New PC or Xbox 360?

Xbox 360 or upgrade my PC?

• Total voters

not_you_too

May 5, 2004
Philly
I'm a mac guy, but I've kept my PC around to play some games on. Mostly FPS's. It's a P4 HT 3.0ghz with a decent video card, but it's starting to get too slow for me on the new games.

The money is not an issue. Should I spend the $800 it takes to upgrade my new PC with a better processor and video card, or should I spend the $500ish it will take to buy a decent xbox 360 setup?

Why one over the other?

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
Xbox is nice because it will last 4-5 more years probably without having to spend another dime on hardware.

But PCs can do a lot more than games and the game on PC run in resolutions way better than xbox could (if you spend enough money on one.)

If you don't want to play FPS or RTS, get xbox I guess. Just my preference.

Stalker2

Jun 7, 2001
TRueWDTer
Consoles are useless for FPS games,although it might cost you a bit more for the upgrade with games like Crysis coming out soon unless you are satisfied with shitty framerates and no eye candy.

Ant's_rapier

Finger of God
Jan 19, 2006
Dallas,TX
Since I switched from console to PC I haven't even touched my PS2 or even considered going next gen. Even though Xbox, PS3 and Wii are online PC has a bigger user base.

Ant's_rapier

Finger of God
Jan 19, 2006
Dallas,TX
PC breaks- fix it yourself or get it fixed somewhere local

Xbox breaks- ship it to MS and wait with your dick in your hand until they send you a refurb.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
I own a 360, but I say if you have the means, upgrade your PC.

The reason I say this is because you said you play mostly FPS's, and I think FPS games are much better played on the PC.

I'll be getting a new PC next year before Spore comes out.

Stalker2

Jun 7, 2001
TRueWDTer
Just think fbg,Crysis w/DirectX 10 support,new graphics cards coming out in Nov.,and Call of Duty 4 on PC.Do the right thing and upgrade the PC.

Ant's_rapier

Finger of God
Jan 19, 2006
Dallas,TX
I own a 360, but I say if you have the means, upgrade your PC.

The reason I say this is because you said you play mostly FPS's, and I think FPS games are much better played on the PC.

I'll be getting a new PC next year before Spore comes out.
Pestgaming misses you.

Ant's_rapier

Finger of God
Jan 19, 2006
Dallas,TX
What are you fellas playing nowadays? Might join a game if I have what you're playing.
You name it and its being played. Weekly battles are usually set up for 2142, DOD and CS. Team Fortress and Crysis will be big soon too. Also we have the Pest Hockey Leauge with weekly NHL 08 games.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
FUCK BUYING THAT NUCLEAR POS THAT MS CALLS THE XBOX 360. IT IS NOTHING MORE THAN A CASH GRAB BY MS, YOU THINK VISTA SUCKS, THE 360 IS THE FUCKING WORST BUILT CONSOLE TO DATE.

My first 360 died, it took 5 weeks to get the new one from MS, but from the time I unpacked that one it scratched discs, I called MS last week and they are sending me another box, so it'll be sometime in November before I'll be playing it.

If you want to do anything, upgrade your PC or get a PS3/Wii, far better choice on your part.

not_you_too

May 5, 2004
Philly
So, pc seems to win over 360... but seriously, why would I want to play on my dual 19" LCD's when I've got a 56" HDTV in my media room, with full surround sound, that I can hook a 360 to?

Aero 1

Mar 18, 2005
Clifton, NJ
FUCK BUYING THAT NUCLEAR POS THAT MS CALLS THE XBOX 360. IT IS NOTHING MORE THAN A CASH GRAB BY MS, YOU THINK VISTA SUCKS, THE 360 IS THE FUCKING WORST BUILT CONSOLE TO DATE.

My first 360 died, it took 5 weeks to get the new one from MS, but from the time I unpacked that one it scratched discs, I called MS last week and they are sending me another box, so it'll be sometime in November before I'll be playing it.

If you want to do anything, upgrade your PC or get a PS3/Wii, far better choice on your part.

Stalker2

Jun 7, 2001
TRueWDTer
So, pc seems to win over 360... but seriously, why would I want to play on my dual 19" LCD's when I've got a 56" HDTV in my media room, with full surround sound, that I can hook a 360 to?
I connected my PC to my projector before with a DVI to HDMI connector,86" 16X9 screen.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
One of my computers is connected to the DVI connector on my LCD tv, acts as a DVR and broadcast HDTV tuner.

BigWilly

Just thoughts, no prayers.
Dec 11, 2004
Lakewood, CO
Definitely upgrade PC, much better investment. Just max out your video card, get HDMI out and plug into TV. Even better get a media center case and set it with your other components. Get bluetooth keyboard and mouse and you're set. That's the way to play, that's what I say!

May 27, 2005
Marlton, NJ
It's all about achievements. Once you get started, it's like heroin. I can't go a weekend without a little gamerscore boost. Steam even started doing it.

There's also the issue of playing in a comfortable area with surround sound and a big screeen HDTV.

You get used to using a controller for FPS games, and you know everyone you're playing with has the same hardware.

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama
I never cared for PC gaming myself so my vote would be to grab a 360 setup, but unless you are going to load it with media, just grab the 20 gb one. My buddy said he bought a couple movies off Live the other day and downloaded them. A few weeks later he tried to watch them and they were crippled. Apparently, you just rent them.