New Asus router is pretty bad ass. I am impressed.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I decided to buy my own cable modem because the monthly charge for renting the combo modem/router from my cable internet provider was going to practically double in March. Plus, I had limited configuration access and couldn't really set things up the way I wanted.

In addition to the new Motorola SB6141 cable modem, I bought this from Newegg as well:

ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router

Although I have a couple old routers lying around, I figured I should get something new. So far, I really like it. It's got a couple USB ports on it, you can use for either communications or storage.I connected a 2TB external HDD setup that I had from my FIOS DVR and now I have my own FTP that I can access from anywhere. If I wanted, I could connect my aircard to the other USB and set it up to switch over to the aircard if my cable internet goes out.

Wireless coverage in my house is excellent. Performance is rock-solid, and my stepson told me today that the internet is working better than ever. I didn't even tell him I made any changes, as I did it all last night after he went to bed.

The price is a little steep, but this is a solid device.

Last edited:

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I have the $100 one, it's pretty swell.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
I've got an ASUS router that's been solid. DD-WRT'ed it and it runs like a top. I think I paid $40 for it on Amazon.

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
I've been a whore for them ever since I bought one a year ago. It's so solid that I've been sitting on the DD-WRT files since I got it and never had a need to install them. Now whenever people ask me for router recommendations I tell them Asus.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I've been a whore for them ever since I bought one a year ago. It's so solid that I've been sitting on the DD-WRT files since I got it and never had a need to install them. Now whenever people ask me for router recommendations I tell them Asus.
You aren't the first person I heard that from. I talked to a couple people who bought one just to put DD-WRT on it and ended up never doing it.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Ok I'm hijacking this thread. First @Sinn Fein , can you password protect guest accounts on that router? What I want is to create an account guests can use, but have my network protected. So a guest can use a PW to log on to the internet, but not access my printer or media storage (or other devices on the network). I want the guest account PW-protected so my neighbors can't use it. I'm not looking at that router specifically, but I assume the firmware is comparable.

I'm looking at this router, it seems capable of doing everything I want (dual band, guest accounts, etc).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FK1E46U/?tag=wackbagcom-20

I was trying to compare this one to the N66U model, and figured out that you're just paying ~$34 more for a black router. That seems weird.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I think so. I will login and verify it. I do not have the guest option enabled on mine.

I believe that W designation does in fact refer to the color. They have an R designation for the various models top indicate it is the retail model sold at places like best buy. The U model it's sold at newegg, etc.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I've heard alot of good things about Asus over the past year or so, and I'm definitely going to consider that next time. I've only had Linksys (pretty standard WRT54G and now an E3000)...and the WRT worked as well as I expected it would and it lasted about 6 years...but this E3000 will occasionally piss me off with spotty reception. Coming right off my modem, I can get consistent speeds at my cap of 20 down. Once I go on wi-fi, my signal, even right up against it, fluctuates between as low as 1.5 mbps to 19 mbps. I've tinkered with settings, switched channels, tried to seek out any interference, but no luck. Damn thing has been running hot lately too...it's about 2-3 years old, I guess.

I had also tried a $50 cheap D-Link unit before the E3000, and it literally died right after my 30-day store return. I called customer service for warranty info...and I couldn't understand a word the guy was saying. Called back, same thing. Asked for an actual English speaking person, and never got one. So it ended up in the garbage.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
D-Link used to be decent but really went down the shitter in terms of routers. Their cameras are nice though.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I have a cheap Linksys router now that I've had some problems with, so since I'm moving I decided to upgrade to one a more advanced router.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Before you run out and buy new home Cable Boxes.
People in our area with our own boxes were given Cable Modem boxes (Charter Cable), and told they were going to roll it all into the monthly cost. We could no longer use non-company equipment, wiring, or splitters. They came in and replaced my 4-way radio shack splitter and all my Walmart 6ft cables. My $50 cable modem was replaced by the same exact model. I was very pissed off. You know once one cable company pulls this crap and there isn't a whole lot of uproar, the rest of them are sure to follow.