Network help?

ianbobo

It's My Birthday!
Oct 4, 2004
South of Boston
Ok, my network used to work - 1 laptop, 1 desktop - and my hard drive had to be replaced on my laptop. Now i can see the laptop from the desk but not the desk from the laptop. I ran network set up wizard but stil no luck. It is windows xp. Anyone willing to help?

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Go to the Windows firewall (in the control panel) and make sure that File and Printer sharing is allowed via the exceptions

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
I hate networking windows into the same domain. It always seems to be hit or miss. Why it hits or misses? Who knows...

Wish I could help more.

Picklestyle

Jun 21, 2007
Alabama....ick
do the following

Check for installs of Norton or Mcafee. If you have ever installed them and removed them you need to clean the registry.

Google for Norton Removal Tool and Mcafee Product Removal Tool. run them both and restart after each.

Check your workgroup name. Make sure they are all the same.
if they are change them and reboot. change them to the same, like both to wackbag or mshome. they have to be the same. even if they are both workgroup they still may not be able to see eachother. changing them will reset the netsh dns entry and allow the pcs to see them if they are corrupt.

Ensure that you have no private folders on the pc. to do this look for this window.

if the private folder area is grayed out look at the bottom and you will see a small link that says show private folders shared on this PC.

YOu can click it and it will open the prop. panel for the private folder and allow you to uncheck it.

Restart again just for good measure and you should be able to share now.

and just incase do this command too. start - run - type cmd - type netsh winsock reset - enter - reboot.
good luck'

cknight725

Wackbag Biblical Scholar
Sep 9, 2005
Albuq., NM
Talk about stabbing in the dark ...

TCP/IP or some other protocol? Static IPs or Dynamic? Windows or Linux or some mix? What versions of Windows?

Post your IP settings (tell me you're using non-routable IP ranges) and I'm sure myself or someone else can get you squared away...