Need home surveilance/camera help....

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Hey. I need auto record, night vision, all weather camera and some kind of recording device which can be inside or outside.

Let's just say I need to catch someone being naughty, mostly at night but I need daylight ability too.

Any suggestions as to what to get or at least a decent website to peruse (read).

Thanks,

WOW

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
Sent off an email to my boss, he gets a catalog once a month, and we usually buy our gear from there.

I'll let you know as soon as I get a response.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
My understanding is that Swann is the brand to get. I've been doing alot of research on this for a family member who is having problems with vandalism and stuff.

Costco has the best deal I have found so far overall.

Swann 4 Channel DVR & 4 CCD Day Night Cameras

You can pop a bigger hard drive in if you really need more recording time.

Fruit Monkey

Don't stare at it eat it! P-1 In trainning
Oct 4, 2004
Intransit
no joke go to www.costco.com they have shit in store for as low as 140 for 3 cams and up to 3K the 149 cams looked great ! wireless too.

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?cat=4802&eCat=BC|79|4802&lang=en-US&whse=BC&topnav=

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Hey. I need auto record, night vision, all weather camera and some kind of recording device which can be inside or outside.

Let's just say I need to catch someone being naughty, mostly at night but I need daylight ability too.

Any suggestions as to what to get or at least a decent website to peruse (read).

Thanks,

WOW
Wondering who your wife is fucking?

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Check out Microcenter. Look under Security/Home Automation

They carry most of the stuff I've gotten from other sources at great prices. Swann, Q-See, etc. I got a great outdoor nightvision camera there that had over a 100ft IR range. Most are only good for 30 to 60 feet in the dark.

They've got Swann wired packages for as little as $500 with 4 cameras and a DVR.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
The problem with the costco cams above is they have LED arrays which emit Infra-red light for the night vision to work and they have 2 drawbacks.

1- They glow red making them conspicuous.

2- The LED arrays are ony effective up to about 30 feet usually.

There are Image intensifier tube cameras available at considerably more cost, but might be better for your situation.

I've got a tube intensifier camera on the shelf I think. I think it was $350 or $450

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
The problem with the costco cams above is they have LED arrays which emit Infra-red light for the night vision to work and they have 2 drawbacks.

1- They glow red making them conspicuous.

2- The LED arrays are ony effective up to about 30 feet usually.

There are Image intensifier tube cameras available at considerably more cost, but might be better for your situation.

I've got a tube intensifier camera on the shelf I think. I think it was $350 or $450
The infrared LED lights don't have a color. They emit invisible infrared light.

So, how could they glow red?

What store clerk told you that IR LEDS burn red? :p It's just silly. They don't have tally lights on them or anything. You may want to spray paint them matte black though. I don't know why anyone would want a white or silver camera.

Fruit Monkey

Don't stare at it eat it! P-1 In trainning
Oct 4, 2004
Intransit
I fucking said they start as low as 99 or 149 and go up to 3k Jesus fucking christ !

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
WOW, what is your level of expertise with computers and electronics in general? If you're a tweaker, X10 makes some pretty cool stuff. Here's their latest special on a 4 camera system:
http://www.x10.com/products/xx16a_ed_cam_41806_promo_1019.html

If you want a "Set it and forget it" type system, I'm on the HOA BOD and we installed this one for the clubhouse in my condo in Vegas.

http://www.wilife.com/Default.aspx
They're a little pricey but were extremely easy to set up and monitor via the internet. We have the hidden camera clock as part of our setup.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Infra-RED. Right there in the word.

lol
Well it is indeed within the red spectrum of light, but it's not visible light.

Here is the definition of infrared out of the Merriam Websters dictionary:

"1: situated outside the visible spectrum at its red end -- used of radiation having a wavelength between about 700 nanometers and 1 millimeter"

So, there you have it :p It's "outside" the spectrum of visible light. :action-sm

We have a system that was installed at our farm to monitor the cabin. I haven't a clue what it is because my dad didn't ask me to set it up for him and had some company do it.

Jambi

Infidel
Nov 29, 2006
FL
Infra-RED. Right there in the word.

lol
In the word right after "infra". If infrared were visible to human eyes, we would all have "heat vision". Red light is not reflected back as infrared.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Some Infrared lights glow red... some don't.

I had a cheapie russian nightvision goggles that used a visible red LED. The good thing is a visible infrared LED looks like a spotlight in low light. Most new cameras use non-visible red LEDs though.

I hooked up an array of invisible LEDs together and made a floodlight of IR light for my lowlight camera.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Some Infrared lights glow red... some don't.

I had a cheapie russian nightvision goggles that used a visible red LED. The good thing is a visible infrared LED looks like a spotlight in low light. Most new cameras use non-visible red LEDs though.

I hooked up an array of invisible LEDs together and made a floodlight of IR light for my lowlight camera.
The reason that light showed up red for you was because it had a lens cover over it that showed up red to let you know it was turned on.

I have a Night Owl night vision mono that has a little IR spotlight to boost the surrounding area. But the light doesn't show up as red, just on the lens cover. I have a zero lux video camera that records video in complete darkness because it uses invisible IR light and the lens cover on that glows red as well, but the light isn't visible.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Thanks for all the great responses.

Here's the situation:

I live on the ground floor of an apartment building. I have an outside area like 25' x 15'.

Some ****** likes to throw shit out his window, like food, dog hair, etc, because he came from the ghetto. (only god knows how he can afford to live in my building, prolly sued McDonalds for a scalding Filet-o-Fish sammich)

Yes, I know which apartment he's in and I'm gonna point the thing right at his balcony (6' x 3', LOLORRZ!) 8th floor, about 50' above me.

If I get him on video, he MAY be evicted, which is a good thing.

It mostly happens at night so infrared is essential.

Side story; once his pit-bull (surprise!) had diahrreah so what does he do? he puts the faggoty dog out on his 6' x 3' (LOL!) balcony to shit all over everyone below him.

When I went down to the doorman to tell him there was dog shit all over my backyard he immediately laughed and said, "That guy already had to clean 3 balconies off theis morning!"

So the piece of shit had to come down and hose off my patio and squeegie my windows as I watched, standing there from the other side of the window, drinking coffee.

You'd think this ****** would come down, knock on the door and say, "Hey, my name is ******, my pit-bull shat all over your life, can I please clean it up for you?" Nah, he tried to get away with it, like a baby-in-the-dumpster.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
The infrared LED lights don't have a color. They emit invisible infrared light.

So, how could they glow red?

What store clerk told you that IR LEDS burn red? :p It's just silly. They don't have tally lights on them or anything. You may want to spray paint them matte black though. I don't know why anyone would want a white or silver camera.
The led emitters on the cheap, sam's club cameras shown in the link do indeed glow red when you look at the camera making them easily spotted in a dark setting. It's not bright, but it is visible. The light they emit however does not illuminate anything and is not visible if it were to shine on you. Yes, this effect is on purpose but is done to the LED and not the lens cover. As our friend was considering the purchase of such a camera, I though I'd warn him as to the glowing effect.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
Yes, on the cheaper models, the LED lights glow, but it IS very faint. From the sound of things, I don't think this guy is going to really notice from 8 floors up, or really pay much attention anyway.

The cheap one that my boss ordered to watch our parking lot at night glows, but it's not really THAT noticeable unless you're looking for it.

The best part, though....before rigging it up properly, it was placed inside, against a window, so the faint glow reflected, and ended up washing out the picture.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Thanks for all the great responses.

Here's the situation:

I live on the ground floor of an apartment building. I have an outside area like 25' x 15'.

Some ****** likes to throw shit out his window, like food, dog hair, etc, because he came from the ghetto. (only god knows how he can afford to live in my building, prolly sued McDonalds for a scalding Filet-o-Fish sammich)

Yes, I know which apartment he's in and I'm gonna point the thing right at his balcony (6' x 3', LOLORRZ!) 8th floor, about 50' above me.

If I get him on video, he MAY be evicted, which is a good thing.

It mostly happens at night so infrared is essential.

Side story; once his pit-bull (surprise!) had diahrreah so what does he do? he puts the faggoty dog out on his 6' x 3' (LOL!) balcony to shit all over everyone below him.

When I went down to the doorman to tell him there was dog shit all over my backyard he immediately laughed and said, "That guy already had to clean 3 balconies off theis morning!"

So the piece of shit had to come down and hose off my patio and squeegie my windows as I watched, standing there from the other side of the window, drinking coffee.

You'd think this ****** would come down, knock on the door and say, "Hey, my name is ******, my pit-bull shat all over your life, can I please clean it up for you?" Nah, he tried to get away with it, like a baby-in-the-dumpster.
****** = "person", in case anyone was wondering.

Yeah, not sure if this "person" would notice the glow. On one hand, it may be a deterrent, but I'd rather him be evicted and sent back to Flatbush. ;)

I'm studying all the sites now.

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
Feb 21, 2007
TRueWDT
I pass a "spy" shop on my way to and from work everyday. Let me know if I can stop and check prices or anything for you. I have been dying to stop in and see what they got, just never had a reason.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Yes, on the cheaper models, the LED lights glow, but it IS very faint. From the sound of things, I don't think this guy is going to really notice from 8 floors up, or really pay much attention anyway.

The cheap one that my boss ordered to watch our parking lot at night glows, but it's not really THAT noticeable unless you're looking for it..
That's not the point. The point is that BCH was RIGHT! AGAIN! :action-sm

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
No he wasn't. He said Sam's Club and we were talking about a unit available from Costco. :action-sm