Need some advice from the Gym rats out there

generoso

Blueberry Coffee diva.
Aug 5, 2004
Long Island ,NY
Ok as you may or may not know I been losing some massive weight. Now I am at the point I joined a Gym or as they like to call it a "Fitness Center". I don't want mass just tone so I have been doing 3 sets of 14 reps.
But I need a Abs routine. so far I do about 25 leg lifts, 24 roman chairs, about 30-40 crunches and some Ab machine.
I am not looking for the ripped 6 pack just something to tone mid section and get rid the best i can those pesky love handles. Any thoughts. Also any other advice would be cool. I dug up my ole routine from College football but not into bulking up. Just massive toning ....

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I can tell you the abs I have my swimmers do for core training if you want.. pm me

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
Ab muscle exercises will not get rid of love handles and belly fat. They will strengthen and enlarge your ab muscles. It's just like any weight lifting exercise, you don't do benches to get fat off your chest. You do benches to strengthen your triceps and chest.

Aerobic exercises will burn the calories. Get into swimming, nothing is better. Ellipticals are good if swimming is too inconvenient.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Ab muscle exercises will not get rid of love handles and belly fat. They will strengthen and enlarge your ab muscles. It's just like any weight lifting exercise, you don't do benches to get fat off your chest. You do benches to strengthen your triceps and chest.

Aerobic exercises will burn the calories. Get into swimming, nothing is better. Ellipticals are good if swimming is too inconvenient.
True, but Stregnthening the muscles helps to burn them calories.
In terms of swimming...4000 yards in pool swimming, or 160 legnths of a 25 yard pool at a moderate(for the casual swimmer) pace breaststroke(Freestyle or crawl burns a little more) burns about 1000 an hour calories as opposed to an elliptical which burns about 400 calories in an hour....
And you can do aerobic abs..hence my offer of the info

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
substitute 24 roman warhelmets
for the 24 roman chairs

Jan 6, 2006
Honestly, the best thing I've found for abs, no shit, the Ab Lounge. Completely toned my abs.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Swimming also loosens the muscles...making you more flexible and ergo less prone to tears possible from doing weights alone..and studies show it helps mobilize lactic acid...that stuff that helps make your muscles hurt.
I got a library of this shit in my head and more on my shelves if you want it.

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
I can give you a new set of ab workouts with instructions if you wan't, here is an example of what I would reccomend;

1.) Crunch With Legs Eleveated (25-30 reps)
2.) Side Oblique Crunch (20-25 reps)
3.) Side Oblique Leg Raise (12-25 reps)
4.) Decline Reverse Crunch (15-20 reps)
5.) Decline Straight Leg Life With Thrust (15-20 reps)
6.) Crunch With Legs In (20-25 reps)

It is very true that overdoing your abs if you are overweight and out of shape will just hurt them, and it will hold or "store," fat. And just like you are doing with the weights start with less stress and more reps. By the way, try hitting the 20rep mark for your first set EVERY first set when lifting, rest less in between sets and get moving to combine cardio and weights, very simple more intense, more fun.

*start low on the abs, for example #1 says 25-30, too hard, then try 15. Good luck! (let me know if you want a new routine after this one, I can do it in just a few seconds)

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I can give you a new set of ab workouts with instructions if you wan't, here is an example of what I would reccomend;

1.) Crunch With Legs Eleveated (25-30 reps)
2.) Side Oblique Crunch (20-25 reps)
3.) Side Oblique Leg Raise (12-25 reps)
4.) Decline Reverse Crunch (15-20 reps)
5.) Decline Straight Leg Life With Thrust (15-20 reps)
6.) Crunch With Legs In (20-25 reps)

*start low on the abs, for example #1 says 25-30, too hard, then try 15. Good luck! (let me know if you want a new routine after this one, I can do it in just a few seconds)
Wow! that is close to what I have my swimmers do..although rotate through it.

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
Pilates is your friend. If you can get your hands on a beginner's video or if they offer a beginner's class at your gym, give it a try.

Turtle

WACKBAGGER
Jun 8, 2005
This is my abdominals workout

Fitness Ball Crunches 2x15
Bent knee raises on a flat bench 2x15
Twisting hyperextensions 2x as many as you can get (for me 8)
Seated incline bench twist (use a broom stick) 2x15
Hanging raises (use gyms hanging chair) 2x15
Twisting crunches 2x30

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
True, but Stregnthening the muscles helps to burn them calories.
In terms of swimming...4000 yards in pool swimming, or 160 legnths of a 25 yard pool at a moderate(for the casual swimmer) pace breaststroke(Freestyle or crawl burns a little more) burns about 1000 an hour calories as opposed to an elliptical which burns about 400 calories in an hour....
And you can do aerobic abs..hence my offer of the info
I do about 800 calories / hour on the eliptical. But I have perfect blood pressure, don't recommend it for everyone. Once I did 1000 but felt like I was gonna die. I was sweating so much I shorted out my headphones.

Cromwell

Sep 28, 2004
Westbury, Long Island
If you wanna "lose fat" - just do more cardio. Plain and simple.

Running. Best exercise ever.

You don't even need to belong to a gym to do it. :icon_wink

generoso

Blueberry Coffee diva.
Aug 5, 2004
Long Island ,NY
Thanks for the all the advice. Swimming is way out though.
1st I can't swim
and
2nd the gym doesn't have a pool.
I do about 1000/cal a hour on the treadmill my blood pressure is now 115/74 with a resting heartrate of 71. that ellpitiacl machine of death is cool just have to work up to it do about 10 minutes cool down a day on it.
And Cromwell I love walking tried the jogging thing, when I was 379 just walking around town was awesome and I shed tons. But now the weather is gonna turn cold and my Healthcare pays for you membership as long as you go 50 times in 6 months.
I'll Nortons routine a go for the next month. And see how it works. Thanks for all the help.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I almost totally forgot:
Boxing.....half an hour on the balls of the feet, hitting a heavy bag (aggressive music like Nine Inch Nails or Rob Zombie a necessity) I learned about it in a coaching class, was skeptical, so I tried it..lost 20 lbs really fast..I tried to implement it on my team but it was cost prohibative, and parents thought it too violent. But the twisting and impact... damn great workout!
Course, I don't worry much about my bp it is low to begin with.

And while I agree it is great, running has a few drawbacks. A few problems arise for heavier people: Impact injuries to the foot, knee, shins, heel, and hips. Anyone who wants to start that should get the info needed about it

generoso

Blueberry Coffee diva.
Aug 5, 2004
Long Island ,NY
I was thinking about getting a set of boxing gloves they have all those heavy bags and the hanging nut sack from the ceiling thing. Anyway off for the 3 mile walk to the gym. thanks once again

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
pick up the latest issue of Mens Health and check out Jason Stathams work out. 35 minutes a day is all you need. his work out is brutal. that will build your core like you wouldnt believe

i like to do my lifting and abs before i do any cardio. studies show you burn more calories than if you do cardio first then lift weights.

OfficerCornjob

Impossible to walk in this muck.
Aug 7, 2007
Imaginationland
I find myself having to do alot more cardio since my metabolism has decided to disappear the second I hit 23. I was one of those guys who just lifted without any cardio.

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
I do about 800 calories / hour on the eliptical. But I have perfect blood pressure, don't recommend it for everyone. Once I did 1000 but felt like I was gonna die. I was sweating so much I shorted out my headphones.

hahahahah, try doing 1200 calories EVERY SINGLE DAY, with 1700-2000 being your max day :action-sm

and that's just cardio, I do ten minutes of abs, then about fourty of lifting, and end with a cool down of ten on the bike,,,granted im an alcoholic, so I have that mentality, and if you look below at my sig pic of paps that could explain a little- also I now take lipo 6 AND superpump :)

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
hahahahah, try doing 1200 calories EVERY SINGLE DAY, with 1700-2000 being your max day :action-sm

and that's just cardio, I do ten minutes of abs, then about fourty of lifting, and end with a cool down of ten on the bike,,,granted im an alcoholic, so I have that mentality, and if you look below at my sig pic of paps that could explain a little- also I now take lipo 6 AND superpump :)
What the fuck are you eating? :action-sm

I guess beer does add up.