matters when you murder it with cranberry or red bull. No one drinks gin anymore. If they ask for a martini, ask them their preference, they'll know it.

It'll all come back to you dude. Just get the mixology app for shit you've never heard of. Almost no one asks for recommendations anymore, and if someone does you can just fill in the blank with whatever's been popular in the crowd.

Easy recommendation for people looking for a mixed drink and obviously new to the game, grape flavored vodka (usually 3 Olives brand) and 7. Easy, easy crowd pleaser that everyone loves. If you don't have flavored vodka, just throw vodka in a rocks glass with 7 and float it with your handiest fruit juice. Always worked for me, and you can even make up stupid names for whatever you decide to serve based on how bored you are. (You want to pour those people light, if they don't know what they're ordering, they don't know their tolerance)

Yeah, I bartended for a spell between the mortgage crisis and the oil boom. ;)

#stillshredding

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Wanna have something weird, try Jameson and Cranberry. Surprisingly delicious.
Add Apple Pucker and you've got a "Washington Apple." That drink's been around for awhile, although it's made with Crown Royal instead of Jameson's.

I wish I was 15 again.
Working out is for losers. You should take up a more physical activity like skateboarding.

#shredding

If the parties are going to be mostly in California, you might want to brush up on your wine knowledge. Lately I've noticed at our big catered parties/events, the drinks centered around either the boring (rum & coke, jack & coke) or wine.
The wine thing scares me since I don't drink it anymore and didn't even know the good years anymore.

Vodka douches will ask for it by name like it fucking matters when you murder it with cranberry or red bull.
That's hilarious. Nothing worse than vodka snobs. I love when ordering a bloody mary in a place and the server tries to "upsell" me with some expensive vodka. Why? If it's not a peppered vodka I not going to be able to even taste it.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
Serve up some Harvey Wallbangers and some fondue. You'll be the life of the event.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Dont forget the mint juleps!