Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Fucking Germans!

May 17, 2012, 11:00 AM

Porsche 918 Supercar: Fine-Tuning a 770-Horsepower Hybrid

By Jonathan Welsh

This Porsche 918 Spyder prototype’s paint scheme is a throwback to the company’s famous 917 racing cars of 1970.

Sports-car maker Porsche AG said prototypes of its coming 918 Spyder are on the road. The company is testing the high-performance plug-in-hybrids in part to make sure the electric and gasoline-powered components of their drive trains operate efficiently together.

As it turns out, getting a V8 engine and a pair of electric motors to work together while generating more than 770 horsepower is a challenge. Porsche said it has put “all of our expertise and capacity for innovation.”

The 918 begins with a mid-engine layout that has been a tradition for high-performance sports and racing cars for decades. But it adds electric motors – one driving the front wheels and the other embedded in the drive line and boosting power to the rear wheels.

While the drive system produces staggering power, it is also meant to deliver fuel economy as good as three liters of fuel per 100 kilometers of driving. This translates to 78 miles per gallon, which if true would be more impressive than high horsepower numbers. The car is also expected to accelerate to 60 mph in about three seconds and have a top speed of 200 mph.

The 918 Spyder is planned for production at the end of September 2013, with the first customer deliveries currently scheduled for the United States late in 2013. Expected sticker price: $845,000.

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2...a-770-horsepower-hybrid/?mod=google_news_blog

Jon the Cop

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
I'll buy American. All goes according to plan, this will be mine within a year.
2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500

Ford ladles out another helping of 100 horsepower and creates its beastliest Mustang ever.

NOVEMBER 2011 BY JON YANCA MULTIPLE PHOTOGRAPHERS

Occupy Horsepower seems to be the sentiment at Ford these days as the Blue Oval seeks elite output for everyman. Earlier this year, we told you the next GT500 was going to produce north of 600 hp, but even we weren’t prepared for the 650 hp and 600 lb-ft of torque announced as the car debuts at the Los Angeles auto show. Is that “God Bless America” we hear?

Engine Overhaul

While punching out the 5.4-liter aluminum-block V-8 out to 5.8 liters, the GT500’s powertrain crew also updated the heads for better cooling, changed the camshaft profiles, added piston squirters and higher-flow fuel injectors, swapped the old supercharger for a larger and more efficient TVS unit that ups boost from 9 to 15 psi, and fitted a larger intercooler. The result is an extra 100 hp and 90 lb-ft compared to the 2012 model. The cooling system was upgraded to dissipate the excess heat, and a carbon-fiber driveshaft, upgraded clutch, strengthened transmission (with revised gearing), and sturdier rear axle were deemed necessary to cope with the extra grunt. To help the driver cope, the GT500 is equipped with an adjustable launch-control function.

Despite the GT500’s barbaric output, Ford has come a long way from the muscle cars of yesteryear, wherein engineers fitted a bigger, more powerful engine and called it good. A new front fascia is home to the same revised headlights as the other ’13 Mustangs, and there’s a new front splitter. That last bit is important, as Ford says the new GT500’s top speed is in excess of 200 (!) mph. Chew on that, Camaro ZL1. Heck; chew on that, Corvette Z06, with your piddling 198 mph. Overall, Ford says the 2013 GT500 has 33 percent more downforce at 160 mph than its predecessor. With a factory Mustang joining the 200-mph club, drivers will appreciate standard Brembo brakes with six-piston calipers in the front and larger rotors and new pads at all four corners.

For Corners, Too

With 650 hp, no bend in the road will be far away. To address those curves, the new GT500 gets optional electronically-adjustable Bilstein shocks. Part of the Performance package—which also includes a Torsen limited-slip diff and Recaro seats—the Bilstein dampers offer drivers a choice of Normal and Sport modes. If you intend to unleash your Shelby on a closed course, you might want to opt for the Track package, too. It adds supplementary coolers for the engine oil, differential, and transmission.

The GT500 receives the same exterior revisions as the rest of the 2013 Mustangs and the Boss 302. Those updates include the aforementioned headlights, new LED taillights set in a blacked-out tail panel, and body-colored rocker extensions. A quad-tipped dual-exhaust system and two new forged-wheel designs are unique to the Shelby GT500.

While we have no official word yet on pricing, we’re expecting a hearty bump from the GT500’s current base of $49,605. Considering how much more grunt it has than the 580-hp Chevrolet Camaro ZL1—not to mention its 12-horse edge on the $113K Corvette ZR1—even $60,000 for the new GT500 would be one helluva bargain. View Photo Gallery
Site

starfsckers inc

Ambitious, but rubbish.
Dec 2, 2009
Pennsyltucky
Gobs of power and very high fuel economy...it'll be interesting to see if this type of powertrain can develop over time and eventually make its way down for the common folk to purchase.

And it'll also be interesting to see if this Porsche engine will sound like it can blow apart at every touch of the throttle.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Are they going to build it in the old Boxter plant that Fisker bought with our tax dollars instead of using the old Wilmington GM plant like they promised?

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago

I can't wait for Top Gear to verbally beat the shit out of it for being the umpteenth Mustang that can't corner for shit...except Hammond, of course.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
If it comes from across the Atlantic it'll be shit in no time.

Over engineered Euro-crap always breaks down.
Funny, They say that about Porsche in Britain too..at least from what I've seen on hundreds of hours of Top Gear.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
The 911 is one of the most dependable cars in history. Unfortunately everything else they build is shit.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
The 911 is one of the most dependable cars in history. Unfortunately everything else they build is shit.
Their cars fast as shit but always sound like on the verge of falling apart at idle. The gt3 is my car of choice if i ever get called to partake in a bank robbery/car chase.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Can't wait to hear Jezza's comments on this. I will say the car looks phenomenal.

EDIT: Funny how Samurai wants to hear them talk about the Mustang and I want to hear them talk about the Porsche. Ironically, Hamster will probably be the only one who likes both these cars (Slow may appreciate the tech in the Porsche).

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
Can't wait to hear Jezza's comments on this.
It will be snide, yet funny. On second thought, he might just like the retro look...but I doubt it.

Funny how Samurai wants to hear them talk about the Mustang and I want to hear them talk about the Porsche. Ironically, Hamster will probably be the only one who likes both these cars (Slow may appreciate the tech in the Porsche).
Slow liked the tech aspect of the Fisker, and I see him appreciating the tech in the Porsche. Hamster will like the Shelby to a point, like he did with the Challenger, but unless the SVT people have completely revamped the handling characteristics (other than the shocks :icon_roll), he'll correctly shit on it.

Palaver

But Enough Of This
Jul 24, 2005
If it comes from across the Atlantic it'll be shit in no time.

Over engineered Euro-crap always breaks down.
You really believe that? In my experience my German cars have been much more reliable and hassle free than my domestics.

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008

I can't wait for Top Gear to verbally beat the shit out of it for being the umpteenth Mustang that can't corner for shit...except Hammond, of course.
The thing still has a live rear axle. If all you want to do is straight line runs then great but anything else and it's a pain.

That 918 is sex though. The sound that the prototype made was like an angry cammed V8 with straight pipes. I think this is how hybrids should be done so I dig it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
This isn't some giant innovation, in terms of concept. While I'm sure it's amazingly engineered and built, the basic concept is pretty transparent: they have a giant engine that provides the great performance, and they have the weak battery powered mode of running it, that provides the fuel economy.

Add some gullible journalists, and it turns into a car that has great performance and fuel economy at the same time. But there is no way this car uses any less fuel than any other car with a V8 engine, when used to its full performance.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
You really believe that? In my experience my German cars have been much more reliable and hassle free than my domestics.
I wrote it, I believe it and over 30 years in the auto repair
business is my reason. Euro trash is great to lease and dump.
They don't age well and are expensive as hell to repair.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
The thing still has a live rear axle. If all you want to do is straight line runs then great but anything else and it's a pain.
not really... the new mustangs handle VERY well. Had one around Laguna Seca recently. VERY competent track car, even given that I was driving a showroom stock model on street tires. Turn in was crisp, not a huge tendency to oversteer and when you did get a little frisky with the throttle on turn exits it was predictable and easily manageable.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
I wrote it, I believe it and over 30 years in the auto repair
business is my reason. Euro trash is great to lease and dump.
They don't age well and are expensive as hell to repair.
I agree.

European cars are like the original M-16s. Brilliant piece of engineering and excellent capability, but required a LOT of regular maintenance. I prefer a nice AK as my car. Drop it in the mud for 2 years, shake it out, kick the cocking lever loose, and rock n' roll.

I don't need a garage queen as a car. I need sometbhing that will be ready to go at a moment's notice.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
I agree.

European cars are like the original M-16s. Brilliant piece of engineering and excellent capability, but required a LOT of regular maintenance. I prefer a nice AK as my car. Drop it in the mud for 2 years, shake it out, kick the cocking lever loose, and rock n' roll.

I don't need a garage queen as a car. I need sometbhing that will be ready to go at a moment's notice.
With a large trunk to dispose those dead hookers, right?

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
This isn't some giant innovation, in terms of concept. While I'm sure it's amazingly engineered and built, the basic concept is pretty transparent: they have a giant engine that provides the great performance, and they have the weak battery powered mode of running it, that provides the fuel economy.

Add some gullible journalists, and it turns into a car that has great performance and fuel economy at the same time. But there is no way this car uses any less fuel than any other car with a V8 engine, when used to its full performance.
200 of its 770 HP come from electric motors. I'd say it's a pretty big deal when a fourth of its power comes from hybrid part of it. You're talking out your ass as usual.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
200 of its 770 HP come from electric motors.
That's nothing new. The Lexus hybrids have done the same thing for ages. Use the electric motors in addition to instead of as replacement for the gasoline motors. That 78 mpg also sounds like Imperial mileage, which comes to about 62 mpg US. Still impressive, but not for $845k.

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
not really... the new mustangs handle VERY well. Had one around Laguna Seca recently. VERY competent track car, even given that I was driving a showroom stock model on street tires. Turn in was crisp, not a huge tendency to oversteer and when you did get a little frisky with the throttle on turn exits it was predictable and easily manageable.
Really? How the fuck did Ford engineers manage that?

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
That's nothing new. The Lexus hybrids have done the same thing for ages. Use the electric motors in addition to instead of as replacement for the gasoline motors. That 78 mpg also sounds like Imperial mileage, which comes to about 62 mpg US. Still impressive, but not for $845k.
Actually, I think it was 90 something imperial, I would assume the WSJ knows how to do those conversions. I think the point is retaining all that MPG capability with the high performance. You're lucky to get 40 MPG with a Lexus hybrid. I realize you're not getting that kind of mileage when it's full throttle, but a consumer car doesn't run at full throttle for the majority of its running time. When some of this technology trickles down it'll make other cars more efficient too.

The 767 horses was a combination of a 563 bhp direct injection V8 engine and two 75 kW electric motors. The biggest difference to the normal battery-electric-hybrid system was the 36,000 rpm Williams Hybrid Power flywheel which sat next to the driver and accumulated energy harvested from braking.

This additional power was then delivered through the front wheel electric motors at the push of a button, giving the driver 150 kW of "on call" power boost for up to eight seconds duration.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Actually, I think it was 90 something imperial, I would assume the WSJ knows how to do those conversions. I think the point is retaining all that MPG capability with the high performance. You're lucky to get 40 MPG with a Lexus hybrid. I realize you're not getting that kind of mileage when it's full throttle, but a consumer car doesn't run at full throttle for the majority of its running time. When some of this technology trickles down it'll make other cars more efficient too.
So it's just like the Lexus system with bigger parts. It's a great piece of engineering if it really gets anywhere near that 78 mpg figure. But it's also not something any of us will ever see in person.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
Really? How the fuck did Ford engineers manage that?

Dunno :D.. but its REALLY a pretty damn good car. The base GT Mustang is ~$31k and is a hell of a deal in the bang for buck dept. The Boss ups the HP. Once you get into the higher HP versions (Rousch and such) the character changes. I prefer the lower HP lower price versions. Its really hard to say that, but the high HP versions overpower the chasis a little and do kinda make it a straight line machine. They still handle well, but its just too much power to be usable as a road race car.