New Info About the Merger ( merged...that's kinda ironic, isn't it?)

ChrisH

Waddle Doodle
Jun 11, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Fresh from Drudge:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070723/sirius_xm_satellite.html?.v=1

AP
Sirius, XM Satellite Unveil New Plans
Monday July 23, 11:28 am ET Sirius, XM Satellite to Submit Response to FTC, Unveil a La Carte, Family Plans

NEW YORK (AP) -- Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. and XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. said Monday the companies plan to offer a la cart plans to consumers starting at $6.99 for 50 channels.
The two radio satellite operators, which are merging in a $4.7 billion deal announced in February, also plan to introduce two family-friendly plans that will block adult-themed programing.

The companies are filing on Tuesday joint reply comments to the Federal Trade Commission, which is considering whether to approve the merger of Sirius and XM Satellite. The deal, which has faced opposition from lawmakers and consumer groups, also requires approval by the Justice Department.

Under the a la carte option, customers will be able to buy additional channels for as little as 25 cents each. A second a la carte option will allow subscribers to choose 100 channels and will allow Sirius customers to select from some of the best of XM's programming and XM subscribers to choose from some of the best of Sirius' programming.

In total, the companies plan to offer eight plans costing up to $16.99 per month. Currently, the companies offer programming options costing from $12.95 to $25.90 per month.

A la carte programming will be available beginning within one year following the merger, and the other programming options will be available beginning within six months following the merger.

"The a la carte options and other packages unveiled today demonstrate that consumers will be the beneficiaries of this merger," said Mel Karmazin, chief executive of Sirius Satellite. "The efficiencies of the merger will allow the combined companies to save hundreds of millions of dollars a year and give us the opportunity to increase the number of programming options available to subscribers."

In morning trading, shares of XM Satellite fell 3 cents to $12.62, and Sirius Satellite shares added 10 cents to $3.22.

Dani75

I hate stupid people...
Jan 27, 2005
Norton, MA
A la carte is ok I guess. I still hate anything that has to do with hoo hoo and Mel Karmazin.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
I still don't get how a company with $3 stock is buying a company with $12 stock.

I know the music channels are pretty interchangable, but I still don't want any of the Sirius ones to replace. I like Big Tracks and Squizz...don't care that they have the same thing over there. The only Sirius thing I'd even consider getting is Maxim Radio and Margaritaville.

FellowTraveler

Frank Reynolds is my hero
Jul 24, 2005
I like the idea where I pay $12.95 a month and get all the channels.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
I still don't get how a company with $3 stock is buying a company with $12 stock.

I know the music channels are pretty interchangable, but I still don't want any of the Sirius ones to replace. I like Big Tracks and Squizz...don't care that they have the same thing over there. The only Sirius thing I'd even consider getting is Maxim Radio and Margaritaville.

The music channels are pretty fuckin' far from interchangeable, and the cost per share of one company when compared to the cost per share of another is irrelevant. Sirius has enough of those $3 shares floating around to make their company worth $4.7 billion. The value of XM's big ol' $12 shares only adds up to $3.8 billion. You figure it out.

Tryaluckystrike

Feb 19, 2007
Mel: Just remember that having choice still means satellite subscribers have the opportunity to choose Opie & Anthony if they so desire. Don't let Miss Poodle Head steer you from making good business decisions.

MelissaY1

Resident Star Fucker
Nov 28, 2005
NY
I actually like specific music channels on XM. I've heard what both companies offer as I knew someone who was a subscriber to both and I just think Sirius they gab way too much, are more hits oriented....As long as I can still get my XM rock channels and the 80s stuff and O&A I'll be happy IF this merger actually happens

Nov 8, 2005
Below Canada
the only channels i listen to are 202 and 150. i personally think the music sucks, but then again, i don't listen to music that much anyway. ala carte seems alright for me.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
will be able to buy additional channels for as little as 25 cents each.
I think this is the interesting part. I already heard a friend at work say how 25 cents for each station sounds like a good deal. But I bet 25 cents will get you the tropical or the opera station, anything good will be much higher.

They should be forced to disclose exactly how much O&A, Howard, Maxim, NFL, MLB channels are.

Looks like another sneaky move by Mel.

izzy izkowitz

Chris Hansen is my hero
May 23, 2007
I like the idea where I pay $12.95 a month and get all the channels.
qft. the 16.95 option seems like price going up to me, which seems like not beneficial to me, the consumer. not liking this one bit.

Jul 14, 2005
Lying C-suckers. No price increase eh. $.25 a channel is alot when you consider all the MLB, NHL and NFL channels after the orginal 50. THis stinks!

gannoc2

New Wackbag
May 16, 2007
That's how they're going to get the boys

Imagine if all of the a-la-carte plans include Stern for free, but people have to actively order O&A...

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I would gladly pay an additional $4.00 a month for Howard, Breuer, and the NFL, as long as I don't have to pay a bunch of money for a new unit to do so. Maybe my customized ideal lineup of the music and sports channels, Howard, O&A, the NFL and MLB will actually be less than $16.95, which would make me really happy.

ChrisH

Waddle Doodle
Jun 11, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I wish Wifflebatlube would return to opine on these developments. If he has, under a different name, and i haven't picked up on it yet, please PM me. Thanks.

Slow Bollards

Bollards...sounds a bit rude, doesn't it?
Apr 28, 2005
SILLY-delphia!
the only channels i listen to are 202 and 150. i personally think the music sucks, but then again, i don't listen to music that much anyway. ala carte seems alright for me.
I listen to 202 and hit the various news stations periodically. I think XM's music programming blows. Ethel used to be the shit and now every song is some "Fall-out-Jimmy-Eat-Chemical-Charlotte" GARBAGE. Deep tracks is ok in small doses, but I stand by Op's early criticism that it's way deep for even a deep format.

When I'm in the car with my friend and i peruse through what the little doggy is barking I am constantly impressed.

I like the a la carte plan in theory, but I have to look at what my options versus cash outlay are. The only reason I have xm after the suspension is because I "chewed" them down to 6 months free on all three of my units.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
* They must be very desperate to sell down their subscription asking price for listening to basic channels. They can already do this but this shows their desperation to jump through the FCC's hoops.
* It looks like they will be raising rates if any combo units every become produced and those units eventually will be the only new ones produced. I predict eventually your unit will be marginally supported.
* Government controlled monopoly where the FCC choses the subscription fees. Possible content rules?
* Family friendly plans means less people will listen to Ron&Fez/Opie & Anthony by accident. XM 202 is an XL channel if you forgot.
* We can already control content on XM receivers.
* A non-merger would be better for XM . http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070718/satellite_radio_mover.html?.v=2

Jacoby favors XM if the merger fails, as he thinks the company is likely to gather a 60 percent share of the original equipment manufacturer subscriber market over the next several years.
I predict XM-Sirius subscribers eventually will be paying cable-ish rates for satellite radio if the merger goes through in just a few years with fewer channels on the unit you already own.
I predict XM-Sirius subscribers eventually will be paying cable-ish rates for satellite radio if the merger goes through in just a few years with fewer channels on the unit you already own.

S

stinkyfingers

FUCK THAT !!!!
FUCK MEL
and most importantly
FUCK SIRIUS!!!!
jeez im fuckin heated over this one .

STARTSOMETHING

I wanna b, like ronnie b!
Jul 30, 2005
Harrisburg PA
I started this thread becuase im pissed!

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/xm-and-sirius-detail-their-a-la-carte-offering.html

I just read this and if it does happen how much will it cost me to get Opie and Anthony. The nfl without fucking howie and not cost me 30 dollars a month?

not much of a benefit to the consumer?

I know i should jump on the hate xm train. But, i live in a fucking farm town all this town has is a fucking line dance every saturday night! :mad4: Which means no o and a here EVER!

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
So if I want to listen to my current programming it will now be $17?

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
So if I want to listen to my current programming it will now be $17?
No....

XM Everything or Sirius Everything - $12.99/month gets you a similar package to what you're receiving today. The current $6.99 multi-receiver packages will still continue.

I'll probably choose this:

Best of Both package - Continue to receive your current existing Sirius or XM programming, plus get the option to add the "best of" channels from Sirius or XM, for only $16.95/month. That's a 34% savings to subscribing to both services today.

Sirius, w/some XM (That's only if 202 is available as a best of channel)

Otherwise I'll go with:

Sirius News, Sports and Talk programming or XM News, Sports and Talk programming - again, also $9.99/month and pretty self-explanatory

Get both of these packages and have all the sports and 202 I want.