OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Netflix... and now Qwikster

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Falldog, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

That blog post... http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/exp...2D307A9E10CC0821090D0AC0315E&lkid=netflixBlog

2. Konstantin K

Konstantin K Big League Poster

Just got done reading the e-mail they sent me.

"Hey, I fucked up with that whole price change thing, but instead of fixing it, we're just going to change the name. Cool?"

Thanks a lot, Reed.

3. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Came here to post this exact thing. However, I do like that they're adding videogames. I'd rather get all that stuff from one provider instead of also getting a Gamefly account.

4. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

I think this is a smart move on their part as far as long term business strategy goes, but for a company that has generated the kind of revenue they have for well over a decade, they've gone about this in an amateurish way

5. DR. Jimcy M.E.

alright your getting your extra money now how about making so that it takes less then a month for new releases to be put on instant watch?

6. CousinDave

Nobody wants that more than Netflix, its the studios that are holding back instant streaming

7. LastDeadMouse

LastDeadMouse WWRBD?

8. DR. Jimcy M.E.

In the words of Colin Quinn, "you fucking cocksucker whore". Fucking vultures in Hollywood are even worse then netflix, its probably their fault to begin with that prices are going up since netflix is making dvd sales go into the shitter.

9. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Could be worse... you could have a Netflix account in Canada... where the cable companies are putting data caps on. As they sell movies on demand as well.

10. LastDeadMouse

LastDeadMouse WWRBD?

They just want to make money on the product they produce. Can you blame them for that? You obviously like what they make, otherwise you wouldn't even care.

11. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

Kinda glad I held off on the whole Netflix thing. I'll stick to my full-boat FIOS package.

12. DR. Jimcy M.E.

I like MAYBE a few movies a year. Its my brothers account he lets me use since I watch maybe 5 movies a year that arn't on basic cable. He loves movies though which is why he has it.

I think Hollywood deserves to lose money to teach them a lesson on what crap they usually make.

13. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

You guys miss the part where the two services are going to be completely separate?

Now you're going to have to manage two queues and two sites for ratings and suggestions. We'll probably see the end of the 'play now' buttons whenever a movie in your queue goes up for streaming.

14. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Are you sure? They would be quite stupid to not integrate both services somehow.

15. Hog's Big Ben

Hog's Big Ben Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
    Donator

For the past couple years they've been pretty fucking stupid. Why think they got this right?

A negative of the renaming and separation is that the Qwikster.com and Netflix.com websites will not be integrated.

16. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Eew. What a stupid fucking decision.

17. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

From the email:

Its going to be a real pain in the ass having 2 queues.

18. DoughBoy

DoughBoy Woogally Cute
    Wackbag Staff

I've got the top DirecTV package, Netflix full, and a hulu Plus account.... and I only watch TV a few hours a week... but it is stuff that I *want* to watch, not just shit while I'm surfing. I've got youtube for that. :)

19. CousinDave

I have a feeling the two sites will end up being integrated

Want to watch this movie instantly then subscribe to Netflix

This title is not yet available to stream but it is available on Blu Ray why not subscribe to Quikster

20. jagsfans

jagsfans Registered User

Yea, I don't know WTF this name change and two accounts is supposed to mean. However, adding Video Games allows me to finally sever from Blockbuster By Mail since I was using that for Video Games only the last few months.

21. salz4life

salz4life Registered User

and maybe with Netflix (or Qwikster..... ewww!), it won't take 2 weeks between sending back a game and getting a new one. I hate Gamefly because of this and even though the email said a few weeks, I went ahead and canceled Gamefly this morning.

22. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

Even though I didn't lose my shit over Netflix raising their rates (although seeing the how much the new charge was a bit of shock), I really don't understand this move by the company. I think they should have either returned to the original rates before they went up or did nothing.

If they wanted to add video games, then have Qwikster offer that service and give existing Netflix subscribers the option to buy a plan with them.

23. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

I think its a PR move so that they can "adjust" the prices in the future without all the backlash they have gotten. Its a scam to mark up costs in the future without all the bullshit they may get in response. Its just shady IMO.

24. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

[video=youtube;KbbZc2pab9k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbbZc2pab9k[/video]

25. transit grinder

transit grinder Baglin' with the Sex

I couldn't give less of a fuck about getting DVDs through the mail. It's all about streaming. Welcome to the FUTURE!