New Price for the PS3???

JMCC

Oct 4, 2004
Is not confirmed by Sony, but if is true, it could be huge, $100 is a big difference....

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16721

Report: PS3 $499 on July 12

Although Sony has yet to confirm a price drop officially, GameDaily BIZ has received confirmation from the retail sector that the PS3 will be dropped to $499 next week. Sony itself recently talked about "refining" the PS3 price. Now it appears to be happening.

A PS3 price cut rumor spread like wildfire across the Internet this afternoon when several sites spotted a new advertisement from Circuit City. The ad as seen on <a href="http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/playstation-3-100-price-cut-hits-july-15-275391.php" target="_blank"">Kotaku lists the PS3 console at $499.99, $100 less than its current price.

It wasn't clear at first if this ad was a special deal specific to the electronics retailer or if it's indeed a retail-wide price cut instituted by Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA). As it turns out, a merchandising manager (who wished to remain anonymous) at one of the world's biggest retailers has confirmed to GameDaily BIZ that the price drop is indeed retail-wide and it's scheduled to take place on July 12, although the first wave of ads to promote the PS3's new price won't kick in until Sunday, July 15.

Many analysts have speculated that Sony would drop the price on the expensive console this year, and some even predicted that it could happen this summer. It's starting to look like they were right. We're sure to find out much more next week when Sony holds its press conference at E3.

SCEA when contacted for confirmation declined to comment.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
With the new Sony Blu-ray player selling at less than the PS3, the sales of the PS3 took a bigger hit than they expected. A lot of people were buying them just for that. Now they need to really start focusing on gamers though if they ever expect to get anywhere near the 360 in NA.

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
Still doubt I'll get one even after the price drop.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
if you have a 360 there is no point in having a PS3 right now. I have a PS3, it's cool, but I hardly touch it, the 360 has a superior game library, better online service, and is cheaper. The PS3 has Blu Ray, but I haven't even used mine for that yet. The $100 price drop won't do anything unless Sony starts putting out some games for it.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
it needs to drop another 50 or 100 before I will buy it...

I do want one, especially since its doubtful that MGS4 and FF13 will be multi console but as of right now its too expensive and they still cant compete with 360's online.

If I thought playing rainbow six vegas on the ps3 online was as much fun as it is on 360 then that would count for alot

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Okay now I'm confused.
Link
Sony Has "No Plans" For PS3 Price-Cut?

Uh, huh? They're having a laugh! Sony President Ryoji Chubachi, chatting with reporters today about all things PS3, has denied any kind of price-cut for the console is in the pipeline, telling Reuters:

At present we have no plans [to cut the PS3's price].

This is great! Just when everyone else was ruling one out, Chubachi was saying they were planning one. Now that one seems almost certain, he rules it out (note he doesn't say "no comment", he specifically rules it out)? Leaves us with one of two options. On the left, Sony are a complete shambles at the top, and nobody's told him to keep his yap shut for another week. On the right, Chubachi is a funny guy, and he's been messing with us all along, just for shits and giggles. I'd love to think it's the latter. But I suspect the former.
INTERVIEW-Sony has no plans to cut PS3 price [Reuters]

Chester'sLiver

ESD is Wackbag's hero!
Jan 28, 2005
New Jersey
I wouldn't doubt a price cut comes now since I just bought one....

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Word is some Target stores are introing the price this weekend.

At 20-30$ more than the Elite it seems kind of silly to get the Elite unless you really like the Xbox.

Grem

Enjoying life one T-Cell at a time.
Oct 4, 2006
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
Last years E3 killed the Playstation (there was no easy way to say it would cost $600 and not upset people), this year it will be about rebuilding the brand. And with the new games and franchises that will be shown, it could be the best E3 for Sony ever.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Word is some Target stores are introing the price this weekend.

At 20-30$ more than the Elite it seems kind of silly to get the Elite unless you really like the Xbox.
Uh, other than the Elite has a 50% bigger hard drive, includes an HDMI cable, and already has a larger stable of damn good games available on it?

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Uh, other than the Elite has a 50% bigger hard drive, includes an HDMI cable, and already has a larger stable of damn good games available on it?

The HDMI really isn't needed for what the 360 does. The larger hard drive is nice though.

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
Last years E3 killed the Playstation (there was no easy way to say it would cost $600 and not upset people), this year it will be about rebuilding the brand. And with the new games and franchises that will be shown, it could be the best E3 for Sony ever.
do tell, what games and franchises will these be?

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Killzone for one is supposed to be good. FFXIII will be out early next year. LittleBigPlanet is well received so far.

That's off the top of my head.

frago

I am Jacks raging bile duct
Apr 27, 2006
Could be free and I would still smash it.
Just say no to Jap Crap.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
do tell, what games and franchises will these be?
The most anticipated announcement for Sony will be showing the updated progress on Killzone and whether or not it lives up to the expectations of the trailer they showed 2 years ago.

Killzone trailer from E3 2005:

[yt]C3Yo2fO8XjM[/yt]

And there's the new stuff that's kept under wraps until they unveil it at E3. It's always interesting to see what all the companies have to show off for all the systems.

JimsInfectedEye

That's very hurtful, sir.
May 21, 2005
Philadelphia
Ok, now I'm wondering if I should buy that xbox from my friend (not the 360) for $250 (including about 20 games). Any advice?

T

ThunderPimp

Tokyo (Japan) – Sony’s President Ryoji Chubachi has quashed Internet rumors about an upcoming $100 price drop for the PlayStation 3 console. Chubachi told Reuters that the company has “no immediate plans” of reducing the PS3 price.
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32787/98/

No price drop.