Need some router purchasing advice

Smokezilla

U. S. Backstroke Roulette Champion
Jul 30, 2005
BumFuck-Egypt, KY
My wife is contemplating getting me a wireless router so I can play my XBox 360 online for X-Mas this year. . . Any ideas on where I can find one fast enough but won't require a 2nd mortgage on my home to purchase???

My DSL is 1.56 mbps/256 kbps. . . I assume that info will help.

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
Do you have a wireless adapter already for the 360, smoke?

You'll need one of those, in addition to the wireless router itself.

What's the distance from your router to 360 going to be?
That might be something to take into account before sendin ya off towards a certain model.

Smokezilla

Jul 30, 2005
BumFuck-Egypt, KY
Thanks for the input. . . probably no more than 75 feet max. . . Most of the time it would be about 10 feet away, but I want to go wireless so I can move the XBox from room-to-room whenever I need to.:D

izzy izkowitz

Chris Hansen is my hero
May 23, 2007
I use a portercable plunge router. it's great for that fine woodworking

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
About 80 bucks will net you something decent. Anything Linksys or NetGear will work. But the data being transfered to/from your 360 might not be the fastest around.

For around 120, 130. You can grab a D-Link DGL-4300 which is the fastest/best for anything with online gaming.

Smokezilla

Jul 30, 2005
BumFuck-Egypt, KY
I just don't want to get a piece of shit that lags and makes me some asshole's "easy kill" whenever I'm playing online. . . I don't think my DSL speed will be a problem, but I know that a slow router = getting my ass handed to me. Roughly what speed would you recommend???:huh:

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
if that's what you want, find that D-Link I mentioned. It's the same one I've got, and if you ever get dropped from a game, you're within 99% certainty that it wasn't your fault, hardware causing it.
The problem would be on the server end of things.

Go with the d-link

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Wireless, no matter how good it's set-up is always a probelm with lag spikes. Sure, might be great 90% of the time but those few percent...

I just ran Cat-5 and future-proofed my home.

zagman76

Wackbagger, Geek, Administrator
Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
Wireless, no matter how good it's set-up is always a probelm with lag spikes. Sure, might be great 90% of the time but those few percent...

I just ran Cat-5 and future-proofed my home.
You shoulda went with CAT6 ;) :D

As far as the router goes - I would also recommend a D-Link. I don't game on my network, but I have never had an issue with any of the D-Links I have had over the years. I have, however, had problems with the wireless on Linksys routers.

Smokezilla

Jul 30, 2005
BumFuck-Egypt, KY
Thanks for the advice, Guys. I'll turn my woman onto that shit mui-pronto.

How much of a problem is going wireless with the router??? I've only used my sister's wifi on her laptop and the lag sucks ass. . . I guess she doesn't have a really vamped-up router. I was trying to listen to XM Online and read wackbag at the same time and it kept buffering on me. Is is a much idea to just stick with a wired router to avoid the lag problem altogether?

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
You shoulda went with CAT6 ;) :D

As far as the router goes - I would also recommend a D-Link. I don't game on my network, but I have never had an issue with any of the D-Links I have had over the years. I have, however, had problems with the wireless on Linksys routers.
Cat-5 will be good for the next decade or 2. They have 1000Base-T that can run off the stuff now. By the time I need to pull 10GBase-T from one point of my house to another then I can easily pull back the homeruns.

Ya see, I'm not one of those dumbasses that doesn't know how to install a network. I'm a high quality gen-u-ine expert when it comes to placing and terminating communication wiring.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
I've thrown both netgear nad d-link against the wall, am now using a linksys wap again after being pissed with them but it has been fine. I don't game tho. most lag time you will see with wifi will be the internet connection you are using. even 802.11b is more bandwidth than most isps will give you. go with 802.11n/b/g or pre n whatever they are calling it per manufacture. pre n is close to gigabit ethernet I believe.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
Hard-wire some CAT5e, you'll be happy you did!

Cat-5 will be good for the next decade or 2. They have 1000Base-T that can run off the stuff now. By the time I need to pull 10GBase-T from one point of my house to another then I can easily pull back the homeruns.

Ya see, I'm not one of those dumbasses that doesn't know how to install a network. I'm a high quality gen-u-ine expert when it comes to placing and terminating communication wiring.
yup cat 5 will be fine for a while to come and fiber in the home isnt cost effective quite yet.

----

as far as the wireless... for real, spend the $ on a 500' box of CAT5e (or check with a local telecom/data company, ask em for their throw away boxes, most guys will give you a box with a couple hundred of feet left in it) and buy some ends and you can rig a good 3-6 drop network for under $100.

you would only have to patch the xbox in, in whatever room you went into.

and you wouldnt have your latency issues.

the good thing is, you can always add on to your network.

and there is no such thing as too many drops,.... ever!

----

HumpX

Character Assassin
Oct 30, 2004
Rhode Island
My wife is contemplating getting me a wireless router so I can play my XBox 360 online for X-Mas this year. . . Any ideas on where I can find one fast enough but won't require a 2nd mortgage on my home to purchase???

My DSL is 1.56 mbps/256 kbps. . . I assume that info will help.
Best Buy has one for dirt cheap last I checked. Its their house brand, I forgot the name but just ask the clerk and he'll get it.

Also, ebay is a good bet.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Another vote for D-Link.

I also have had excellent success with Hawking stuff.

You couldn't pay me to use Linksys.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
You should look into upgrading your broadband to one with a higher upload. You're at 2002 speeds, laggard.

foyb

Mar 18, 2007
Crawfordsville, IN
I like the linksys routers. They're made by cisco. I've not had any latency problems with mine, but my isp sucks ass, so I wouldn't know if I did.

NoSurvivors: Get a pix, they're cheaper and better.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Wow, hearing all of this shit about D-Link makes me want to throw away my Linksys WRT54G. But seriously, I used the this linksys for the longest time on a wireless connection. I had a linksys Wireless Game Adapter hooked up to my box for the longest time until I hardwired it and it worked great. Whatever you do don't get a B.