Netflix pulls 'Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj' episode after getting 'valid' legal complaint from Saudi Arabia

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Netflix pulls 'Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj' episode after getting 'valid' legal complaint from Saudi Arabia

Netflix has pulled an episode of “Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj” after receiving a legal complaint from Saudi Arabia. The episode, titled “Saudi Arabia,” had launched in October and was heavily critical of the country’s government.

The episode is still available in other countriesand on YouTube.

In it, former “Daily Show” comedian Minhaj goes through a highly critical takedown of the Saudi government including the Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman calling it corrupt in the wake of the killing of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi.

“Now would be a good time to reassess our relationship with Saudi Arabia,” the comedian said in the pulled episode. “And I mean that as a Muslim, and as an American.”

A representative from Netflix told Fox News that the Saudi government cited Article 6 of the country’s Anti-Cyber Crime Law, whichDeadline reports, prohibits “production, preparation, transmission, or storage of material impinging on public order, religious values, public morals, and privacy, through the information network or computers.”

The punishment for violation of this crime is reportedly a maximum of five years in prison as well as a potential $800,000 fine.

“We strongly support artistic freedom worldwide and only removed this episode in Saudi Arabia after we had received a valid legal request — and to comply with local law,” the company said in a statement to Fox News.

Netflix also stressed that it typically complies with the local laws of whatever countries its material streams in when and if there’s a complaint about the material.

Still, critics of the Saudi government say that the law suppresses free speech and can be used to jail those critical of the government in any public forum, including social media.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainme...tting-valid-legal-complaint-from-saudi-arabia

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy

Netflix has pulled an episode of “Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj” after receiving a legal complaint from Saudi Arabia. The episode, titled “Saudi Arabia,” had launched in October and was heavily critical of the country’s government.

The episode is still available in other countriesand on YouTube.

In it, former “Daily Show” comedian Minhaj goes through a highly critical takedown of the Saudi government including the Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman calling it corrupt in the wake of the killing of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi.

“Now would be a good time to reassess our relationship with Saudi Arabia,” the comedian said in the pulled episode. “And I mean that as a Muslim, and as an American.”

A representative from Netflix told Fox News that the Saudi government cited Article 6 of the country’s Anti-Cyber Crime Law, whichDeadline reports, prohibits “production, preparation, transmission, or storage of material impinging on public order, religious values, public morals, and privacy, through the information network or computers.”

The punishment for violation of this crime is reportedly a maximum of five years in prison as well as a potential $800,000 fine.

“We strongly support artistic freedom worldwide and only removed this episode in Saudi Arabia after we had received a valid legal request — and to comply with local law,” the company said in a statement to Fox News.

Netflix also stressed that it typically complies with the local laws of whatever countries its material streams in when and if there’s a complaint about the material.

Still, critics of the Saudi government say that the law suppresses free speech and can be used to jail those critical of the government in any public forum, including social media.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainme...tting-valid-legal-complaint-from-saudi-arabia
1) I find it interesting how they buried that it was only pulled in Saudi Arabia. Not that this isn't complete bs regardless - it is - but that fact is buried. I get why. Outrage = clicks. But it's still buried.
2) This is why I'm getting back into getting physical media. Between oversaturation of streaming services, and streaming services' readiness to pull anything without a second thought, it's kind of worrying.
3) I know people will want to blame political correctness for this, but it isn't political correctness. It's corporations doing everything they can to ensure their revenue. There's no morality or ideology behind this. Just "do you still want money from Saudi Arabia?"

Floyd1977

1) I find it interesting how they buried that it was only pulled in Saudi Arabia. Not that this isn't complete bs regardless - it is - but that fact is buried. I get why. Outrage = clicks. But it's still buried.
2) This is why I'm getting back into getting physical media. Between oversaturation of streaming services, and streaming services' readiness to pull anything without a second thought, it's kind of worrying.
3) I know people will want to blame political correctness for this, but it isn't political correctness. It's corporations doing everything they can to ensure their revenue. There's no morality or ideology behind this. Just "do you still want money from Saudi Arabia?"
As long as it’s over there and not here, I don’t really give a shit. And you’re smart for going the physical media route, I get ripped on all the time for being stupid for still collecting PM. And I tell them, wait until you have to pay the near equivalent for a car lease to have access to all the movies you want (and you have to have them all because the deals change monthly). And I have Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime and can barely even find a movie I want when I want to watch it. PM will also deliver the same quality every time and Blu Rays have lossless audio.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
This thread exists because @BIV is being aware of the problems of a theocracy, an elitist undemocratic system.

It is interesting to read about how Western culture is treated in Saudi Arabia. I find it bs that the assassination of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi is the justification of a liberal condemnation when so many other bad things have been happening. It likely exists because Pres. Trump made some early remarks on it and Democrats have become so contrarian and delusional to everything he does.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
This thread exists because @BIV is being aware of the problems of a theocracy, an elitist undemocratic system.

It is interesting to read about how Western culture is treated in Saudi Arabia. I find it bs that the assassination of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi is the justification of a liberal condemnation when so many other bad things have been happening. It likely exists because Pres. Trump made some early remarks on it and Democrats have become so contrarian and delusional to everything he does.
Nah this thread exists because BIV read the article title, not the article.

BIV

Nah this thread exists because BIV read the article title, not the article.
I read the article, thank you very much. Only in SA or not, yanking it is not acceptable. Just like Google censoring search results in China is not acceptable.

Pigdango

Donator
I read the article, thank you very much. Only in SA or not, yanking it is not acceptable. Just like Google censoring search results in China is not acceptable.
To who? Maybe the Saudis and the Chinese have a right to give a shit, but we certainly do not. You do business in a country, you follow their rules, you don't follow your home country's rules.

BIV

To who? Maybe the Saudis and the Chinese have a right to give a shit, but we certainly do not. You do business in a country, you follow their rules, you don't follow your home country's rules.
And I have the right to denounce American companies who kowtow to totalitarian regimes. Unless they have governments elected by the people, Saudi Arabia and China are not legitimate regimes and don't have rights to shit. Google and Netflix should have told them to fuck right off. American companies should be supporting American ideals, no matter where they do business. Especially when it comes to Google who has such a monopoly over so much of the internet. If companies like Google and Netflix are censoring content to people in these nations, how are these people going to learn what is actually happening?

Then again, tech companies fight against American ideals at home, so I'm not sure why I'm surprised.

Pigdango

Donator
And I have the right to denounce American companies who kowtow to totalitarian regimes. Unless they have governments elected by the people, Saudi Arabia and China are not legitimate regimes and don't have rights to shit. Google and Netflix should have told them to fuck right off. American companies should be supporting American ideals, no matter where they do business. Especially when it comes to Google who has such a monopoly over so much of the internet. If companies like Google and Netflix are censoring content to people in these nations, how are these people going to learn what is actually happening?

Then again, tech companies fight against American ideals at home, so I'm not sure why I'm surprised.
Donald Trump is not the Emperor of the world. We don't get to apply our rules everywhere. Google has the right to choose not to do business with China, but if they do business with them, they should follow their rules. I can't comprehend why you are surprised by this. Would you want a foreign business to come into America and refuse to follow our rules?

BIV

Donald Trump is not the Emperor of the world. We don't get to apply our rules everywhere. Google has the right to choose not to do business with China, but if they do business with them, they should follow their rules. I can't comprehend why you are surprised by this. Would you want a foreign business to come into America and refuse to follow our rules?
They can do whatever they want, that's thier right. But that doesn't make it "right", and Americans should be calling them out on it.

And you give a false comparison. These are not western nations that support basic human rights. They don't deserve any respect of thier laws and rules.

Pigdango

Donator
They can do whatever they want, that's thier right. But that doesn't make it "right", and Americans should be calling them out on it.

And you give a false comparison. These are not western nations that support basic human rights. They don't deserve any respect of thier laws and rules.
Americans shouldn't care. And they don't, and that's a good thing.

BIV

Americans shouldn't care. And they don't, and that's a good thing.
They should. The fact that they don't is a serious problem. It is our responsibility to foster democracy world wide, for our own security and self interests if nothing else.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
So, what's the answer then, @BIV? Should companies refuse to do business in places that don't have the same free speech protections we do? Also, where is the line? For instance, the UK doesn't have the same guarantees as us, do we do business there?

Floyd1977

None of these companies are turning down the revenue even if they have to have to yield to another country's rules. It's already bad enough in America how American corporations fold in the face of even minor controversies, anyone expect them to hold fast for a foreign country. Also all these corporations would take money from ISIS if they thought they could keep it a secret.

Also while this is a more extreme example, American entertainment constantly gets modified for foreign releases.