New Jersey Man Pays Fine, apologizes for using 'N Word'

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Thursday, November 1, 2007

PATERSON -- The State of New Jersey v. Ewon Garnett, criminal complaint number 002350, is either a watershed case for racial harmony in Paterson or a legal proceeding subverted by city politics and political correctness.

Garnett is a black man who was charged in March with disorderly conduct because he used the "N word" during a heated exchange with Paterson police involving a child custody case. The incident occurred one month after the City Council approved a symbolic resolution to stop people from using that word.

On Wednesday afternoon, Garnett went before Municipal Judge Philip Fenster, after almost an hour of backroom negotiations between city Prosecutor Robert Brigliadoro and Garnett's attorney, Noah Burstein. Sitting in the courtroom gallery was 1st Ward Councilman Anthony Davis, who introduced the "N word" resolution during Black History Month in February.

Legally, the "N word" resolution carries no weight in any courtroom, but Brigliadoro referenced its passage in his remarks to the judge, saying it is one the council "feels very strongly about."

In the end, Garnett agreed to a plea deal in which he would apologize to the community and pay a $100 fine. The original charge could have resulted in jail time and up to a $1,000 fine.

"I would like to apologize to the community at large for using that kind of language," Garnett said in front of Fenster and an empty courtroom. "I'm not the kind of man who uses that language, but I feel as if I was pushed in a corner."

On March 18, Paterson police Officer Jaime Mejia was dispatched to Garnett's mother's house on East 42nd Street for a dispute over a child custody case between Garnett and his ex-wife. Mejia resolved the issue and left, but was then told to return by dispatch, according to the police report.

When Mejia returned, he came with two other officers and was confronted by an angry Garnett, who had to be restrained by a neighbor, according to Mejia's report. At one point Garnett yelled: "I'm not one of those ******* that wears their pants down."

After court on Wednesday, Garnett admitted to saying that, but said he did so only because Mejia questioned his manhood and his ability to raise his children. Garnett added that Mejia used the term "you folks," which Garnett found offensive.

Mejia declined to comment Thursday, citing department policy that prevents officers from speaking to the media.

Burstein, Garnett's attorney, said his client never called anyone else that name when he was caught in a highly emotional state. Burstein disagreed with the resolution adopted by the council but said this case involved his client's confronting a police officer and causing a scene.

"I think with all due respect to the City Council, it's a matter of stretching political correctness beyond the proper boundary," Burstein said.

Mejia, dressed in his uniform, had added an accessory Wednesday. On his black clip-on tie, Mejia wore a pin with the letter "N" crossed out, the same pin Davis wore on his suit lapel.

Davis left the court before the disposition and the apology to the community but commented on the case Wednesday evening.

"I really hope there was something learned during this process," Davis said.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
We're doomed..

P.S.

I hate MJ's "Don't show up on WB professional" font colors.

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
"I really hope there was something learned during this process," Davis said.
I learned that ******s can't say ****** either.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
He should have taken this to the Supreme Court.

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
Jul 27, 2006
jersey
He should have taken this to the Supreme Court.
It wouldnt have made it that far. NJ State court would have shot down this podunk towns decision.

But hes probably just a guy not looking to fight the whole god dammed world and just wanted to move on with his life.

Oh my fucking god...

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
So now it's not only unacceptable to call another person a ****** but you can't even refer to yourself as one?

Good grief, this country has jumped on the express handbasket to hell!

And BCH is right, MJ - your choice of colors don't show up well on WB professional. Some actually hurt my old eyes ;)

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
How may cops were killed in Philly lately?

How many kids in Newark, NJ?

Maybe we shouldn't be so worried about the deer & the bears. Eat the fucking meek.

CringeRadioWanted

I got nothin'....
Aug 23, 2003
fucking A...there are cops with goddamn targets on their backs, a war that won't ever end, and some damned backwards town is prosecuting people for a fucking word.

someone, get me a sledgehammer...a 4-pounder will do...i'm just swinging it at my own skull...

Sprite

permanent case of the Moooondays
Apr 27, 2005
Jersey
P.S.

I'm actualy going to kick the shit out of him the next time I see him for that reason. After I get done with him he will never again post in alternate fonts. ;)

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
I'm actualy going to kick the shit out of him the next time I see him for that reason. After I get done with him he will never again post in alternate fonts. ;)
:fu:

:action-sm

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
"I think with all due respect to the City Council, it's a matter of stretching political correctness beyond the proper boundary," Burstein said.
Some one gets it. Yes, he's the attorney for the defense, but at least there's some one out there saying it other than O&A.

I hate it too. Maybe that's what Ben was doing all those years...highlight, read....highlight, read. :action-sm

Maybe we shouldn't be so worried about the deer & the bears. Eat the fucking meek.
Sounds like a plan. Do I need a hunting license to kill the meek?

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Sounds like a plan. Do I need a hunting license to kill the meek?
Of course ya do, silly goose. This is New Jersey!

Actually, that was one of those posts that when I read it now I ask what the hell I was talking about. Deer & bears?? "whaa" (Rum & Nyquil baby!)

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
HMMMM...locking up black people for using the N word? The jails are gonna be PACKED. The system is gonna be overloaded...