OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Networking/Ethernet Question

Discussion in 'Wackbag Tech Support' started by blazin, Jun 18, 2012.

1. blazin

blazin Registered User

I have a customer who has 3 computers in a single room with a cable modem and router.

they just started occupying an office on the floor below and want to add 4 more computers there.

What are the cons of running a single cat5 line from the remaining port on the router to the new room, then adding a switch downstairs to split that single line into 4 ports?

vs

adding a switch upstairs and running 4 individual lines for each of the downstairs computers?

2. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

it would be cheaper and easier to run one CAT5/6 cable down and add a switch downstairs, just one hole to drill and hide

or do a wireless bridge deal with an antenna downstairs for a router/switch upstairs but wired is always better

unless they are doing huge video files running off of a server, they should be fine

3. steve500

steve500 Registered User

No cons. Essentially you're doing the same thing either way. The only thing changing is the length of the cable connecting the router to the switch, so might as well take the easy route. Plus that way it'll be easier to add more devices at a later date

4. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

I would call the local cops and have those fleabag hippies tasered before they start putting up tents.

5. gorram

gorram ;)

One issue is if the router can support the extra number you plan on adding, less than 8 shouldnt be a problem unless there are a lot of wifi users. Other issue would be the length of any given segment of cat5/6 needs to be less than 100 meters, one floor away that shouldnt be an issue.

6. MrAbovePar

MrAbovePar En Taro Anthony

Since you're adding a switch either way, you may as well put it on the other floor and save yourself the time of running multiple new wires with no expansion potential.

The only thing that really matters is by adding a switch and segmenting it off like that you create minor issues that could happen if you have a ton of network traffic. But since this sounds like a small set-up those issues shouldn't happen.

7. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

I have three gig switches cascaded off my gig router with no issues with multiple people gaming, using things like Skype, etc, etc...

There shouldn't be any problems.

8. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

I used a switch without permission from the IT department at my old job and they were pretty pissed off. Had three people on one port.

9. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

How does that work, does the router assign IP adresses to every node at the end of the switches?

10. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

They probably employ port security and other network management. In a home or small office environment that would be a non-issue 99% of the time.

Yes. I have a router, three gig switches, and three wireless access points. The router issues IP's via DHCP to all wired/wireless devices. I have static IP's set for each PC, my network printer, my cameras, and my wireless AP's. Everything else just pulls an address when connected.

11. blazin

blazin Registered User

Thanks for the info, very helpful

I remember working at my old job in the late 90's, we got into a new building and they ran an independant runs to each machine when it would have been WAY easier to just run one line to the room with 15 computers

is that because the technology wasnt there back then, or was the wiring contractor just trying to make more money?

12. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

Equipment has evolved, and I guess what's considered best practices has evolved also.

13. gorram

gorram ;)

The bandwidth for what is basically the same wire cat5/5e/6 has gone up.

But some of it may have to do with the layout of an office or where they want a specific closet (mdf) to handle all or most of the wiring. Not good to have gear like that spread all over an office where people can mess with it even by accident. Also cat5 cable is fairly cheap so making the 15 jumpers anyway may not have been saving that much.