New Orleans goes old school in their extortion

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/03/effort_to_keep_crescent_city_c.html

The gist is it costs $60,000/year to keep the lights on on the Crescent City Connection. They collect roughly $20,000,000 a year in tolls. A judge threw out the toll extension effective last week due to a mistake in the voting process. So this week the CCCD announced that they're shutting the lights off. Various civic groups have offered to pay the bill if they're unwilling to fund it off of the profits they've made so far this year.

They're refusing.

Unless the tolls are renewed they will not allow the lights to be turned back on on the bridge.

Just when you think New Orleans has a future that's somewhat free of corruption they pull this blatant stunt.

Turfmower

Jan 17, 2005
Jersey
Dont cars have headlights i rather have no lights than pay more tolls

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Misleading OP is misleading. It's decorative lighting. The bridge won't go dark without it. It still has regular lights.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Misleading OP is misleading. It's decorative lighting. The bridge won't go dark without it. It still has regular lights.
What difference does it make? I never phrased it as a safety issue. It's one group demanding they get 20 million to do 60 thousand dollars worth of stuff.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
What difference does it make? I never phrased it as a safety issue. It's one group demanding they get 20 million to do 60 thousand dollars worth of stuff.
Exactly. It's nothing more than political grandstanding.
Kinda like closing the White House to tours. Just being babies.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
The difference is the bridge has all the lighting it needs for safety without this extra ornamental crap. Are you saying that a city that's still struggling to get its shit together after Katrina should seriously be concerned with something this trivial? Maybe if they weren't draining the power grid with 4 miles of unnecessary Christmas tree lights, the fucking Super Bowl wouldn't have gone dark.

I thought we were supposed to be all for less waste in government. So what that the Council has scraped together enough money to keep the lights on for a few months while a few high-profile festivals and whatnot take place? The city has been paying that bill for a quarter-century. What happens when the big events are over and there's not so much passion for the lights?

Fuck 'em. The darkies don't need light.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
The difference is the bridge has all the lighting it needs for safety without this extra ornamental crap. Are you saying that a city that's still struggling to get its shit together after Katrina should seriously be concerned with something this trivial? Maybe if they weren't draining the power grid with 4 miles of unnecessary Christmas tree lights, the fucking Super Bowl wouldn't have gone dark.

I thought we were supposed to be all for less waste in government. So what that the Council has scraped together enough money to keep the lights on for a few months while a few high-profile festivals and whatnot take place? The city has been paying that bill for a quarter-century. What happens when the big events are over and there's not so much passion for the lights?

Fuck 'em. The darkies don't need light.
You didn't read the article did you? First, this has nothing to do with the Super Bowl. The city council didn't scrape together any money. Various civic groups did. If anything the city politicians don't want the lights unless they renew the tolls. The city NEVER paid those bills. The tolls paid for those lights. And the tolls were grifted to various New Orleans politicians to the tune of millions of dollars.

What's happening is the politicians are demanding they get paid their graft or else the lights stay off.