New Jersey 'Hat Bandit' hero teller gets $10K but Bank of America Fires him.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
The Bank of America teller who helped police catch the notorious "Hat Bandit" responsible for 19 area robberies in 10 months was handed $10,000 in reward money from law enforcement this afternoon - but said he had to give up his job to collect it.

Steven Gomez, a 21-year-old junior at Rutgers University, said his employer told him he had to forfeit the job if he took the money publicly. Gomez said he chose to leave the bank and portrayed his departure as a resignation rather than being fired.

He said his Bank of America bosses were not happy with him because he defied company procedures when he trailed the robber out of the building after the bandit demanded $3,000.

Bank of America spokeswoman Tara Burke said today she could not speak about Gomez personally but all employees are trained in the steps and actions to take in the event of a robbery.

"It is for their protection as well as the protection of the customers," Burke said.

Gomez, an Elizabeth resident, is a business and finance major who worked 25 hours a week at the bank. Gomez was instrumental to police in cracking the case of the mystery man who wore hats to his bank heists. Authorities had no solid leads until July 22, when James Madison walked into the Union Township bank branch.

Madison demanded $3,000 from Gomez. Gomez turned over the money but decided to trail Madison to the parking lot and spied him leaving in a black 2001 Nissan Altima. Gomez got the license plate number that led police to Madison, a paroled killer living in Maplewood.

Madison, 50, has since confessed to 19 robberies in which he netted $80,000. Madison pleaded guilty in federal court in September and is awaiting sentencing.

Contributing to Gomez' reward were Union County Crimestoppers ($1,000), Morris County Crimestoppers ($1,000), Essex County Crimestoppers ($1,000), Commerce Bank ($2,000) and the FBI ($5,000).

Turfmower

Jan 17, 2005
Jersey
Take the money its not like he can't get another teller job at a different bank.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
Bank of America will give credit cards & mortgages to illegal aliens but fires a law abiding American for helping to catch someone who robbed their bank.

Just another reason to not do business with them.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Bank of America will give credit cards & mortgages to illegal aliens but fires a law abiding American for helping to catch someone who robbed their bank.

Just another reason to not do business with them.
QFT!

Nortonsmeatytit

"That ball is outta here"
Sep 11, 2005
Philly
take the money & fuck'em

Christ if you can speak english, piss clean & pass a backround check you can be a teller at any friggin bank

Smokezilla

U. S. Backstroke Roulette Champion
Jul 30, 2005
BumFuck-Egypt, KY
I worked as a teller for several years. . . We were actually told not to try to stop them. A teller at one of our branches chased-down a guy who'd robbed them out on the street and he got fired, too. FUCK THAT!!!

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
teller jobs suck balls anyway, the 10k is probably 3months salary

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
'techincally' the guy risked his ass on company time. Big no no to some of these guys. (you think lawyers are bad in radio? - I'm sure you know what I mean.)

assholes. That kid can do more with 10K flat now than wasting his time in a fucking bank.