Need Help With Making DVDs

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
Here's what I want to do: make DVDs out of any video source (avi, mpg, VHS tapes, etc.) that are playable on the TV. I don't want to buy one of those combo VHS/DVD recorders, but I still want to be able to convert VHS tapes to DVD. And I also want to burn videos on my PC to a DVD that I can watch on my TV.

How can I do this easily, and with minimal hardware/software purchase? My PC is already equipped with a DVD burner.

Thanx in advance....

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
Jul 7, 2005
Morris Plains, NJ
if your PC doesn't have a video card with A/V inputs get a card that does(this way you can hook your VCR up to your PC).

from there you can purchase NERO Burning Rom. that's what use to do what you stated above.

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
1. If I hook my VCR up to the A/V input on the computer and make a disc that way, does it set up chapters somehow, or is it just one long chapter on the DVD?

2. What about buying a standalone DVD burner like you would have in your entertainment center? Then maybe run the VCR and computer into the line in on the recorder. Or is the way you described a better way to do it?

I

iamthelizardkng

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000204SWE/?tag=wackbagcom-20

this player will play anything you burn to a disc (without encoding w/ MPEG2). and its cheap too.

You will have to author the DVD if you need chapters, Nero is able to help with that as well. It will also allow you to create menus.

Apr 12, 2003
cleveland
some burning progs you can just set up auto chapters - 1 click checkbox where you just specify x minutes as a chapter break, not sure if nero has something like that or not.

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
Jul 7, 2005
Morris Plains, NJ
1. If I hook my VCR up to the A/V input on the computer and make a disc that way, does it set up chapters somehow, or is it just one long chapter on the DVD?

2. What about buying a standalone DVD burner like you would have in your entertainment center? Then maybe run the VCR and computer into the line in on the recorder. Or is the way you described a better way to do it?
nero allows you to make chapters and such.

unfortunately it takes forever to encode and burn the discs at times.

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
I

iamthelizardkng

To encode to MPEG2 (for a disc to work in a standard DVD player) takes forever. Easier to throw a avi or divx on a disc, just a regular data burn and play in that Phillips player.

spending money on software... hah. good one. :p

waycar

Jul 28, 2005
Here's what I want to do: make DVDs out of any video source (avi, mpg, VHS tapes, etc.) that are playable on the TV. I don't want to buy one of those combo VHS/DVD recorders, but I still want to be able to convert VHS tapes to DVD. And I also want to burn videos on my PC to a DVD that I can watch on my TV.

How can I do this easily, and with minimal hardware/software purchase? My PC is already equipped with a DVD burner.

Thanx in advance....
As far as VHS tapes go, I bought this device last year to do that, plus it lets me watch television on my laptop, which is kind of cool.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1961041&CatId=1427

it's only about twenty five bucks. What it is is a tv tuner, with various audio and video inputs on it, so you can hook just about anything up to it, vcr's game consoles, whatever. It comes with a dvr program, so you can record whatever is going through it and save it as an mpg file on your hard drive. The only downside is it's not HD, it's analog, but for taking your vhs tapes and turning them into video files, this thing is fucking awsome.

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
I just picked up an ADS Tech 709 USB capture device on ebay for 20 bucks. Now I just need a software to burn the discs. Nero is probably the best way to go right?

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
Anyone use Nero 7 Ultra? I have 6, but I don't think it will make video DVDs with chapters and such. I can upgrade to 7 Ultra for $64, but is it worth it, or is there a better program for cheaper?

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Nero 6 can make DVD with chapters, titles, menus, etc. I've used it for a number of family projects.

It has automatic chapter detection (looks for obvious scene changes, etc.) you can adjust the sensitivity.

It has a variety of pre-defined title and menu styles and you can create your own.

Resurrecting an old thread here, but I have a couple of quick questions...

If you convert a VHS tape using a capture device, how long a recording time can you get on a single-layer DVD on the highest-quality setting? I know the source material isn't as good as something newer, but can you get, say, two hours of video on one disc without completely wrecking the picture?

Can you use these video capture devices to just capture audio, or am I better off using the mike-in jack with an RCA-miniplug adapter?