NETFLIX Netflix Voltron Reboot

Neon

ネオン
Voltron Reboot, New Animated Show From Del Toro Coming to Netflix

Netflix and Dreamworks plan slate of new animated series.

Pacific Rim director Guillermo Del Toro is to produce a new animated show for Netflix. It is to be part of a deal between the streaming giant and DreamWorks Animation, which will also see a reimagining of the '80s cartoon series Voltron.

In a statement, Netflix confirmed that the deal would result in several new series for the channel in 2016 and beyond. The Del Toro show is to be entitled Trollhunters and will feature a "new, fantastical world wrapped around two best friends who make a startling discovery beneath their hometown."

The original Voltron was a Japanese-American co-production that ran for three reasons between 1984 and 1986. The show was created from two Japanese shows--Beast King GoLion andArmored Fleet Dairugger XV--with new dialogue and storylines created for the American market. It proved hugely popular, spawning spin-offs shows, comic books, and video games.

Dreamworks has already produced shows such as The Adventures of Puss in Boots, Dinotrux, and Dragons: Race to the Edge for Netflix. The new deal also includes streaming rights to DreamWorks' animated feature films.

edzeppe

This better be the Lions not the stupid ass vehicles.

Discoman

Donator
I wonder if it will be like the original Japanese version where characters would actually die.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Sweet. Glad they are keeping it animated.

Though, if successful, I foresee a forthcoming live action film.

BIV

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
That image official, or from a fan?

BIV

Cleaner version:

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Also loved Voltron. Hoping this doesn't suck balls.

Chip Spackler

Donator
I remember thinking as a kid that voltron toys owned transformer toys.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
I remember thinking as a kid that voltron toys owned transformer toys.
Then they put you on the right meds? ;)

I loved Voltron, but more for the quality of the stories. The mecha was cool, but pales in comparison to many G1 Diaclone/Transformers designs because, like Power Rangers toys since, they were going for fantasy, or a far less practical view of the future. "Robots in disguise" wasn't just a catch line, but a real aesthetic selling point. I wasn't the only kid who chose Transformers over Voltron or some of the more obscure OVA series toys. Even a couple Go-Bots were better (although most were worse), and Macross' Valkyrie/Veritech fighters were so good, one was even retooled as a Transformer.

Like with Robotech, Voltron was an American re-edit of a Japanese series Hyaku Jūō Goraion, and was written with a more adult feel from the get-go, while the American-commissioned Transformers series took a bit longer to reach that bar alongside the GI Joe series. But when both of the latter did, they excelled, and influenced animation for years to come.

BIV

I loved Voltron, but more for the quality of the stories. The mecha was cool, but pales in comparison to many G1 Diaclone/Transformers designs because, like Power Rangers toys since, they were going for fantasy, or a far less practical view of the future. "Robots in disguise" wasn't just a catch line, but a real aesthetic selling point. I wasn't the only kid who chose Transformers over Voltron or some of the more obscure OVA series toys. Even a couple Go-Bots were better (although most were worse), and Macross' Valkyrie/Veritech fighters were so good, one was even retooled as a Transformer.

Like with Robotech, Voltron was an American re-edit of a Japanese series Hyaku Jūō Goraion, and was written with a more adult feel from the get-go, while the American-commissioned Transformers series took a bit longer to reach that bar alongside the GI Joe series. But when both of the latter did, they excelled, and influenced animation for years to come.
I kept looking at the voltron lions wondering why they couldn't turn into robots.

.... and Macross' Valkyrie/Veritech fighters were so good, one was even retooled as a Transformer.
Skyfire/Jetfire

GoBots made good footsoldiers for the Transformers.

Chip Spackler

Donator

I was very young when transformers were popular. I loved them, but I remember getting frustrated at the complexity of some of the toys.

Chip Spackler

Donator
I don't see how that's possible.
I was a retarded four year old who couldn't make my older cousin's transformer toys 'transform'- I always got lost half-way through transforming them (at least with two of them, not sure which ones)- my voltron lions were simple to play with and combine so I guess that made my walnut-sized brain smile.