Neighbor wants deductible for water damage

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
We had a leak in our unit when our dishwasher broke. We spent over $1100 fixing what we thought was the leak then finally discover it was the dishwasher and replacing it. She contacted her homeowners and has a $500 deductible to repair her damage. My wife and I aren't going to pay the whole thing but plan on offering half. Sound fair?

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
We had a leak in our unit when our dishwasher broke. We spent over $1100 fixing what we thought was the leak then finally discover it was the dishwasher and replacing it. She contacted her homeowners and has a $500 deductible to repair her damage. My wife and I aren't going to pay the whole thing but plan on offering half. Sound fair?
If the damage to you neighbors unit was caused by a leak in yours I would imagine you should pay the full deductible. Correct me if I'm reading your post wrong.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
In a similar situation that happened at my condo the homeowners association insurance paid for it because it was a common wall. If it had affected only one resident then your own insurance would have to cover it.

MetalBender

I like fistables.
Dec 20, 2009
New Orleans....Iowa
Turn her damage in to your insurance along with yours as it came from your dishwashers failure. No reason they shouldn't foot the entire bill for all damages.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Contact your ins co. I'm sure they'd rather pay her deductible
than all of her repairs. Either way, it shouldn't be on her for
a failure from your place.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Boratfan?

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Already contacted our insurance company. They said it wasn't their problem. Isn't that why people have their own insurance?

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Already contacted our insurance company. They said it wasn't their problem. Isn't that why people have their own insurance?
Read through your policy and see if its covered. Then call back and ask to speak to a stupidvisor.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I then would end up submitting that to my homeowners correct?

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I then would end up submitting that to my homeowners correct?
More than likely. That's why you call them and keep moving
up the chain til someone agrees to pay the 500. In the end, it's
their cheapest way out. They just try and stall in the hopes that
you'll pay to get your neighbor off your ass.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I would love to be neighborly and pay the we thing but I just can't do it. We're barely in the position to pay $250 but at least it's something. I just hope she accepts it.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
I would love to be neighborly and pay the we thing but I just can't do it. We're barely in the position to pay $250 but at least it's something. I just hope she accepts it.
It's not a matter of be "neighborly." she is not responsible for any damage your unit causes to hers. You are fully responsible and should make arrangements for payments at the very least if you can't get your insurance to cover it.

She has every right to sue you for any money she has to spend to repair the damage.

Like the other people said. Talk with your insurance.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
If I was her, I would burn you out.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Yeah...they'll keep trying the "none on us" argument...until you get to the top.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
This is tough because everything everyone is saying is getting contradicted in this thread. http://community.lawyers.com/forums/t/84712.aspx?PageIndex=1
Not that anyone in this or that forum is an expert but the whole situation can be a real mess.
I tell you what. Tell your neighbor that you are not going to give her the deductible money she spent to have her home repaired after your home damaged hers. When she sues you see who the judge sides with.

The fact that you don't seem to understand how you are responsible is disgusting. Or maybe you do and just want to try and weasle out of your responsibility which is even more disgusting.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I tell you what. Tell your neighbor that you are not going to give her the deductible money she spent to have her home repaired after your home damaged hers. When she sues you see who the judge sides with.

The fact that you don't seem to understand how you are responsible is disgusting. Or maybe you do and just want to try and weasle out of your responsibility which is even more disgusting.
Does the law state I am responsible for her deductible schmuck?

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
If she backed her car into yours would you be annoyed if she told you to pay your own deductible to get it fixed?

I agree it should be your insurance companies to take care of, either coordinating with their insurance or just sending over their own repairmen or getting her estimate. Keep fighting.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
If she backed her car into yours would you be annoyed if she told you to pay your own deductible to get it fixed?

I agree it should be your insurance companies to take care of, either coordinating with their insurance or just sending over their own repairmen or getting her estimate. Keep fighting.
This is how it should be. I am not negligent because I fixed the leak. Legally I don't believe I have any responsibility to pay money out of my own pocket for her deductible. I have no problem turning over my insurance information over to her so the pros can duke it out. I only wanted to be decent and show a sign of good faith.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
Does the law state I am responsible for her deductible schmuck?
Did you ever find out if you are legally responsible, or are you just morally responsible in a good neighborly kind of way?

It seems to me if you are legally responsible to cover the damage, the neighbors insurance company would come after you for the damages.

I don't see why you would be responsible for the deductible, but not the whole thing. Seems like it would be all or nothing from the legal standpoint.