New laptop/windows 7 pro doesn't have drivers?

ProflyerXM

Not an attention seeker
Sep 16, 2005
Idaho
I just bought a new laptop this morning. I got it home, started it up, got it to the desktop with the default setup and everything worked fine. I then went to do a clean install of my MSDNAA version of windows 7 Pro with sp 1. I booted up the system up after a clean install and it had limited to no support for graphics, ethernet, everything. It just didn't seem to have any compatible drivers available off the disk at all.

I assume this is a byproduct of the fact that my system is new technology made after sp1 was released?

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Yeah, too bad you didn't download the latest drivers for the machine before you installed another version of windows on it.

They don't have an Drivers CD included with the laptop?

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Track down the ethernet driver on another comp and install that, then if possible, go to the vendor's site and most tend to have a scanning utility that will let you know what drivers you need and the option to dl them.
Also, check for torrents of windows 7 drivers

ProflyerXM

Not an attention seeker
Sep 16, 2005
Idaho
I gave up, I'm taking it back. I got a clean install back again but this fucking blows having to track down drivers and shit. I'll wait til windows catches up with the times.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I gave up, I'm taking it back. I got a clean install back again but this fucking blows having to track down drivers and shit. I'll wait til windows catches up with the times.
How hard is it to find drivers from the manufacturer?

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Really, a thumb drive and 15 minutes on a friends computer.
So he is saying that someone created a laptop with drivers that never were made? It's not Microsoft's job to store every driver created is it?

ProflyerXM

Not an attention seeker
Sep 16, 2005
Idaho
It's a piss off that every other computer I've ever owned can take a clean install of windows and this one can't. I don't want to have to fuck with drivers EVERY time I reinstall windows which I do once a year.

It's even easier than you guys are saying, I don't even need a thumb drive, they have a partition on the hard drive that has all the drivers on it.

The only reason I use windows is because it works out of the box. I have Linux for complicating my life with driver issues and dependencies, I don't need to do that with windows too. I know that in 6 months Microsoft is going to catch up with the new technology in these systems and then everything's gonna be hunky-dory.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
It just seems like a trivial thing since it's something many of us expect to do on any full install of windows, especially if the NIC driver isnt' found on the disk.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I've always had to find a missing driver for something. I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on a laptop that only had support for XP. With no official drivers, I still found drivers for every piece of hardware on it from somewhere that worked. It took an hour.

ProflyerXM

Not an attention seeker
Sep 16, 2005
Idaho
Hell, give me the model and I'll email you links.
I appreciate that, but the drivers were on a separate hard drive partition on the system. More than anything I didn't want to take the time to reinstall all my shit during the semester. I have my system set up just the way I like it. I'll take another look when we get deals closer to Christmas.

I appreciate the help though.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Guys like you make my job as IT support intolerable.
You think you know what you're doing when you edit the registry, then come crying to me when your Dell laptop that you bought at Best Buy won't boot.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Who uses MS drivers for any longer than necessary? They're just stopgaps until you can get to each manufacturer's site and get the real drivers.

ProflyerXM

Not an attention seeker
Sep 16, 2005
Idaho
Guys like you make my job as IT support intolerable.
You think you know what you're doing when you edit the registry, then come crying to me when your Dell laptop that you bought at Best Buy won't boot.
When did I say I was changing the registry? I know what to tweak, when to tweak it and what to leave stuff alone.

This thread is enraging.
I still don't get why your panties are in such a twist. I was pleasant and you just want to be a cunt.

Who uses MS drivers for any longer than necessary? They're just stopgaps until you can get to each manufacturer's site and get the real drivers.
Yeah sure when I have discrete sound and video. For OEM manufacturers Microsoft has a catalog of drivers for different devices; assuming you can get on the internet.

This is the type of whinging that gives techies a bad name. I was asking if this was an issue anyone had experience with. When I found the solution, I decided I would rather just stay with the system I have. What's the problem?

I don't care what you guys say though, basic driver support is an issue that SHOULD be handled by Microsoft. If MS expects people to pay for their OS, they should offer limited support for ALL devices on the market at the very least. I didn't check, but I'm not sure I even had USB or DVD/CD support. If the drivers hadn't already been on a separate partition, what am I supposed to do then? I have no internet, no USB, no cd support, no nothing. Of course, I could make and format a new partition, download the drivers on the pre-installed system, move them over to the partition, reinstall windows, then re-install all the drivers from the new partition. Just because I am capable of doing that, try getting the average PC user to do that.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Yes, so was I when you mentioned you said you had a problem and everyone offered assistance after you posted in the Tech Support Forum. We never realized you didn't actually want any help and wanted to be a pussy about it and wait for the mountain to move itself instead of building a tunnel right through it. Stop acting like you knew what the fuck you were doing either? You had a working computer before you decided to go all Einstein and install a different version of Windows. Did you think of checking Google to see if anyone else ran into any issues with a similar situation? Did you think to check with the manufacturer for updated drivers anyway before the upgrade? That's something you should always do.

Also, Bluestreak was using an analogy. Dope.

ProflyerXM

Not an attention seeker
Sep 16, 2005
Idaho
Yes, so was I when you mentioned you said you had a problem and everyone offered assistance after you posted in the Tech Support Forum. We never realized you didn't actually want any help and wanted to be a pussy about it and wait for the mountain to move itself instead of building a tunnel right through it. Stop acting like you knew what the fuck you were doing either? You had a working computer before you decided to go all Einstein and install a different version of Windows. Did you think of checking Google to see if anyone else ran into any issues with a similar situation? Did you think to check with the manufacturer for updated drivers anyway before the upgrade? That's something you should always do.

Also, Bluestreak was using an analogy. Dope.
You're right. I appreciate the solution you offered.

Generally, when I'm faced with burrowing through the mountain or going around it I generally go for the path of least resistance. I am just as capable as anyone else of brute forcing a solution, which is why I came here, to see if any of you were able to offer something more elegant. When I saw that it would be more of a hassle than I wanted to deal with I decided to wait until later. I wouldn't exactly say that trying to install a different version of the same operating system is rocket science. Once I realized there was an issue, the first thing I did was check google. I did not see any sort of indication that this would be an issue at all. Most likely because the average sheep using PCs don't care enough to know the difference between versions. The manufacturer driver website is a clusterfuck. For my model, they have 15 different choices for network interfaces, it was a mess.

I realize that bluestreak was using an analogy, but it's throwing pointless fuel on a fire. It seemed to me that he was trying to say I know nothing about using computers and that I go poking around the farthest depths of the system thinking I know what I'm doing. When I need to do something special I only do it when I know I need to.

I do appreciate your help and I'll take your thoughts into consideration next time before I start posting questions on here. No hard feelings, 'kay?

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
There's also tons of freeware on the internet that will take your current system drivers, back them up, and then you can wipe and reinstall your OS. Backing up from where you installed the driver files is pretty simple then and you know they're current.

Being that there's probably millions of different drivers available, and thousands more added every month, it would be stupid for MS to try and keep up with that and put it on their install disks that might sit on some shelf for a year. Not to mention the size of some file like that to try and squeeze on a DVD or incorporate into a download.

Also, probably create more problems than it solves when similar drivers get installed in error and people don't know any better.