New Claim of Taping Emerges Against Patriots

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
And now we have a story:

New Claim of Taping Emerges Against Patriots

INDIANAPOLIS — The Patriots’ pattern of illicitly videotaping the signals of opposing N.F.L. coaches began in Coach Bill Belichick’s first preseason with the team in 2000, a former Patriots player said. The information was put to use in that year’s regular-season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Belichick’s debut as New England’s coach.

The secret taping of signals, which is against league rules, continued at least through three championship seasons to the 2007 season opener against the Jets, when the Patriots were caught and subsequently sanctioned by the league.

As coaches and executives gathered here Thursday for the N.F.L. scouting combine, many saying they were satisfied with the league’s investigation and ready to move on, new details were emerging about the history of the Patriots’ videotaping.

According to several executives in the league, the season opener against the Jets was not the first time the Patriots had been spotted taping another team’s defensive coaches at Giants Stadium. In the final preseason game of 2006, the Patriots were caught taping a Giants defensive assistant giving signals, the executives said.

The incident prompted a letter addressed to all teams seven days later from the N.F.L. vice president Ray Anderson that detailed the league’s interpretation of the rules. That letter was cited by Commissioner Roger Goodell when he punished the Patriots.

Belichick has said that he misinterpreted the league’s bylaws, telling Goodell that he thought it was permissible to use electronic equipment as long as the information was not used in the same game. That explanation has been greeted with disbelief by some peers and league officials.

In a news conference last week, Goodell said Belichick’s explanation led to the assumption that he had been videotaping opponents’ signals “as long as he has been head coach.”

The league’s nine-member competition committee spent three days this week discussing various rules changes that it might recommend for next season. After a 90-minute briefing on the Patriots’ videotaping activities Thursday by Goodell and three league vice presidents, the committee said taping rules would not be changed in the aftermath of the controversy.

“The rules are very, very clear,” said Tennessee Titans Coach Jeff Fisher, a committee member. “There is no need to be more specific or clarify any rules whatsoever.”

Questions linger about how much of an advantage the Patriots may have had if they intercepted defensive signals. Under Belichick, the Patriots have often run a no-huddle offense, which forces opponents to quickly call a defensive play. N.F.L. rules allow quarterbacks to hear instructions from coaches — through a headset and into a speaker in the quarterback’s helmet — until there are 15 seconds left on a play clock. When the defensive play call is deciphered, the Patriots could call a play to counteract. The Patriots lost the 2000 opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, when videotape of signals was used in preparation, according to the former Patriots player, who was among several former players interviewed by the N.F.L but said he did not want to speak publicly because the investigation is continuing.

The Patriots appear to have continued the practice of taping opposing signals for seven years. Last September, Goodell fined Belichick $500,000, fined the Patriots $250,000 and took away one of team’s first-round draft choices in 2008. After the sanctions were announced, the Patriots submitted six tapes, from games in 2006 and 2007, and some notes that dated to 2002, Goodell said. The tapes and notes were destroyed days after being handed to the league, because Goodell considered the matter closed.

But questions remain about how wide and deep the Patriots’ taping habits extended. Senator Arlen Specter, a Pennsylvania Republican who met with Goodell last week, is among those still questioning why the league was so quick to sanction the Patriots and destroy the evidence.

Goodell met with the competition committee Thursday to discuss his handling of the spying case. Committee members seemed satisfied and eager to turn the page.

“We were all satisfied, every one of us,” said John Mara, the Giants’ president. “All of us have our different opinions about the Patriots, but we were all satisfied that this thing was investigated properly and that they came to the proper conclusion.”

Bill Polian, the president of the Indianapolis Colts, said: “It’s behind us. It’s time to move forward.”

But emerging details continue to pull the league back in time. On Feb. 2, The Boston Herald reported that the Patriots might have taped a St. Louis Rams walkthrough practice the day before the teams played in the 2002 Super Bowl. The Patriots won, 20-17, on a last-second field goal. Belichick, speaking to The Boston Globe, recently denied that the practice was taped.

In the hallway at the convention center here, Mike Martz wanted to talk about his new job as San Francisco’s offensive coordinator. Instead, reporters peppered him with questions about the Patriots. Martz was the coach of the Rams when the teams met in the Super Bowl six years ago.

He took exception to the theory that the Patriots could not have gleaned much information from taping the walkthrough. He said indeed they could, but added that was not the point.

“For somebody to say that, it’s kind of disgusting,” Martz said. “The whole point is if they really cheated. To say he took some steroids and it did help or it didn’t help, that’s never the point. The point is, to all these high school coaches and high school kids and college kids, that if they did cheat, that’s the point.”

Martz said he assumed the walkthrough report was false. A similar sentiment was voiced by Chicago Bears Coach Lovie Smith, the Rams’ defensive coordinator that season.

“It’s just hard for me to fathom anyone would do anything like that,” Smith said. “I’m sure, if there’s something to it, No. 1, it will come out later. Time has a way of taking care of all things.”

Martz was asked if he wanted the N.F.L. to continue investigating the walkthrough. “Of course,” he said. “I was involved in that. I was responsible for a lot of people in that game.”

Executives dismissed any lingering notions that the Patriots’ taping opponents was a common practice around the league.

“I don’t want the outside perception to be, ‘Boy, there are all these teams and they’re all doing all these things,’ ” said Rich McKay, the Falcons’ president and a member of the competition committee. “Because it’s not true.”

Belichick was not seen in the hallways of the convention center Thursday. Representatives of 21 teams are scheduled to meet with reporters for news conferences from Thursday to Sunday. Belichick and the Patriots are not among them.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Does anyone see a scenario where the Patriots would be stripped of any or all of their Super Bowl Titles?

Before anyone piles on, I'm not suggesting that. My point is - if that's not possible, then who gives a flying fuck?

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
there's no shot that they'd be stripped...but they'd be smeared somewhat. And basically just anything that rubs Boston fans' noses in the dirt is glorious

I just hope and pray that Bill pioneered this shit, not "learned" it from the Parcells era. :icon_conf

bubbawadd

Apr 4, 2004
Wheaton, IL
Does anyone see a scenario where the Patriots would be stripped of any or all of their Super Bowl Titles?

Before anyone piles on, I'm not suggesting that. My point is - if that's not possible, then who gives a flying fuck?
Titles won't be taken away, but there will be an aura of shit surrounding them, just like Bonds, Clemens, etc. with steroids. Any time they are brought up as a dynasty or greatest team ever someone will play the cheating card to counter.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
The Patriots champioships won't be taken away, but their legacy is definitely tainted. Plus if everything turns out to be true, Belichick should be suspended for four games at least, like he should have in the first place. Goodall suspended a Dallas coach for 4 games for receiveing HGH, why not Belichick. As much as Bob Kraft wanted this story to go away in September, it just grows new legs everyday.

shwoogie

You mad cuz I'm stylin' on you
Jun 2, 2004
Dracut, MA
I really wish Belichick would resign or retire or something. I've been a Pats fan for a long time and it sucks because everyone outside of New England hates them now and he's a huge reason why.

askewcore

Why am I Mr. Sparkle?
Dec 5, 2004
Goodall suspended a Dallas coach for 4 games for receiveing HGH, why not Belichick.
I was going to mention that too. Really, the entire New England coaching staff should be suspended for the first four games of next season at least. They all cheat, and have been for at least 7 years now. Its fucking disgraceful really.

I really wish Belichick would resign or retire or something. I've been a Pats fan for a long time and it sucks because everyone outside of New England hates them now and he's a huge reason why.
No, its just now that they lost all the bandwagoneers jumped off the ship.

Steam

May 18, 2003
No, its just now that they lost all the bandwagoneers jumped off the ship.
Its not just that. My friend back home casually supported them since they were a good team that went about things the right way but now he can't fucking stand them. I have a feeling there are many people out there like him.

Personally, I'll still support them when they aren't playing the Giants. I do have to admit though that I'm loving every second of this solely for the fact of what it does to a lot of the douches in their fanbase. If there was ever a group of cocksuckers who deserved this more its them.

Sct Ptersns Twn

Looking 4 a New 1st Mate
Dec 4, 2005
Gloucestershire
Fuck NE, Fuck Belichick, how come NO one else is saying that they did it, (ie we all taped calls, everyone tapes) come on NE fans tell me? WHY THE FUCK is no one else in the whole league saying that KC did it, Chicago did it, Pittsburgh did it. Riddle me that fuckos.

Salem

Midgets = funny
Jul 3, 2006
Buh Buh Buh Boston
Fuck NE, Fuck Belichick, how come NO one else is saying that they did it, (ie we all taped calls, everyone tapes) come on NE fans tell me? WHY THE FUCK is no one else in the whole league saying that KC did it, Chicago did it, Pittsburgh did it. Riddle me that fuckos.
Actually here is Coach Johnson and your KC team all in one story. Fucko. :action-sm
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/patriots/index.php/2008/02/23/jimmy-johnson-thinks-spygate-is-overblown/

Jimmy Johnson thinks Spygate is overblown
We originally posted this WFAN interview as having been conducted during Super Bowl week. It actually dates back to September. Regardless, it’s still interesting to note how commonplace former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson feels the use of cameras is by NFL teams. He admits he used them to steal signs all the time.

Q: How about the spying thing Jimmy. You’re a coach does that bother you what Belichick did?

JJ: Oh please. I’ve said it on our show. Eighteen years ago a scout for the Chiefs told me what they did, and he said what you need to do is just take your camera and you go and zoom in on the signal caller and that way you can sync it up. The problem is that if they’re not on the press box side you can’t do it from the press box, you have to do it from the sideline. This was 18 years ago.

Q: You think the NFL came down too hard on them?

JJ: No, no, I said it on the show. He was wrong for doing it for the simple reason that the league knew this was going on not just in New England but around the league. And the league sent out the memorandum to all of the teams saying you cannot do this. And so that’s when Bill Belichick was wrong. After he got the memorandum saying don’t do it any more, he did it.

Q: Did you ever steal signals?

JJ: Oh in a heartbeat, yeah. Yes I did.

Q: Via video, Jimmy? Or no?

JJ: Oh yeah, I did it with video and so did a lot of other teams in the league. Just to make sure that you could study it and take your time, because you’re going to play the other team the second time around. But a lot of coaches did it, this was commonplace.

Q: But did you do it by taping the signal caller?

JJ: Yeah.

Q: Oh you did.

JJ: That’s what I’m saying. I was saying one of Marty Schottenheimer’s scouts, Mark Hatley, who has passed away now, Mark told me that’s how they did it, and Howard Mudd their offensive line coach with Kansas City, who now coaches for Tony Dungy, he was the best in the entire league at stealing signals.

Q: Where’d you put your guy who was videotaping? Where was he?

JJ: My guy was up with my camera crew in the press box. So you’d just put an extra camera up with your camera crew in the press box who zoomed in on the signal callers. That’s the best way to do it, but anyway you can’t always do that because the press box camera crew might be on the same side as the opposing team. If they’re on the same side as the opposing team that’s when you need to do it from the sideline.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Actually here is Coach Johnson and your KC team all in one story. Fucko. :action-sm
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/patriots/index.php/2008/02/23/jimmy-johnson-thinks-spygate-is-overblown/

Jimmy Johnson thinks Spygate is overblown
We originally posted this WFAN interview as having been conducted during Super Bowl week. It actually dates back to September. Regardless, it’s still interesting to note how commonplace former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson feels the use of cameras is by NFL teams. He admits he used them to steal signs all the time.

Q: How about the spying thing Jimmy. You’re a coach does that bother you what Belichick did?

JJ: Oh please. I’ve said it on our show. Eighteen years ago a scout for the Chiefs told me what they did, and he said what you need to do is just take your camera and you go and zoom in on the signal caller and that way you can sync it up. The problem is that if they’re not on the press box side you can’t do it from the press box, you have to do it from the sideline. This was 18 years ago.

Q: You think the NFL came down too hard on them?

JJ: No, no, I said it on the show. He was wrong for doing it for the simple reason that the league knew this was going on not just in New England but around the league. And the league sent out the memorandum to all of the teams saying you cannot do this. And so that’s when Bill Belichick was wrong. After he got the memorandum saying don’t do it any more, he did it.

Q: Did you ever steal signals?

JJ: Oh in a heartbeat, yeah. Yes I did.

Q: Via video, Jimmy? Or no?

JJ: Oh yeah, I did it with video and so did a lot of other teams in the league. Just to make sure that you could study it and take your time, because you’re going to play the other team the second time around. But a lot of coaches did it, this was commonplace.

Q: But did you do it by taping the signal caller?

JJ: Yeah.

Q: Oh you did.

JJ: That’s what I’m saying. I was saying one of Marty Schottenheimer’s scouts, Mark Hatley, who has passed away now, Mark told me that’s how they did it, and Howard Mudd their offensive line coach with Kansas City, who now coaches for Tony Dungy, he was the best in the entire league at stealing signals.

Q: Where’d you put your guy who was videotaping? Where was he?

JJ: My guy was up with my camera crew in the press box. So you’d just put an extra camera up with your camera crew in the press box who zoomed in on the signal callers. That’s the best way to do it, but anyway you can’t always do that because the press box camera crew might be on the same side as the opposing team. If they’re on the same side as the opposing team that’s when you need to do it from the sideline.
I will not take Jimmy Johnson's word on this, him and Bill Belichick are known to be good friends. I hate to break this to Patriots fans, I don't see this story going away anytime soon.

Salem

Midgets = funny
Jul 3, 2006
Buh Buh Buh Boston
Ooh ooh heres another....fucko....:action-sm

http://www.phillymag.com/blogs/philly/2008/02/05/dick-vermeil-called-but-how-come-nobodys-questioned-jon-gruden/#more-927

Dick Vermeil Called, But How Come Nobody’s Questioned Jon Gruden?
The AP threw ex-Eagles coach Dick Vermeil into the shallow end of the spygate discussion, but the feisty 71-year-old wouldn’t bite. Vermeil said he didn’t think the Patriots videotaping the St. Louis Rams (the team he led to a Super Bowl victory in 2000 before retiring and turning it over to Mike Martz) walkthrough before the 2002 Super Bowl would have had any impact on the game’s outcome. Vermeil told the reporter that this “stuff’s been going on forever,” and added that “if people are doing it they must think it’s making a contribution.”

It’s an odd shrug of the shoulders from a coach who was notoriously spy-conscious during his Eagle coaching days, when he went so far as to chain gates and keep all outsiders away from practice.

Perhaps he’s just lightened up a bit since retirement and seen the faultiness in his own paranoid logic.

The one thing that’s yet to be proven is whether videotaping actually provides an advantage. If this has been going on for a long time, isn’t it on the coach to basically always have a varying schemes in place to counteract any of these covert spies from the other team? If memory serves correctly, there was one instance that should be looked into: Super Bowl XXXVII.

Remember that was the year (another ex-Eagle coordinator) Jon Gruden’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers shellacked the Oakland Raiders (his other former team) 48-21 with a smothering defense that seemed to jump plays and blitz at will before the Raiders even saw it coming. Many speculated that Gruden’s knowledge of his former team helped aid the victory. Remember what Bucs safety John Lynch said right after the trouncing?

“Every play they’ve run, we’ve run in practice.”

Really. I wonder if that came from game film. Chalk it up to former Raiders coach Bill Callahan just being completely unprepared, but would a guy be that negligent of his own team to not rework the scheme even a little bit if he’s playing against the guy that probably knows his team better than he does?

And if you know Chucky, you know how he loves to get an edge.

Vermeil doubts Patriots were aided [SI]

:clap:

Salem

Midgets = funny
Jul 3, 2006
Buh Buh Buh Boston
He said it not me. Just riddling him his stupid riddles. All he had to do was google. Not that difficult. Or maybe turn Sportcenter on and watc any former coach laugh about this when it was first being talked about at the beginning of the year before it becamse what it is today.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY

http://www.phillymag.com/blogs/philly/2008/02/05/dick-vermeil-called-but-how-come-nobodys-questioned-jon-gruden/#more-927

The AP threw ex-Eagles coach Dick Vermeil into the shallow end of the spygate discussion, but the feisty 71-year-old wouldn’t bite. Vermeil said he didn’t think the Patriots videotaping the St. Louis Rams (the team he led to a Super Bowl victory in 2000 before retiring and turning it over to Mike Martz) walkthrough before the 2002 Super Bowl would have had any impact on the game’s outcome. Vermeil told the reporter that this “stuff’s been going on forever,” and added that “if people are doing it they must think it’s making a contribution.”

It’s an odd shrug of the shoulders from a coach who was notoriously spy-conscious during his Eagle coaching days, when he went so far as to chain gates and keep all outsiders away from practice.

Perhaps he’s just lightened up a bit since retirement and seen the faultiness in his own paranoid logic.

The one thing that’s yet to be proven is whether videotaping actually provides an advantage. If this has been going on for a long time, isn’t it on the coach to basically always have a varying schemes in place to counteract any of these covert spies from the other team? If memory serves correctly, there was one instance that should be looked into: Super Bowl XXXVII.

Remember that was the year (another ex-Eagle coordinator) Jon Gruden’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers shellacked the Oakland Raiders (his other former team) 48-21 with a smothering defense that seemed to jump plays and blitz at will before the Raiders even saw it coming. Many speculated that Gruden’s knowledge of his former team helped aid the victory. Remember what Bucs safety John Lynch said right after the trouncing?

Really. I wonder if that came from game film. Chalk it up to former Raiders coach Bill Callahan just being completely unprepared, but would a guy be that negligent of his own team to not rework the scheme even a little bit if he’s playing against the guy that probably knows his team better than he does?

Sorry this doesn't help your arguement either. Bill Callahan was a shitty coach, just look at the season after the Super Bowl. Plus just look at his stellar career at Nebraska. See what you have year, is people in the NFL circling the wagons, trying to keep Congress off its back, by downplaying the impact of Spygate. Also, this could all been avoided, if the tapes weren't erased.

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
It's My Birthday!
May 11, 2007
Somerville, NJ

I don't care one way or the other about the Pats. If they couldn't catch them while it happened, tough shit for the Rams, Panthers and Eagles. I just want to know why are they asking Vermeil about the Patriots? The last line says it all. "Vermeil doubts Patriots were aided". But you'll never know, will you, you overemotional crybaby coot! Because Martz was the coach during Super Bowl XXXVI, not you!!

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
Well to be fair they need to dig up these old fossil coaches for comments because no one who is working now is going to own up to knowing anything about it.

Salem

Midgets = funny
Jul 3, 2006
Buh Buh Buh Boston
I dont see why they where destroyed either. That was stupid. Its the NFL for crying out loud. Its not national security. The NFL is beginning to seem like its taking itself a little too seriously. It is a sort after all. Destroying "evidence" is exessive. Its not the mafia. And fucking congress has no place wasting my $$$ investigating shit.

If it gets out of hand and becomes biased and set-up like boxing where the games are fixed.....then it will tank like boxing. Boxing was huge. Then it shit the bed. The NFL will shit the bed if scandel and bullshit continues. Simple as that. College football is around (as much as I hate it). Arena (ick). Semi-pro (for some of us).

The JJ interview was from Sept. Taping calls from the sidelines/boxes has been going on for years and years. Its never been a big deal. Thats why when they came down on the Pats for it all the talking heads didnt think it was a big thing. All the haters did. All the talking heads had seen it going on for years, Shit it happened to us at my high school!!! Kids from different schools in varsity jackets would tape our coaches and our Ds and O coaches sending me hand signals to call plays on the huddle. Its part of the game. thats why we changed it all every week. new arm band full of numbered plays every quarter. Sometimes it still seemed like they knew. Sometimes it seemed like I ciuld have called the play and told them the count at the line.

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
I will not take Jimmy Johnson's word on this, him and Bill Belichick are known to be good friends. I hate to break this to Patriots fans, I don't see this story going away anytime soon.

I do see this go away...with super fan Roger Goodell as commish they have nothing to worry about. :icon_mrgr

fkornre

Boogity Boogity Boogity...Let's go racing boys...
Nov 4, 2006
monroe twp, nj
how can we as fans say anything when it comes to league issues??? we are just fans who watch the game...i am not in the locker room when they get ready for the game, i am not on the practice field when they run drills or when they watch film and study...

it will probably come out that other teams do the same but as of right now only the Pats have been caught....what else do you want us to say???

Sct Ptersns Twn

Looking 4 a New 1st Mate
Dec 4, 2005
Gloucestershire
how can we as fans say anything when it comes to league issues??? we are just fans who watch the game...i am not in the locker room when they get ready for the game, i am not on the practice field when they run drills or when they watch film and study...

it will probably come out that other teams do the same but as of right now only the Pats have been caught....what else do you want us to say???

Well, to tell ya the truth I am sick and tired of it all, the cheating the taping the whatever. Basically I am more sick of the smugness of Belichick. But then again, I guess if I where a NE fan, I would not only like him....................I would LOOOOOOOVE him. All the bragging and lip flapping by mostly the fans/wannabee fans drove the cheating thing into further hatred for the Pats.

I guess I am sick of all the NE shit out on the road, in the yards, on people's back, flying from cars and flag poles and shit when before this season there was not 10 fans in the whole fucking state of Virginia (google that up and check the numbers I might be off by 2 or 3).............hey wait a minute all that Pat's shit packed away, none to be found anywhere. Even as a Stiller fan I where my shit after every fucking loss, matter of fact I where that shit all year round. Oh well, I guess "fkornre" stated it best, they got caught so they get the brunt of the cheating bullshit. Luckily for you Pats fans, the next team will not be so lucky, check out the baseball steroids thingy, Canseco is nowhere to be found these days.

fkornre

Nov 4, 2006
monroe twp, nj
Well, to tell ya the truth I am sick and tired of it all, the cheating the taping the whatever. Basically I am more sick of the smugness of Belichick. But then again, I guess if I where a NE fan, I would not only like him....................I would LOOOOOOOVE him. All the bragging and lip flapping by mostly the fans/wannabee fans drove the cheating thing into further hatred for the Pats.

I guess I am sick of all the NE shit out on the road, in the yards, on people's back, flying from cars and flag poles and shit when before this season there was not 10 fans in the whole fucking state of Virginia (google that up and check the numbers I might be off by 2 or 3).............hey wait a minute all that Pat's shit packed away, none to be found anywhere. Even as a Stiller fan I where my shit after every fucking loss, matter of fact I where that shit all year round. Oh well, I guess "fkornre" stated it best, they got caught so they get the brunt of the cheating bullshit. Luckily for you Pats fans, the next team will not be so lucky, check out the baseball steroids thingy, Canseco is nowhere to be found these days.
yup....and i am the same as you....here in NJ, where the Gmen play I could not find a flag - a - flyin anywhere of these so-called fans....once they hit the SB the flags, jackets, shirts and hats are everywhere...if i remember correctly, most of my coworkers who are gmen fans said all year long 'fuck ELI and fuck Coughlin"...fire them both!!!!!...every team has their fair-share of these fans...THE DAY after the Pats lost i still wore my pats hat and my workout clothes are Patriots gear....my everyday jacket is a Pats pullover...you will always see my showing my gear proud regardless of what else is going on (until yankee season starts then my yankees hat comes out...and it was funny the other day when i was wearing my yankees hat with my pats shirt...oooooppppsss)...

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
Yeah being a Pats and Yankees fan make you look like the worst kind of front runner. But I have a good reason, honestly! ;)

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
It's My Birthday!
May 11, 2007
Somerville, NJ
yup....and i am the same as you....here in NJ, where the Gmen play I could not find a flag - a - flyin anywhere of these so-called fans....once they hit the SB the flags, jackets, shirts and hats are everywhere...if i remember correctly, most of my coworkers who are gmen fans said all year long 'fuck ELI and fuck Coughlin"...fire them both!!!!!...every team has their fair-share of these fans...THE DAY after the Pats lost i still wore my pats hat and my workout clothes are Patriots gear....my everyday jacket is a Pats pullover...you will always see my showing my gear proud regardless of what else is going on (until yankee season starts then my yankees hat comes out...and it was funny the other day when i was wearing my yankees hat with my pats shirt...oooooppppsss)...
:icon_roll That whole "I didn't see any flags flying or people wearing tshirts around here in NJ" argument makes me cringe. Is there a law that says people have to do all that stuff to be "true fans"? With the exception of a few strike-shortened games and that Hurricane Katrina "away game", the Giants have sold out every game since '76. Outside of Green Bay, the Giants have one of the most loyal fanbases around. Most Giants fans can tell you a whole bunch about the Ray Handley and Dan Reeves eras, when Dave Brown stunk up the joint and Rodney Hampton was the only weapon the offense had. When a young Strahan and Jessie Armstead and Keith Hamilton had to do all the work on D.

Can most Patriot fans honestly chat about the Raymond Berry/Rod Rust/Dick MacPherson years? When that powerhouse Hugh Millen to Irving Fryar combo was burning up the NFL? When Andre Tippett was being overshadowed by LT? Nah... the games were blacked out and those rickety bleachers at the old Foxboro Stadium were empty.

I give pretty much everybody the benefit of the doubt with their sports allegiances. All the Giants fans said "Fuck Eli and Fuck Coughlin" at one point. So what? You mean to tell me you never said "Fuck You A-Rod you overrated bum"? Getting mad at your team doesn't make you any less of a fan.

fkornre

Nov 4, 2006
monroe twp, nj
:icon_roll That whole "I didn't see any flags flying or people wearing tshirts around here in NJ" argument makes me cringe. Is there a law that says people have to do all that stuff to be "true fans"? With the exception of a few strike-shortened games and that Hurricane Katrina "away game", the Giants have sold out every game since '76. Outside of Green Bay, the Giants have one of the most loyal fanbases around. Most Giants fans can tell you a whole bunch about the Ray Handley and Dan Reeves eras, when Dave Brown stunk up the joint and Rodney Hampton was the only weapon the offense had. When a young Strahan and Jessie Armstead and Keith Hamilton had to do all the work on D.

Can most Patriot fans honestly chat about the Raymond Berry/Rod Rust/Dick MacPherson years? When that powerhouse Hugh Millen to Irving Fryar combo was burning up the NFL? When Andre Tippett was being overshadowed by LT? Nah... the games were blacked out and those rickety bleachers at the old Foxboro Stadium were empty.

I give pretty much everybody the benefit of the doubt with their sports allegiances. All the Giants fans said "Fuck Eli and Fuck Coughlin" at one point. So what? You mean to tell me you never said "Fuck You A-Rod you overrated bum"? Getting mad at your team doesn't make you any less of a fan.
i am attacking those who are calling many of us Patriot fans "bandwagon jumpers"....i have never been or ever will be a bandwagon jumper....i have always wore my team colors/logos with pride regardless of how awful or good they are....what i do have a problem with is those who come out and attack myself (or other fans who promote their teams openly) by those who do jump on a team when they are doing "good" only...its funny how when the Gmen were playing like shit the houses i pass didnt fly the giants flag....but once they beat Dallas the flags were all over the place like those who where hanging American flags after 9/11...

getting mad at your team does not make you any less of a fan...but to tell me for 9 weeks you want your "star qb" and your head coach fired/killed or whatever else you say then all of a sudden tell me they are gods gift to this planet is ridiculous...if your a fan you stay by your team no matter what...not jump on and off when they are winning/losing...