New Game Machine a Waste?

Bobobie

I usually build a new machine every 3 years, but I'm wondering if I should wait a few more. All my Games seem to play fine. The last time I upgraded from the Original P4, 384 meg of Ram with with a Geforce 4.

I now have a Athlon64 3200, 2 gig of ram, and Nvidia 7800 GS AGP. Not the latest greatest hardware, but do you really need it?

that system should rock for another 6 months to a year, even longer if you are not concerned with directX10 and SM 4.0. Even then if you are concerned with cutting-edge, the only thing you need to replace is the video card.

GonzoRadio

I like yoguuuuuurt
that system should rock for another 6 months to a year, even longer if you are not concerned with directX10 and SM 4.0. Even then if you are concerned with cutting-edge, the only thing you need to replace is the video card.
His video card is most likely AGP. AGP is still a competent technology, but all of the new video cards are PCIe...I think only one new card was released for AGP. Being that the supply of motherboards that support AGP is dwindling, and then he'd probably want to take his new videocard to the next machine, I'd probably hold off.

If you can, hold out like another 8 months or even a year. In 8 months quad cores will be what dual cores were last spring. If for the same money or a little more you can get 4 cores for the price of 2 today, I think its worth the wait, especially since your rig is running fine now.

HumpX

Character Assassin
I usually build a new machine every 3 years, but I'm wondering if I should wait a few more. All my Games seem to play fine. The last time I upgraded from the Original P4, 384 meg of Ram with with a Geforce 4.

I now have a Athlon64 3200, 2 gig of ram, and Nvidia 7800 GS AGP. Not the latest greatest hardware, but do you really need it?
you're about where I am in terms of hardware, maybe slightly higher on my end (4000+ CPU and a 7800GT). I feel the same way, every couple of years I upgrade but what I'm using now is doing fine. I think towards the end of the year when Crysis, HellGate:London and a dozen other DX10 games start being released a Vid card upgrade is in order. As far as CPU's go it's a big fucking scam IMO. I'm getting approx the same performance as I did with 2800 Pent. that I had 3 years ago. RAM-wise another gig won't hurt but its not absolutely necessary either.

Do a little overclocking and you'll squeeze more time out of it for the price of a bigger CPU and Video card heatsink set.

GonzoRadio

I like yoguuuuuurt
you're about where I am in terms of hardware, maybe slightly higher on my end (4000+ CPU and a 7800GT). I feel the same way, every couple of years I upgrade but what I'm using now is doing fine. I think towards the end of the year when Crysis, HellGate:London and a dozen other DX10 games start being released a Vid card upgrade is in order. As far as CPU's go it's a big fucking scam IMO. I'm getting approx the same performance as I did with 2800 Pent. that I had 3 years ago. RAM-wise another gig won't hurt but its not absolutely necessary either.

Do a little overclocking and you'll squeeze more time out of it for the price of a bigger CPU and Video card heatsink set.
Now that dual core and soon quad core are becoming the norm I think the cpu will play a bigger role in gaming, especially in simulations.

Bobobie

I couldn't hold out. I'm just an upgrade junky and its been too long since I've had a fix.

This is my new machine.

Most of the parts are still out in UPS land.

CASE RAIDMAX|ATX-612WBP 500W $89.99

MB nASUS P5N32-E SLI NF680I 775 $209.99

ASUS EN8600GT SILENT/HTDP/256M $142.99

400G SamsunG 7K 16M SATA2 HD403LJ $84.99)

1Gx2 CORSAIR XMS2 2GB $131.00

DVDRW LITE-ON 20X DVD±R SATA $36.99

Proccessor Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz $222.90

Total 918.85

with shipping $976 total

T

ThunderPimp

I would normally say no, but right now is the best time to buy a PC in my lifetime. Processors are dirt cheap, DDR2 is finally down, and video cards are coming down into a reasonable level. If I didn't already have two AMD 64 dual core machines I'd go with a Intel core 2, or quad system in a second. You made a good decision to buy now.

HumpX

Character Assassin
I couldn't hold out. I'm just an upgrade junky and its been too long since I've had a fix.

This is my new machine.

Most of the parts are still out in UPS land.

CASE RAIDMAX|ATX-612WBP 500W $89.99

MB nASUS P5N32-E SLI NF680I 775 $209.99

ASUS EN8600GT SILENT/HTDP/256M $142.99

400G SamsunG 7K 16M SATA2 HD403LJ $84.99)

1Gx2 CORSAIR XMS2 2GB $131.00

DVDRW LITE-ON 20X DVD±R SATA $36.99

Proccessor Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz $222.90

Total 918.85

with shipping $976 total
Nice deal though I would've gone a little higher end on the video card if you are going to do any serious gaming. I don't think the 8600 is DX10 capable (or is it?)

Good luck with it in any case :action-sm

T

ThunderPimp

Nice deal though I would've gone a little higher end on the video card if you are going to do any serious gaming. I don't think the 8600 is DX10 capable (or is it?)
It is, but it's not very good. I'd also have went a bit higher end. I'm running a 8800 GTS 640mb, and 7900 GS right now in my two machines.

Bobobie

It is, but it's not very good. I'd also have went a bit higher end. I'm running a 8800 GTS 640mb, and 7900 GS right now in my two machines.
I had to keep it under $1000. Would another 8600 GT in SLI be comparable or better than a 8800?

T

ThunderPimp

I had to keep it under $1000. Would another 8600 GT in SLI be comparable or better than a 8800?
You'd be better off just using that card for a bit and maybe upgrading later. With games SLI sometimes isn't better than a single card, and at best is about 80% improvement for %100 more of the price.