OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Need Help From Any Music Gear Guys

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by jimmyslostchin, Aug 31, 2012.

1. jimmyslostchin

jimmyslostchin Malarkey is slang for bullshit isn't it?

Anyone that's into guitars and stuff and can help me out? I have a few guitars and amps just sitting in the basement mostly collecting dust. Once in a blue moon I might pick them up, plug in and play but mostly I just pick up my acoustic. I'd like to sell the extra gear but have no idea what a fair price for any of it is. It's decent stuff, I just have no clue what I should list it for or where to sell it.

2. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

We need more info. Brand? Model? Age? Condition? Purchased new or used? Pictures would also be very helpful.

By the way, I recommend keeping at least one electric and one amp just in case you feel the itch to play them in future. There's nothing worse than getting that itch and having no way to scratch it.

3. jimmyslostchin

That's what I was thinking, I'd really just like to get rid of my big ass half stack, some of the pedals I don't use and maybe one or two of the guitars that just sit in cases.

I'll try and snag some pics, for now here's what I've got:

Marhsall JCM 900 High Gain head, missing the foot switch to alternate channels.
    Marshall 4x12 slant cabinet. Both of those were purchased in the late 90's. So they're from around there.

A Fender Telecaster, blonde with maple neck, bought it in 2005.

Gibson SG, also bought it in 2005.

A Fender Vibrolux I bought new in 2005. I'd probably keep that.

A shitty Samick Gibson knock off. Late 90's. Might be worth 50 bucks.

A Dunlop wah-wah pedal from 2005.

Vox wah-wah- from 2005.

Shitty Peavy solid state amp I bought in like 1995. Also maybe worth 50 bucks.

Danelectro distortion pedal from the late 90's.

Everything's in good condition. I bought the newer stuff with the intention of getting back into playing out and it just never happened, so it's not like any of it ever went on gigs and got banged up. It's just sat there.

The Marshall may need new tubes, when it was still in service, before I got the Vibrolux I was having issues with it, and new tubes would be the likely culprit I think since it's over 10 years old.

4. Lord Zero

I don't know much about amp value, but you should be able to get around $200 combined minimum for the Telecaster and the SG. (Being American-made ups the Telecaster's value considerably.) You might be able to pull in $25-35 each for the wah-wah pedals. Other than that, I don't see anything that stands out as a must-have piece of eqiupment.

5. jimmyslostchin

Yeah the Telecaster's an American made, I'm mostly unsure what I'd get for the amp and cabinet. I tried checking Ebay and it seems like the sellers there are a bit optimistic. I have a custom Stratocaster that was a Christmas present when I was 17, I'm definitely keeping that, but if I got a few bucks for the other stuff I'd be happy.

6. Lord Zero

They may be a bit optimistic, but then again, these are Marshall amps we're talking about. That's a trusted, world-famous brand with a respectable legacy. That should count for something if you sell it directly to a buyer instead to a music store that might try to low-ball you.

7. jimmyslostchin

Yeah I'd like to avoid selling it to a shop for that reason. It'd be like Pawn Stars. "Oh you have a vintage 1965 head used by Eric Clapton? Yeah we'll give you $150 for it."

8. Sunsetspawn

Sunsetspawn Registered User

If the amp needs a re-tubing then that's probably at least $200 you need to knock off the asking price. The combined price and hassle of re-tubing makes my inner sloth get all "fuck-thatty."

9. Sunsetspawn

Sunsetspawn Registered User

Gee, only a double post, I thought for sure with that dogshit vomiting I would see 12 of these mother fuckers.

10. Lord Zero

Since we're talking about gear, what used treasures do the rest of you own? I'm quite fond of my New York-manufactured Big Muff Pi.

11. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

i used to have the russian big muff.
    if i wasn't broke, i'd certainly take some of that off your hands.