OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

New Porsche 918 Hybrid: 770 HP, 78 MPG

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Party Rooster, May 17, 2012.

1. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Fucking Germans!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 Sailing into the Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

If it comes from across the Atlantic it'll be shit in no time.

Over engineered Euro-crap always breaks down.

3. Jon the Cop

Jon the Cop Registered User

I'll buy American. All goes according to plan, this will be mine within a year.
    Site

[​IMG]

4. starfsckers inc

starfsckers inc Ambitious, but rubbish.

Gobs of power and very high fuel economy...it'll be interesting to see if this type of powertrain can develop over time and eventually make its way down for the common folk to purchase.

And it'll also be interesting to see if this Porsche engine will sound like it can blow apart at every touch of the throttle.

5. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Are they going to build it in the old Boxter plant that Fisker bought with our tax dollars instead of using the old Wilmington GM plant like they promised?

6. samurai

samurai Ridiculum Anserini

[​IMG]

I can't wait for Top Gear to verbally beat the shit out of it for being the umpteenth Mustang that can't corner for shit...except Hammond, of course.

7. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

Funny, They say that about Porsche in Britain too..at least from what I've seen on hundreds of hours of Top Gear.

8. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

The 911 is one of the most dependable cars in history. Unfortunately everything else they build is shit.

9. lajikal

lajikal Registered User

Their cars fast as shit but always sound like on the verge of falling apart at idle. The gt3 is my car of choice if i ever get called to partake in a bank robbery/car chase.

10. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Can't wait to hear Jezza's comments on this. I will say the car looks phenomenal.

EDIT: Funny how Samurai wants to hear them talk about the Mustang and I want to hear them talk about the Porsche. Ironically, Hamster will probably be the only one who likes both these cars (Slow may appreciate the tech in the Porsche).

11. samurai

samurai Ridiculum Anserini

It will be snide, yet funny. On second thought, he might just like the retro look...but I doubt it.

Slow liked the tech aspect of the Fisker, and I see him appreciating the tech in the Porsche. Hamster will like the Shelby to a point, like he did with the Challenger, but unless the SVT people have completely revamped the handling characteristics (other than the shocks :icon_roll), he'll correctly shit on it.

12. Palaver

Palaver But Enough Of This

You really believe that? In my experience my German cars have been much more reliable and hassle free than my domestics.

13. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered User

The thing still has a live rear axle. If all you want to do is straight line runs then great but anything else and it's a pain.

That 918 is sex though. The sound that the prototype made was like an angry cammed V8 with straight pipes. I think this is how hybrids should be done so I dig it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

14. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

This isn't some giant innovation, in terms of concept. While I'm sure it's amazingly engineered and built, the basic concept is pretty transparent: they have a giant engine that provides the great performance, and they have the weak battery powered mode of running it, that provides the fuel economy.

Add some gullible journalists, and it turns into a car that has great performance and fuel economy at the same time. But there is no way this car uses any less fuel than any other car with a V8 engine, when used to its full performance.

15. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

Excellent CQ impression there.

16. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 Sailing into the Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

I wrote it, I believe it and over 30 years in the auto repair
    business is my reason. Euro trash is great to lease and dump.
    They don't age well and are expensive as hell to repair.

17. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

not really... the new mustangs handle VERY well. Had one around Laguna Seca recently. VERY competent track car, even given that I was driving a showroom stock model on street tires. Turn in was crisp, not a huge tendency to oversteer and when you did get a little frisky with the throttle on turn exits it was predictable and easily manageable.

18. VMS

VMS Victim of high standards and low personal skills.

I agree.

European cars are like the original M-16s. Brilliant piece of engineering and excellent capability, but required a LOT of regular maintenance. I prefer a nice AK as my car. Drop it in the mud for 2 years, shake it out, kick the cocking lever loose, and rock n' roll.

I don't need a garage queen as a car. I need sometbhing that will be ready to go at a moment's notice.

19. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

With a large trunk to dispose those dead hookers, right?

20. Party Rooster

200 of its 770 HP come from electric motors. I'd say it's a pretty big deal when a fourth of its power comes from hybrid part of it. You're talking out your ass as usual.

21. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

That's nothing new. The Lexus hybrids have done the same thing for ages. Use the electric motors in addition to instead of as replacement for the gasoline motors. That 78 mpg also sounds like Imperial mileage, which comes to about 62 mpg US. Still impressive, but not for $845k.

22. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered User

Really? How the fuck did Ford engineers manage that?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

23. Party Rooster

Actually, I think it was 90 something imperial, I would assume the WSJ knows how to do those conversions. I think the point is retaining all that MPG capability with the high performance. You're lucky to get 40 MPG with a Lexus hybrid. I realize you're not getting that kind of mileage when it's full throttle, but a consumer car doesn't run at full throttle for the majority of its running time. When some of this technology trickles down it'll make other cars more efficient too.

24. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

So it's just like the Lexus system with bigger parts. It's a great piece of engineering if it really gets anywhere near that 78 mpg figure. But it's also not something any of us will ever see in person.

25. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

Dunno :D.. but its REALLY a pretty damn good car. The base GT Mustang is ~$31k and is a hell of a deal in the bang for buck dept. The Boss ups the HP. Once you get into the higher HP versions (Rousch and such) the character changes. I prefer the lower HP lower price versions. Its really hard to say that, but the high HP versions overpower the chasis a little and do kinda make it a straight line machine. They still handle well, but its just too much power to be usable as a road race car.