Netflix... and now Qwikster

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I messed up. I owe you an explanation.

It is clear from the feedback over the past two months that many members felt we lacked respect and humility in the way we announced the separation of DVD and streaming and the price changes. That was certainly not our intent, and I offer my sincere apology. Let me explain what we are doing.

For the past five years, my greatest fear at Netflix has been that we wouldn't make the leap from success in DVDs to success in streaming. Most companies that are great at something – like AOL dialup or Borders bookstores – do not become great at new things people want (streaming for us). So we moved quickly into streaming, but I should have personally given you a full explanation of why we are splitting the services and thereby increasing prices. It wouldn’t have changed the price increase, but it would have been the right thing to do.

So here is what we are doing and why.

Many members love our DVD service, as I do, because nearly every movie ever made is published on DVD. DVD is a great option for those who want the huge and comprehensive selection of movies.

I also love our streaming service because it is integrated into my TV, and I can watch anytime I want. The benefits of our streaming service are really quite different from the benefits of DVD by mail. We need to focus on rapid improvement as streaming technology and the market evolves, without maintaining compatibility with our DVD by mail service.

So we realized that streaming and DVD by mail are really becoming two different businesses, with very different cost structures, that need to be marketed differently, and we need to let each grow and operate independently.

It’s hard to write this after over 10 years of mailing DVDs with pride, but we think it is necessary: In a few weeks, we will rename our DVD by mail service to “Qwikster”. We chose the name Qwikster because it refers to quick delivery. We will keep the name “Netflix” for streaming.

Qwikster will be the same website and DVD service that everyone is used to. It is just a new name, and DVD members will go to qwikster.com to access their DVD queues and choose movies. One improvement we will make at launch is to add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Members have been asking for video games for many years, but now that DVD by mail has its own team, we are finally getting it done. Other improvements will follow. A negative of the renaming and separation is that the Qwikster.com and Netflix.com websites will not be integrated.

There are no pricing changes (we’re done with that!). If you subscribe to both services you will have two entries on your credit card statement, one for Qwikster and one for Netflix. The total will be the same as your current charges. We will let you know in a few weeks when the Qwikster.com website is up and ready.

For me the Netflix red envelope has always been a source of joy. The new envelope is still that lovely red, but now it will have a Qwikster logo. I know that logo will grow on me over time, but still, it is hard. I imagine it will be similar for many of you.

I want to acknowledge and thank you for sticking with us, and to apologize again to those members, both current and former, who felt we treated them thoughtlessly.

Both the Qwikster and Netflix teams will work hard to regain your trust. We know it will not be overnight. Actions speak louder than words. But words help people to understand actions.

Respectfully yours,

-Reed Hastings, Co-Founder and CEO, Netflix

p.s. I have a slightly longer explanation along with a video posted on our blog, where you can also post comments.
That blog post... http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/exp...2D307A9E10CC0821090D0AC0315E&lkid=netflixBlog

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Just got done reading the e-mail they sent me.

"Hey, I fucked up with that whole price change thing, but instead of fixing it, we're just going to change the name. Cool?"

Thanks a lot, Reed.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis

"Hey, I fucked up with that whole price change thing, but instead of fixing it, we're just going to change the name. Cool?"

Thanks a lot, Reed.
Came here to post this exact thing. However, I do like that they're adding videogames. I'd rather get all that stuff from one provider instead of also getting a Gamefly account.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
I think this is a smart move on their part as far as long term business strategy goes, but for a company that has generated the kind of revenue they have for well over a decade, they've gone about this in an amateurish way

Dec 12, 2007
alright your getting your extra money now how about making so that it takes less then a month for new releases to be put on instant watch?

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
alright your getting your extra money now how about making so that it takes less then a month for new releases to be put on instant watch?

Nobody wants that more than Netflix, its the studios that are holding back instant streaming

Jan 9, 2006
Delmar, NY
Dec 12, 2007
In the words of Colin Quinn, "you fucking cocksucker whore". Fucking vultures in Hollywood are even worse then netflix, its probably their fault to begin with that prices are going up since netflix is making dvd sales go into the shitter.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Nobody wants that more than Netflix, its the studios that are holding back instant streaming
Could be worse... you could have a Netflix account in Canada... where the cable companies are putting data caps on. As they sell movies on demand as well.

Jan 9, 2006
Delmar, NY
In the words of Colin Quinn, "you fucking cocksucker whore". Fucking vultures in Hollywood are even worse then netflix, its probably their fault to begin with that prices are going up since netflix is making dvd sales go into the shitter.
They just want to make money on the product they produce. Can you blame them for that? You obviously like what they make, otherwise you wouldn't even care.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Kinda glad I held off on the whole Netflix thing. I'll stick to my full-boat FIOS package.

Dec 12, 2007
They just want to make money on the product they produce. Can you blame them for that? You obviously like what they make, otherwise you wouldn't even care.
I like MAYBE a few movies a year. Its my brothers account he lets me use since I watch maybe 5 movies a year that arn't on basic cable. He loves movies though which is why he has it.

I think Hollywood deserves to lose money to teach them a lesson on what crap they usually make.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
You guys miss the part where the two services are going to be completely separate?

Now you're going to have to manage two queues and two sites for ratings and suggestions. We'll probably see the end of the 'play now' buttons whenever a movie in your queue goes up for streaming.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
You guys miss the part where the two services are going to be completely separate?

Now you're going to have to manage two queues and two sites for ratings and suggestions. We'll probably see the end of the 'play now' buttons whenever a movie in your queue goes up for streaming.
Are you sure? They would be quite stupid to not integrate both services somehow.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Are you sure? They would be quite stupid to not integrate both services somehow.
For the past couple years they've been pretty fucking stupid. Why think they got this right?

A negative of the renaming and separation is that the Qwikster.com and Netflix.com websites will not be integrated.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
For the past couple years they've been pretty fucking stupid. Why think they got this right?

A negative of the renaming and separation is that the Qwikster.com and Netflix.com websites will not be integrated.
Eew. What a stupid fucking decision.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
From the email:

Its going to be a real pain in the ass having 2 queues.

DoughBoy

Woogally Cute
Wackbag Staff
Jul 28, 2003
Jersey Shore
Kinda glad I held off on the whole Netflix thing. I'll stick to my full-boat FIOS package.
I've got the top DirecTV package, Netflix full, and a hulu Plus account.... and I only watch TV a few hours a week... but it is stuff that I *want* to watch, not just shit while I'm surfing. I've got youtube for that. :)

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Eew. What a stupid fucking decision.

I have a feeling the two sites will end up being integrated

Want to watch this movie instantly then subscribe to Netflix

This title is not yet available to stream but it is available on Blu Ray why not subscribe to Quikster

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
Came here to post this exact thing. However, I do like that they're adding videogames. I'd rather get all that stuff from one provider instead of also getting a Gamefly account.
Yea, I don't know WTF this name change and two accounts is supposed to mean. However, adding Video Games allows me to finally sever from Blockbuster By Mail since I was using that for Video Games only the last few months.

salz4life

May 11, 2007
Fox Lake, IL
and maybe with Netflix (or Qwikster..... ewww!), it won't take 2 weeks between sending back a game and getting a new one. I hate Gamefly because of this and even though the email said a few weeks, I went ahead and canceled Gamefly this morning.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Even though I didn't lose my shit over Netflix raising their rates (although seeing the how much the new charge was a bit of shock), I really don't understand this move by the company. I think they should have either returned to the original rates before they went up or did nothing.

If they wanted to add video games, then have Qwikster offer that service and give existing Netflix subscribers the option to buy a plan with them.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Even though I didn't lose my shit over Netflix raising their rates (although seeing the how much the new charge was a bit of shock), I really don't understand this move by the company. I think they should have either returned to the original rates before they went up or did nothing.

If they wanted to add video games, then have Qwikster offer that service and give existing Netflix subscribers the option to buy a plan with them.
I think its a PR move so that they can "adjust" the prices in the future without all the backlash they have gotten. Its a scam to mark up costs in the future without all the bullshit they may get in response. Its just shady IMO.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island

Thanks a lot, Reed.
[video=youtube;KbbZc2pab9k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbbZc2pab9k[/video]

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I couldn't give less of a fuck about getting DVDs through the mail. It's all about streaming. Welcome to the FUTURE!