New Jersey can't afford to maintain Founders' graves... This State blows

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
NJ can't afford to maintain Founders' graves
by The Associated Press
Wednesday July 04, 2007

When in the course of human events it becomes necessary to honor the grave sites of Declaration of Independence signers, don't count New Jersey in.

It can't afford it.

Five Declaration signers are buried in the Garden State _ four New Jerseyans and a Pennsylvanian. But an effort to preserve their graves, promote their lives and honor them with graveside plaques has stalled in a state that was home to several key Revolutionary War battles and dubs itself the "Crossroads of the American Revolution."

A plan to spend $200,000 to preserve and newly mark the graves has bounced around the Legislature for more than three years without becoming law, a victim to chronic state budget woes that has left the state annually scrambling to close budget deficits.

Assemblyman Reed Gusciora, a bill sponsor, said he continues to lobby heavily for the proposal, but noted how the latest state budget sliced funding for charities that help homeless people and inner-city poor, among others.

"It's hard to justify spending money on historic grave sites when there's a real human need out there," said Gusciora, D-Mercer.

The proposal would establish a state program to preserve the graves and promote Abraham Clark, John Hart, Richard Stockton, and John Witherspoon, who signed for New Jersey, and George Clymer, who signed for Pennsylvania but is buried in Trenton.

Stockton and Witherspoon _ an ancestor to Academy Award-winning actress Reese Witherspoon _ are buried in Princeton, while Hart is in Hopewell Borough and Clark in Rahway.
Francis Hopkinson, who also signed the Declaration for New Jersey, is buried in Philadelphia.

Razor Roman

MJMandalayForPresident2024
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
Weird, I figured the state of NJ would have easily been able to afford this with all the money they saved by now making us state employees work the day after thanksgiving. :arrrh:

Capt.Caveman

Totally unlikeable
Jan 13, 2005
closer to a playground then allowed by law
y'know our property taxes, one of the highest in the country but hey they got no money. here's an idea stop sending it to newark, asbury, keansburg and trenton to pay savages who have no interest in working

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Run a mower over it once a week, go around the stone with a string trimmer. What am I missing?

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
Run a mower over it once a week, go around the stone with a string trimmer. What am I missing?
I was thinking the same thing? Two hundred thousand dollars? Why can't they just find some retired volunteer guy to do it? It would give him something to brag about down at the VFW.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
I was thinking the same thing? Two hundred thousand dollars? Why can't they just find some retired volunteer guy to do it? It would give him something to brag about down at the VFW.
From the way it read, it seemed that they want to replace the stones too. That might run $3-$5.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
And yet taxes got so great that myself and 10 friends had to relocate (no not my fingers)
Guess the property taxes got too high

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
And yet taxes got so great that myself and 10 friends had to relocate (no not my fingers)
Guess the property taxes got too high
This liberal mayor and his cronies in my city are getting fucking ridiculous as well man. The decent houses are unafforable for young families because the proud motherfuckers driving up taxes and a high market from real estate agents.

But this is my favorite. The city is spending$1,000,000 to redo some brick flower beds around the town sqaure (which is like 250x250ft). It is such a waste of money. They must be giving one of their friends the contract because it DOESN'T cost $1M to make some fucking flowerbeds.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Weird, I figured the state of NJ would have easily been able to afford this with all the money they saved by now making us state employees work the day after thanksgiving. :arrrh:
What's wrong with that? They make enough. They should work.

Razor Roman

MJMandalayForPresident2024
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
What's wrong with that? They make enough. They should work.
Maybe we should work... but seriously, 1. they gave it to us for years and years and years and years and 2. it will actually cost some places money. For example, I work at a college. There are no classes that day, so on Wednesday night they shut down all non-essential power systems, lower the temperature of the buildings, etc. Now they can't do that.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
NJ can't afford to maintain Founders' graves
by The Associated Press
Wednesday July 04, 2007

Stockton and Witherspoon _ an ancestor to Academy Award-winning actress Reese Witherspoon _ are buried in Princeton, while Hart is in Hopewell Borough and Clark in Rahway.
Let's ask Reese to set up a fund to help restore the grave.

There's more misappropriation in this state than legitimate use of funds. Maybe some historical preservation society should hold a coin toss at some major intersections. It seems to work for the PAL.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
go to the corner of Front St & 2nd. Av in Plainfield (or Dunellen) hire some spanish dudes, and pick up some new heads & plaques. Total cost - approx. 1000$ a piece maybe?

Unfuckingbeleivable.

N.J. can't keep up some of the founding fathers' graves. And the rest of the country can't keep up their principles.

Yeah, ain't America great. Now wave a fucking flag and eat a hot dog and tell me how wonderful it is again.