New Radiohead album... on October 10th!

Garyisajoke

I created FRED, fuckface. Show some respect.
Nov 20, 2005
D.C.
Despite the fact that are not currently signed to a music label and rumors that their upcoming LP would be pushed back to 2008, Radiohead announced that their new album will in fact "drop" on October 10. If you are not a Radiohead fan, move on... to the kitchen... and grab the toaster... then move to the bathroom... draw a bath... plug in the toaster... jump in the tub with toaster in hand... and die. That's awesome news - I think they're the best band of my generation. But getting an album might be a bit tricky though. This is from Rollingstone.com:

Radiohead have been teasing fans with cryptic clues about their seventh studio album for weeks, and now they have made a surprising announcement via their Dead Air Space Web site: The album, titled In Rainbows, is coming out October 10th. As of now, there has been no news about the band signing to a label (their deal with Capitol ended after the release of 2003’s Hail to the Thief), and In Rainbows is only available for sale via the Web site Inrainbows.com (for now). Fans can either order discboxes containing the new album on CD and vinyl, a second CD with additional tracks, artwork and photos, a lyric booklet and a download (the package will ship on or before December 3rd) or a download, which will be active as of October 10th. Keep reading for the tracklist:

CD 1 and vinyl:
“15 Step”
“Bodysnatchers”
“Nude”
“Weird Fishes/Arpeggi”
“All I Need”
“Faust ARP”
“Reckoner”
“House of Cards”
“Jigsaw Falling Into Place”
“Videotape”

CD 2 and vinyl:
“MK 1″
“Down Is the New Up”
“Go Slowly”
“MK 2″
“Last Flowers”
“Up on the Ladder”
“Bangers and Mash”
“4 Minute Warning”

Garyisajoke

Nov 20, 2005
D.C.
I'm psyched for the "drop"
I hate that term but it's become the go-to term for an album's release. Why don't films "drop" but albums do? How the hell did they come up with that? Oh well... can't wait for this album. I read it's more of a return to the guitar-driven stuff they did on "The Bends" which would be great.

It's been a pretty good year for music. Zutons, the View, Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party, the Cribs, Kaiser Chiefs and White Stripes didn't disappoint - hopefully Radiohead won't... like Bright Eyes did. Stupid country-western shit... oh and I hear the next Babyshambles is amazing, but we'll see.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Just what I want from a rock band...whiny British singer and slow piano melodies.

I don't get Radiohead. All their songs sound the same and put me to sleep.

Redding

Why can't us?
Mar 20, 2005
Bristol, PA
you can download it and pay what you want....i think this is because most people are gonna DL the album and purchase the actual cd/vinyl box set so they will make the money on the cd box and any money people pay for the DL will be extra

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
My guess is that they know some die-hards will pay fair value, and this way they cut out the agents/record scumbags/execs who will take all the cream from the top. They will prolly rake in the bux this way. Pretty genius, if it works.

Garyisajoke

Nov 20, 2005
D.C.
Interesting take from Pitchfork. It will come out as a regular CD eventually:

Okay people! Take a couple deep breaths, count to 10, switch the caps lock off, clean up the triple espresso you just spit all over the computer screen, and check this: that new Radiohead album, In Rainbows? The one that the world knew practically zilch about 24 hours ago? The one that drops digitally (DRM-free, no less!) in nine days, for a price of your own choosing? The one that's also coming out in a deluxe "discbox" in December? Well, it's also coming out in good, old fashioned CD format early next year.

No word on when exactly or through which label-- if any label at all-- but that's the news thus far from the band's publicist.

So, let's sort this whole mess out, shall we? You will eventually have three ways to pick up the seventh Radiohead LP, the Nigel Godrich-produced In Rainbows. It all depends how much you want to pay, which goodies you'd like, and how soon you want the tunes. Observe:

1. As a DRM-free mp3 download, beginning October 10 (and available for preorder now), via www.inrainbows.com (interestingly enough, last week's RickRoll, www.radioheadlp7.com, now directs here as well). This version contains the 10 tracks that comprise In Rainbows, and you can pay whatever the hell you want for it. This is basically the band leaking the album and asking you for a donation to access it.

2. As part of a deluxe "discbox", available for preorder now and shipping in December. In addition to the 10-track In Rainbows on CD, you also get the release on LP and as a digital download, plus an enhanced bonus CD packed with eight more tracks, photos, and artwork (and an LP of the bonus tracks), plus art and lyrics booklets and some nifty looking packaging. This thing costs £40.00/$81.00.

3. As a traditional CD, available in early 2008. This will presumably cost as much as traditional CDs tend to cost.

What Radiohead's doing here is actually pretty cool. Rather than preface their new album's release with the usual three months of press ballyhoo, only to have it leak at some random time before it comes out, they've kept it completely under wraps, then essentially gone and leaked it themselves. What's more, they've turned this into a moral question of sorts, by giving us the freedom to pay actual money for what amounts to an album leak.

Only a band in Radiohead's position could pull a trick like this. Well played, gentlemen.

Garyisajoke

Nov 20, 2005
D.C.
They're busy in the Korn vs. NIN thread. I can understand someone not getting Radiohead, but you have to appreciate what they do. Fuck you if you don't.

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
this is some of the best news all year, more than arcade fire this year

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
They're busy in the Korn vs. NIN thread. I can understand someone not getting Radiohead, but you have to appreciate what they do. Fuck you if you don't.
I don't get them. As I said above, every song sounds the same to me and Thom York's voice puts me sleep with his whiny overtones. Also, Radiohead fans are the biggest music snobs. I like all types of music, just not Radiohead, but I guess I don't know shit. Please explain to me their genius? What makes them better then, say Muse or Coldplay?

Having said that, this is a cool move by the band. Anything that's a fuck you to record labels gets a thumbs up in my book. Hell, maybe I'll give them another shot since it'll be free.

Oct 8, 2003
Chicago, IL
you can download it and pay what you want....i think this is because most people are gonna DL the album and purchase the actual cd/vinyl box set so they will make the money on the cd box and any money people pay for the DL will be extra
Yep. I just preordered a $56 album (40 euros), that I could have downloaded for free, because of the 8 extra songs and Stanley Donwood artwork.

I'll regret the purchase once I see I could have got this all off of any download site in the world!

BTW, "Gayest Album Title Ever". But for now I'm happy that I'll soon get to hear "Nude" studio versions. I've been a fan of this unreleased song since it was played sometime in 1997. Hopefully it doesn't suck after all this time.

Oct 8, 2003
Chicago, IL
I feel like a big dumb asshole. I canceled my order because I got the exchange rate wrong. I thought it was $56, turns out it's $82. Which oddly, $56 I can just barely justify, but I can't do $82.

I stink.

Jun 14, 2004
I'm one of the die hards. I ordered the deluxe version within the first 20 mins inrainbows.com went live. i'm pretty sure it will become a coletor's edition and go for crazy on ebay later, maybe I should order some more.

Sep 13, 2005
New Jersey
THE ALBUM WILL COME AS A 48.4MB ZIP FILE CONTAINING 10 X 160KBPS DRM FREE MP3s.

good thing i don't care about them enough to have paid for the album. it was a dick move not telling the fans what kind of bitrate the downloads would be in

GDRC

This is what I do now
Jun 28, 2006
MA
Yes it is a dick move to give the album away for free. If you don't like the bitrate, wait for the CD.

Oct 8, 2003
Chicago, IL
Listening to it now. I really like it. They did a great job with "Nude", which they could have made suck since it's been around for years.

IMO, they fucked up "Reckoner", sounds nothing like the original version played live and the lyrics are different. I think they might have renamed another song, Reckoner just to put it out.

Other than that, great album.

A lot of drum machines with cymbol rides, vox and synth lines. But they make it work if you're a fan of the new songs they debuted in 2006.

If it doesn't grab you right away, I bet it's a grower, but so far I'm enjoying it.

Now, I can't wait for the real CD to be released, since the mp3's are 160kbps. Plus, there were 8 other songs recorded.

"Open Pick" got a name change to "Jigsaw Falling Into Place". Which I'm glad it got recorded.

Looks like the only songs not recorded were "Spooks", "Follow Me Around" and "True Love Waits".

Redding

Why can't us?
Mar 20, 2005
Bristol, PA
i have been listening to it non stop since downloading it on wednesday and now i just saw this unofficial news from greenplastic.com

Gigwise is reporting that the 1.2 million copies of In Rainbows have been sold worldwide. This is apparently from a "source close to the band" so nothing official has been announced.

gigwise said:
Exclusive: Radiohead Sell 1.2million Copies Of 'In Rainbows'
Band are raking it in...
by Scott Colothan on 11/10/2007

Gigwise has learnt that Radiohead have sold an amazing 1.2million copies of their seventh album ‘In Rainbows.’

The band and their long-term management company Courtyard Management have remained tight lipped about the exact sales figures, seemingly in a bid to add to keep a mysterious air around the album.

But speaking to a source close to the band last night, we’ve discovered that the Oxford band have achieved this monumental sales figure.

Even if every person who downloaded the album paid just 10 pence, the band will still rake in a massive £120,000. That figure is likely to be higher, with many speculating the average figure will even out at around the £1 mark.

With growing media hype around the release of ‘In Rainbows’, these unprecedented sales figures look certain to keep on rising. If they finally announce a world tour, audience figures are expected to be higher too.

Thom Yorke and co. will cash in again when the payments clear for the ‘In Rainbows’ box set which are on sale for £40 a go.

As expected, Radiohead are the clear victors of this radical way of releasing their album. Their success should prompt other big names to follow suit.

Jun 14, 2004
true love waits was realease as a live recording after the amnesiac tour, it;s doubtful they'll ever record it in the studio.

Since nude made it, i once again have hopes for big boots, follow me around, and lift.

BroGonzo

In between shots of bourbon
Jul 3, 2006
Cortland, New York
I saw the YouTube version of "Videotape" that Thom Yorke made ("From the Basement," apparently). It's just him doing vocals and playing piano -- very stirring.

I'm listening my way through the 10-track download now (I paid five pounds for it -- I thought that was about right) and I'm impressed. The songs are a lot better than Amnesiac's were, and even though I don't know if it's as good an album as OK Computer was, I'm really loving what I've heard so far (Jigsaw Falling Into Place just cued up).

Some people are apparently bitching about the bitrate of the download -- they sent it out at 160 Kbps instead of the P2P standard of 192 Kbps or the closer-to-CD-quality 360. What the fuck ever. They didn't actually charge for the album, and I think it's beautiful.