New router pissing me off

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
I just got a new Belkin router to replace our old one. However setting this thing up seems to be a nightmare. I can't connect to it with my Android phone or net books, it wont provide an IP address to either device. For being the latest and greatest technology, this thing sucks! Is there some magic setting I need to adjust? It's set up for WPA/PSK protocol and the firewall is off. There's no reason thing shouldn't automatically be connecting to every device I punch the password into.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I can't get our Android phones and certain other things to connect to my router and access points if I use AES encryption. For some reason it has to be TKIP. Unfortunately, TKIP seems to limit connect speed to 54MB which is Wireless-G. But, at least it works.

Luckily, both my router and access points can do multiple SSID's so I have one configured each way. PC's connect to the AES-encrypted SSID at 300MB and the phones and other crap connect to the TKIP-encrypted SSID at 54MB.

You may be having a similar issue.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
I see the wireless networking manufacturers have made great strides in making their devices more secure

by not letting even the rightful owners have access

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Never realized the difference but now that I checked it out, I do believe that was my problem with my old router. Unfortunately the new router doesn't give me the option of TKIP without switching to WEP encryption, so I switched back to my old router. I would really like to find a router that supports two SSID's. Sounds like that might be the real solution to my problems.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I have never had positive interaction with Belkin products. Everything that I have purchased from that company has given me a moderate to large pain in the ass. I avoid them like the plague nowadays.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
I have never had positive interaction with Belkin products. Everything that I have purchased from that company has given me a moderate to large pain in the ass. I avoid them like the plague nowadays.
I hear ya but I feel like every router manufacturer (like every hard drive manufacturer) has some real horror stories to the point now where you can hardly trust any of them. I'm almost resigned to buy based on price now. I've had 3 routers die on me in the last 2 years after having my Linksys run like a tank for 5 years straight.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Ok. If you've had a Linksys router run like a tank for 5 years, and it's time for an upgrade, why go Belkin (other than for price)?

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Ok. If you've had a Linksys router run like a tank for 5 years, and it's time for an upgrade, why go Belkin (other than for price)?
Because I've had a Buffalo, Cisco and a Mediacom all shit on me in the last 18 months. What else is there?

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I think I'm done with Cisco. I'm going to try DD-WRT on an Asus next. No more cheap routers either.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
The Cisco wins hands-down for easiest setup, too bad their products are shit. The Mediacom was fairly straightforward as well for an "off-brand". Everything seemed to want to work with it (until it didn't). But the Belkin seemed to be set up to make things as difficult and needlessly complicated as possible (and I fancy myself as a literate computer geek). I saw the Asus models on Amazon last night, perhaps I'll grab one of those once I box up this POS Belkin and send it back.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
The Cisco wins hands-down for easiest setup, too bad their products are shit. The Mediacom was fairly straightforward as well for an "off-brand". Everything seemed to want to work with it (until it didn't). But the Belkin seemed to be set up to make things as difficult and needlessly complicated as possible (and I fancy myself as a literate computer geek). I saw the Asus models on Amazon last night, perhaps I'll grab one of those once I box up this POS Belkin and send it back.
I think for once I'm going to have to spend over $50 to get the quality I want.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
My Linksys Router lasted 6 years before it started messing up, then bought a Netgear. I bought a Cisco/Linksys Router after my one year old Netgear Router died. I'd like a to find an old Linksys Router and use DD-WRT on it.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
My Linksys Router lasted 6 years before it started messing up, then bought a Netgear. I bought a Cisco/Linksys Router after my one year old Netgear Router died. I'd like a to find an old Linksys Router and use DD-WRT on it.
I have four. They work, sort of. I have never had a constant connection ever.