Need to copy a partition....

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
and Partition Magic wont work. I need to copy my Windows Vista partition from its current drive to my new Raptor. Partition magic wont work under Vista, theres no update for it, and I cant even get a bootable version of it. Im in a hurry, as until I get this done I basically have no PC worth a shit. Any suggestions of a quick way to get this fixed?

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Even if you transfer it, the windows vista partition will be set-up for your old set-up and might not work at all or correctly.

Swap the hd with windows vista and the new hd into another computer with it's own bootable hd.
Boot to the other hd and transfer the windows partition to the new hd.
Windows Vista Hd ---> New Hd.
Or Windows Vista Hd ---> Bootable Hd---> New Hd.

Or you can try to boot to a command prompt and transfer all the files to the raptor.

Or you can try a live Linux distro and try transferring the files .

This will take hours.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
yeah, also if you copy the partiton directly you would have to address the new drive with the same drive letter as the old drive or none of your shortcuts/references for programs/the o.S. etc will work...as bad as it sucks you prob want to install vista clean on the new drive and then plug the old drive in as a slave and drag and drop whatever files you want onto the new raptor drive after the os is installed on it

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
Ive tried a clean (unfortunately, I only have an upgrade copy) install TWICE, only to get a BSOD on the first startup of Vista and have the whole thing fail on me, hence why Im trying to copy the old partition. Ive got the system up on the old HDD with the old partition, and everything works fine, I just need to migrate it to the Raptor. The raptor is going to be the same drive letter as the old OS HDD is supposed to be.
Damn it, this is frustrating.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
Ive tried a clean (unfortunately, I only have an upgrade copy) install TWICE, only to get a BSOD on the first startup of Vista and have the whole thing fail on me, hence why Im trying to copy the old partition. Ive got the system up on the old HDD with the old partition, and everything works fine, I just need to migrate it to the Raptor. The raptor is going to be the same drive letter as the old OS HDD is supposed to be.
Damn it, this is frustrating.
If you only need to backup data just pop out the drive and put it another machine.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
If you only need to backup data just pop out the drive and put it another machine.
Dont have another machine to do it with, and I dont need the data, I need the OS. All of my data is on one of my 500GB internal hard drives. I need Vista on the raptor, but installing it doesnt seem to be working.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
Dont have another machine to do it with, and I dont need the data, I need the OS. All of my data is on one of my 500GB internal hard drives. I need Vista on the raptor, but installing it doesnt seem to be working.
If you have everything backed up and Vista worked previously and a clean install fails, I would lean towards hardware failure.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
Yeah, Im coming to the same conclusion. I already pulled the raptor and replaced it with the old 100GB parallel drive. Until the boss can get me a replacement raptor, Ill just run the system as is. As least Ive got my new motherboard in place and working.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
Yeah, Im coming to the same conclusion. I already pulled the raptor and replaced it with the old 100GB parallel drive. Until the boss can get me a replacement raptor, Ill just run the system as is. As least Ive got my new motherboard in place and working.
If you are having problems installing the OS, I would think it is more likely a problem with the ram, cpu or the motherboard.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I run into bad hard drives all the time that cause OS install failures, so often in fact, that it's now the first thing I swap out when I have an OS install shit the bed.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
Im trying a reinstall on my spare 100GB SATA drive right now. Im inclined to agree that the raptor shit the bed on me. After I reinstall Ill know for sure.

Now I just have to hope that M$ lets me reactivate Vista....

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
Ok, started getting the BSOD again on the first restart after the initial setup. I did a BIOS update, got farther along in the setup, and its BSODing on the SECOND reboot now. FUCK.

Anyone have any ideas? My 100GB parallel drive still works fine to start the system, but the SATA drives are getting BSOD during setup on Vista. XP installed fine, though.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
How much RAM do you have? As crazy as this sounds, you might want to take some out. Some systems (generally servers) have an O/S install feature in the BIOS which caps the available RAM to something like 256 or 512MB because sometimes the O/S installers crash on systems with large amounts of RAM.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
Pulled a 2GB stick, and the BSOD went away. The restarts from all the BSODs had fucked the half-done Vista install, so Im redoing that right now. Hopefully everything will work now.

This has been an adventure. Ive NEVER had this many issues with a system I built. I cant really blame any of the hardware, either, it just seems to be random little bullshit things causing the problems.

Balogny Tits

It's not that were better, were just less worse
May 26, 2005
Canada
To copy a partition, i use bart's windows xp pe edition; use ghost or something similar.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
Son. Of. A. Bitch.

Pulling the second stick worked. Vista is doing its whole performance check right now. As soon as its all done Ill shut it down and reinstall the second stick of RAM. I know that its fine with 4GB with the system running, as I had no issues with the vista install on the old 100gb parallel drive. Damn.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
Well, I got Vista installed, but I still get a BSOD during startup with both DIMMs in place. Ive tried both sticks individually, and it only happens with both in. It happens no matter what slots I use, too. Since this didnt happen with the old Vista install, Im thinking maybe theres an update I had downloaded that corrected the issue, so thats what Im doing now is getting all the updates installed.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it actually booted fine once with both sticks installed, then blue screened AFTER I got booted all the way into Vista.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
Well, all the updates are installed, both sticks are in the system, and its running great so far. Im HOPING the updates fixed the problem. Now if only 3dmark worked on 64 bit vista.