New slow cooker...recipes?

NotSoFast

I got a new programmable slow cooker for Christmas.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Hamilton+Beach+-+Set+%26+Forget+Stay+or+Go+6-Quart+Slow+Cooker+-+Stainless-Steel/8631064.p?id=1194051530726&skuId=8631064

Anyone have any favorite recipes? Preferrably relatively cheap ones?

I bought a "roast kit" (roast, gravy mix, vegetables all in one package), added some extra seasoning and cooked it overnight and it actually turned out very well. Juicy and just fell apart before I could even put a knife to it.

Wow, that thing is tits bro.

I have no specific recipes but look for chili, it's cheap and oh so delicious. You can make it as cheap or expensive as you like depending on how much meat you put on it, so cut back to save money and increase to add flavor. I always like a lot of bean in my chili.

NotSoFast

Wow, that thing is tits bro.
Yeah, that's why I asked mom for it. She's usually good for getting us the things we ask for or hint about (within reason). She liked it so much that she bought herself and my sister ones just like it.

I just wish I could set it to high for so much time then have it automatically switch to low for so much time. It only lets you program one heat setting at a time. I am yet to use the probe so far. I may do a turkey breast in some chicken stock with onions and garlic using the probe since I wouldn't want to cook the fuck out of it like a roast.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Take my advice, buy the Reynolds slow cooker bags.

THEY are tits.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Hamilton Beach - Set & Forget Stay or Go 6-Quart Slow Cooker - Stainless-Steel
I think this guy might have a case against them for stealing his marketing campaign:

NotSoFast

I think this guy might have a case against them for stealing his marketing campaign:

His was "Set It and Forget It". Obviously it's different by two words.

I don't remember it having "Set and Forget" on the box, though it says it in the Best Buy ad. I may be mistaken. It's happened once before.

NotSoFast

Thanks, I just started a modified version.

3lb. boneless pork roast
1 lg. sweet yellow onion
Lots o' garlic
Tons of sliced mushrooms
Liquid smoke
Tabasco sauce
Tony Chacherie's Cajun Seasoning
Salt
Black pepper
2 cups of water

Here's a before pic. Tomorrow I should have a results pic.

And yes, there is a roast under there somewhere. :icon_mrgr

icculus1284

I'll see if I can find the slow cooked chicken wing recipe we use. Slow cookers make some great beef stroganoff too.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
If a whole chicken would fit in there, I think there'd be some interesting things to try like a twist on beercan chicken.

NotSoFast

It's huge. 6 quarts. I could almost fit 2 chickens in it. The only thing is that you need a fair amount of liquid in there with whatever you are cooking.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
I've been slow cooking for a while. Quick to prep and I have food for a few days.

Here's a couple of my regulars:

Pulled pork spanish-style

-Boston Butt (shoulder) usually about 4.5lbs - has piece of shoulder blade and a layer of fat, but no skin.
- mojo (Goya or Badilla) about a 1/3 of a bottle. Mojo is a marinade garlic, onion, and bitter orange you can get it in the spanish food section of your supermarket. If you don't find it, get some fresh limes and use onions (or onion powder) and about 1/2 cup of water
- olives with pimento
- capers
- garlic powder or adobo

with a knife, poke random holes in shoulder and stuff olives and capers at least 1". Place shoulder in slow cooker fat side up. Pour mojo over meat. Sprinkle garlic powder over top, don't be shy.

Cook on low for at least 8 hours. You will know it is done because the meat will fall apart and the bone will come out cleanly.

Sometimes I skip the olives/capers and add some lime juice at the end.

Brisket

- brisket (i usually by it at Sam's club and use on half, and freeze the other)
- baby carrots
- cauliflower
- dry onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup beef stock (either liquid or mix 1/2 cup water with bullion or paste)

Place carrots and cauliflower (or potatoes if you prefer) in bottom of slow cooker. Place brisket on vegetables fat side up. Pour some of the beef stock over the meat. Sprinkle soup mix on meat. Pour rest of stock around sides.

I prefer to cook on low whenever possible. This is usually done in about 6 hours. You can start it on high for an hour and then switch to low for three or until tender.

NotSoFast

Update on the bbq. I cooked it on high for about 4 hours and low for 2 hours. Drained liquid from the pot and left the onions, garlic, and mushrooms. I shredded (barely touched with tongs) and put back in the pot. I added an 18oz. bottle of "Sweet Baby Ray's" bbq sauce. It's the first time I have used this brand, but I must say it's SUPER good. Mixed it all together and set it to low for 2 hours. That's where I am now. It's almost bedtime, so I may just let it sit on the "warm" setting after the 2 hours are up.

BBQ sauce just added...

NotSoFast

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. The pulled pork bbq is coming along very nicely.

The pot is pretty big. Plenty of room in there. The shredded meat above is a 3.2 lb. boneless pork roast.

I think I may simmer a whole boneless turkey breast in onions, vegetables, and chicken stock. Sounds like it would turn out pretty well.

ginaf20697

It's huge. 6 quarts. I could almost fit 2 chickens in it. The only thing is that you need a fair amount of liquid in there with whatever you are cooking.
No you don't. Everything you put in there will give off it's own liquid so most stuff needs less than for a normal recipe. To cook a whole chicken you would just throw it in with the seasonings and it would come out fine. Here is a good site.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

NotSoFast

No you don't. Everything you put in there will give off it's own liquid so most stuff needs less than for a normal recipe. To cook a whole chicken you would just throw it in with the seasonings and it would come out fine. Here is a good site.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
OK. The Instruction booklet that came with mine said it worked best if filled about half way.

Thanks for the link to the blog page. It looked pretty good in the minute or two I looked it over.

ginaf20697

The person with that blog has a book out with the recipes too. Also I like the Not Your Mother's slow cooker cookbooks (especially the original and the slow cooking for two) Cheater BBQ has some really good slow cooker recipes too.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
I've used google when looking for recipes. I know Weight Watchers has a lasagna recipe that does not require you to cook the noodles first. That might be my next try.

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
I have a slow cooker, I was wondering If I could use canned chicken with it. I don't want it to just disintegrate in the cooker. Also, any one have any good gumbo recipes for the slow cooker?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
just made beef stew, but i used my dutch oven instead of my crockpot.

CousinDave

just made beef stew, but i used my dutch oven instead of my crockpot.

Enamel covered Cast Iron Dutch Ovens rule!

I think I'm gonna cock a big pot of beans and a pan of corn bread tomorrow (sounds like I'm going to be snowed in for a few days - not that I can go anywhere anyway)

So should I cook the beans (Pinto) in the Dutch Oven or Pressure Cooker ?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
i would just do them in the dutch oven, slow and low. but i like it when my beans turn to mash. i dont own a pressure cooker. also my dutch oven is just super seasoned bare cast iron, i like to use mine in the fire so i didn't want to bother with enamel. i just learned the beauty of a real dutch oven a few years ago, i also use mine as my deep fryer, i gave up on my crock pot, its old and doesn't heat right anymore, but my wife still uses it. ive been using my dutch oven with my digital remote thermometer and it works out perfect, ive always known how important heat control was but not until i started experimenting with the thermometer did i realize just how important.

CousinDave

i would just do them in the dutch oven, slow and low. but i like it when my beans turn to mash. i dont own a pressure cooker. also my dutch oven is just super seasoned bare cast iron, i like to use mine in the fire so i didn't want to bother with enamel. i just learned the beauty of a real dutch oven a few years ago, i also use mine as my deep fryer, i gave up on my crock pot, its old and doesn't heat right anymore, but my wife still uses it. ive been using my dutch oven with my digital remote thermometer and it works out perfect, ive always known how important heat control was but not until i started experimenting with the thermometer did i realize just how important.

I have seasoned bare Cast Iron as well, I just prefer the enameled so I can put it in the dishwasher, but the corn bread pan is not enameled.

You gotta get a pressure cooker, they are wonderful for cooking grain dishes. Don't think about your grandmothers pressure cooker, need to get one of the modern designs that are spring loaded & stainless Steele - I have a set of 3 from Kuhn Rikon - I think every kitchen needs at least 1 mid sized pressure cooker.