New Jersey Jail Guard named in escape note commits Suicide

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005

The corrections officer sarcastically thanked in the note left by two inmates who made a daring escape last month from Union County Jail committed suicide this morning, authorities said today.
Corrections Officer Rudy Zurick.The guard, Rudolph Zurick, 40, shot himself in the head at his home in Middlesex County, authorities said. Sayreville police responding to a 911 call just before 9 a.m. discovered Zurick in the basement of his Luke Street home, where he was pronounced dead at 9:10, according to the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office.

Zurick used his personal semi-automatic pistol, Union County Police Chief Daniel Vaniska said.

Zurick, who had not been charged in the inmates' Hollywood-style jailbreak, was due to be interviewed by police today about the escape, his lawyer said.

"He was very depressed and distraught over all the media attention," said Kenneth Burkert, a delegate for PBA Local 199, which represents officers at the jail. "He just couldn't believe what happened. He was a perfectionist."

Inmates Jose Espinosa and Otis Blunt, who remain at large, secretly chiseled holes in the cinder-block walls of their cells and hid their progress behind racy magazine photos before making a spectacular 25-foot leap to freedom Dec. 15

Otis Blunt, left, 32, of Toms River and Jose Espinosa, 20, of Elizabeth.

They left the note before departing, taunting Zurick and the other jailers with a hand-drawn smiley face and a hand with an upraised middle finger.

"Thank You Officer (Zurick) for the tools needed. You're a real Pal! Happy Holidays," one of them wrote. "Smile."

Zurick reported for work at 4 p.m. and discovered the two inmates were missing.

Espinosa, a member of the Bloods street gang, was to be sentenced this month for his role in a deadly 2005 drive-by shooting. Blunt was awaiting trial in the shooting of a Hillside convenience store manager.

Zurick leaves behind a wife and 4-year-old daughter and had worked as a corrections officer for 14 years, Burkert said. Vaniska said he was unsure whether anyone else was home at the time Zurick shot himself.

The escape sparked a sweeping shakeup at the jail, leading to the reassignment of the director and the firing of his top deputy.

Zurick today was supposed to go to Union County Police headquarters, where he was expected to detail what happened the day of the escape, said his lawyer, Michael Mitzner of Watchung.

The interview, Zurick's first with investigators, was purely related to possible administrative charges, ranging from suspension to termination, Vaniska said.

"We don't know what to think. It's strange. Just bizarre," said Vaniska, who did not know Zurick personally. "You wonder why people do things like this. It's very sad."

Mitzner stressed that Zurick did nothing wrong.

"For 14 years he had an unblemished record," Mitzner said. "It's just a shame. Obviously you are unhappy when you have an escape occur and your name gets mentioned. It's hard to figure what goes through one's mind."

Burkert called Zurick a "dedicated family man."

"I am totally devastated, " he said.

click

Jan 5, 2005
N. Jersey
Wow, I hadn't heard about this. they catch these fuckers yet?

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Dec 12, 2001
NY
Now they'll get a murder charge added to their sentence when they're caught....nice.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
Why are inmates allowed to hang posters or anything else on the walls of their cells? Every fucking prison escape movie shows the inmates using that exact method to escape, but they're still allowed to hang that shit.

DoucheMeister

I'm a douche!
Jun 2, 2006
Ottawa, Canada

The corrections officer sarcastically thanked in the note left by two inmates who made a daring escape last month from Union County Jail committed suicide this morning, authorities said today.
Corrections Officer Rudy Zurick.The guard, Rudolph Zurick, 40, shot himself in the head at his home in Middlesex County, authorities said. Sayreville police responding to a 911 call just before 9 a.m. discovered Zurick in the basement of his Luke Street home, where he was pronounced dead at 9:10, according to the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office.

Zurick used his personal semi-automatic pistol, Union County Police Chief Daniel Vaniska said.

Zurick, who had not been charged in the inmates' Hollywood-style jailbreak, was due to be interviewed by police today about the escape, his lawyer said.

"He was very depressed and distraught over all the media attention," said Kenneth Burkert, a delegate for PBA Local 199, which represents officers at the jail. "He just couldn't believe what happened. He was a perfectionist."

Inmates Jose Espinosa and Otis Blunt, who remain at large, secretly chiseled holes in the cinder-block walls of their cells and hid their progress behind racy magazine photos before making a spectacular 25-foot leap to freedom Dec. 15

Otis Blunt, left, 32, of Toms River and Jose Espinosa, 20, of Elizabeth.

They left the note before departing, taunting Zurick and the other jailers with a hand-drawn smiley face and a hand with an upraised middle finger.

"Thank You Officer (Zurick) for the tools needed. You're a real Pal! Happy Holidays," one of them wrote. "Smile."

Zurick reported for work at 4 p.m. and discovered the two inmates were missing.

Espinosa, a member of the Bloods street gang, was to be sentenced this month for his role in a deadly 2005 drive-by shooting. Blunt was awaiting trial in the shooting of a Hillside convenience store manager.

Zurick leaves behind a wife and 4-year-old daughter and had worked as a corrections officer for 14 years, Burkert said. Vaniska said he was unsure whether anyone else was home at the time Zurick shot himself.

The escape sparked a sweeping shakeup at the jail, leading to the reassignment of the director and the firing of his top deputy.

Zurick today was supposed to go to Union County Police headquarters, where he was expected to detail what happened the day of the escape, said his lawyer, Michael Mitzner of Watchung.

The interview, Zurick's first with investigators, was purely related to possible administrative charges, ranging from suspension to termination, Vaniska said.

"We don't know what to think. It's strange. Just bizarre," said Vaniska, who did not know Zurick personally. "You wonder why people do things like this. It's very sad."

Mitzner stressed that Zurick did nothing wrong.

"For 14 years he had an unblemished record," Mitzner said. "It's just a shame. Obviously you are unhappy when you have an escape occur and your name gets mentioned. It's hard to figure what goes through one's mind."

Burkert called Zurick a "dedicated family man."

"I am totally devastated, " he said.
Apparently, a bullet.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
Apparently, a bullet.
sad situation, but it reminds me of my favorite line from Shawshank....

Red: I'd like to think that the last thing that went through his head, other than that bullet, was to wonder how the hell Andy Dufresne ever got the best of him.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
There are two kinds of prison guards. One type goes in to collect a paycheck and doesn't give the guys a hard time. The other type is a ballbuster who harasses people and is too stupid to be a real cop. This guy was apparently the latter if he killed himself over something that happened at work. I have no sympathy for anyone so weak they would kill themselves over work. Good riddance.

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
There are two kinds of prison guards. One type goes in to collect a paycheck and doesn't give the guys a hard time. The other type is a ballbuster who harasses people and is too stupid to be a real cop. This guy was apparently the latter if he killed himself over something that happened at work. I have no sympathy for anyone so weak they would kill themselves over work. Good riddance.
Agreed, sir.

He killed himself over his own incompetence.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
Certain silly fucks in this thread don't have a fucking clue.

Sprite

permanent case of the Moooondays
Apr 27, 2005
Jersey
Disallow inmates to hang things on walls. Problem solved.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Escaped inmate reaches out to Rev. Sharpton

U
P
D
A
T
E

Escaped inmate reaches out to Rev. Sharpton

Sunday January 06, 2008, 10:47 PM

Three weeks after a pair of inmates made a brazen escape from the Union County Jail, one of them is poised to turn himself in to authorities through the Rev. Al Sharpton, officials said tonight.

Otis Blunt, who broke out of the lockup in Elizabeth with Jose Espinosa on Dec. 15, has been in contact with people who asked Sharpton to "facilitate his safe surrender," the civil rights leader said in a statement.

"Through my attorneys, I strongly urged him to surrender and I will play any role that I can in facilitating his surrender and assuring his safety upon his surrender," Sharpton's statement said. "Our only purpose is to facilitate his safe surrender and that he be able to deal with whatever legal matters he must face once back in custody."

A Sharpton spokeswoman declined to elaborate tonight on when and why the inmate had reached out to the civil rights leader, or when the surrender would take place. The spokeswoman, Rachel Noerdlinger, also would not comment on whether Sharpton knows Blunt's location. Sharpton has reached out to law enforcement, the statement said.

"There's a lot at stake," Noerdlinger said. "For safety, and because of the sensitivity of this, we can't divulge more."

The announcement came a day after Blunt and Espinosa's Hollywood-style break made it to the small screen, when the two fugitives were featured on "America's Most Wanted" Saturday night.

The show resulted in tips for investigators, Union County Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow said earlier today.

"We're pretty optimistic; the show has resulted in 971 arrests," said Romankow, who appeared in the FOX television show that aired Saturday. "We're hoping Blunt and Espinosa are 972 and 973."

Romankow could not be reached for comment on Sharpton's statement tonight. Earlier today, he said investigators believe Blunt and Espinosa are still in New Jersey, adding there have been sightings of Blunt in Essex and Hudson counties.

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
As long as they return to jail without hurting anybody beforehand, all is well.