New slow cooker...recipes?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
ive been thinking about buying a pressure cooker for years, my biggest problem is that my wife and son dont eat the food that i cook, so everything that i make i have to eat myself, now i could just make tiny portions but then im stuck with left over raw materials or make the dish for 4 and get stuck eating it all week, now this does have its high points, but does get boring, and some things just dont taste as good the next day. i would like to try some pressure deep frying though, i love fried chicken but i always buy it out. what i really need to do is clean out my kitchen cabinets and buy shit that im going to use.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
I'm looking for a Rice Pudding recipe. Preferably one that uses brown rice, and where I can just throw everything into the crock pot & forget it. I tried google, but didn't find anything useful

icculus1284

Had some great beef tips cooked in the slow cooker the other night. Rice was mixed in, so it was a bit mushy, but tasted fine to me regardless of the consistency.

NotSoFast

I have four 1 1/2" thick pork chops simmering in some chicken stock now. It sure smells good. Got about a half hour left on these then they disappear.

NotSoFast

OK. The pork chops turned out very nicely. The meat just fell off the bone. I also made some mashed potatoes and biscuits. Even the very picky eater, my fiancee, loved the chops.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
I've done a whole turkey breast (bone-in, with skin) before. I sliced up some sweet potatoes to line the bottom of the crock-pot. I used some chicken stock and cranberry sauce with the whole cranberries (not the jelly kind).

Turkey came out moist as hell. After removing the turkey and potatoes, I mixed some Wondra in with remaining liquid to make gravy.

metallikat87

i just did this one
http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=234
did beef instead of pork and i used about half the chipotle and adobo he suggested. and of course i dont have the 600 dollar williams-sonoma crock pot that he has so i had to brown the meat in a skillet, then deglaze the pan with the tomatoes to get all the good brown meat stuff in the cooker
leave it on high and dont even stir for 6 hours and it was fucking tasty, potatoes stayed intact due to not stirring but they soaked up all the meat and chipotle flavors and the meat was falling apart

NotSoFast

I have a crock pot lasagna going now.

1.5lbs. ground beef
1 24oz. jar spaghetti sauce
Ricotta cheese
Shredded "Italian mix" cheese (Mozzerella, Asiago, and a couple others)
"Oven-Ready" Lasagna noodles

Brown meat, drain, add sauce.
Spray crock with cooking spray.
Lay down a layer of noodles, breaking them to fit the footprint of the crock.
Spoon in layer of meat sauce.
Dab in riccotta cheese.
Sprinkle layer of shredded cheese.
Repeat layering steps until you use all the sauce.

Cook on low for about 4-5 hours.

Smells good so far.

f kane

Known Traffic Menace
One Pork shoulder, room temperature

Season with kosher salt and pepper

place should in slow cooker

pour room temperature root beer over shoulder unit it comes to top, but not covers shoulder completely.

cook on low for 8 hours

You can pull your pork and mix with a quality BBQ sauce, or you can just eat it like it is.

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Did a soup today:

1 roasted duck neck and spine
8 potatoes peeled and cubed
12 cups water
2 cups of carrots
1/2 cup celery

salt, thyme, sage, onion to taste

8 hours on medium

Goobster

I do a whole chicken in ours a lot. Just mix the spices you like with a little oil/melted butter and rub it on the chicken.

Cook for about 4 to 6 on low and you should be good to go.

Razor Roman

MJMandalayForPresident2024
If a whole chicken would fit in there, I think there'd be some interesting things to try like a twist on beercan chicken.
I can do a whole chicken with mine... after rinsing the chicken, I place it in the slow cooker with a mess o' chopped onions and carrots and pour in a bottle of beer and let it cook. Then I use what I don't eat to make soup! :)

The broke ass gourmet thread reminded me about crock pot cookin. I gotta break mine out again

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Pot roast, chili, potato soup, halupki, pork & saurkraut (I'm a dutchie, aka pennsylvania dutch, aka a squarehead kraut).

The best part is there are always like 4-5 days worth of leftovers, and it's all freezeable.

Halupki is the best by far, but it takes skill (even in a slow cooker) to do it right. Actually if you want to do it really right you should do it on the stovetop in a big pot, but I'm always too lazy and the crock pot version's not a bad knockoff.

Cabbage leaves
Onions
80% "lean" ground sirloin
White rice
Tomato juice
S&P

Fuck proportions, I always eyeball it. It's the better way to learn how to make it anyway.

Only large cabbage leaves, but never from the outside of the head. The biggest ones you can find from the layer just inside. It's important that no part of the leaf was in contact with any air. Still, they should be as big as possible.

Tomato juice is the key. It sounds ghetto, and I guess it is, but everything else I've tasted is pure shit.

No need for garlic. I've tried other versions and they've all been terrible. Everybody tries to "spice it up", and it's always fail.

Don't let it cook down too much. It's a good idea to add water when it needs it, which is probably 'often'. Keep it pretty loose. (This is why it's always better on the stovetop. What makes a good meal is the amount of time you spend in the kitchen fussing with whatever you're cooking. Grandma's kick ass when it comes to that).

Chop the onions fine. Saute them and add the beef. Cook the rice seperately. Use cabbage leaves that have been steamed or blanched. Don't overdo it, just steam them until they're malleable enough to make good wraps. Mix the rice in with the onion/beef (you could add your S&P whenever) and wrap the mixture with the cabbage leaves. Place in pot or slow cooker. Then it's just a matter of pouring the tomato juice on top of everything. How much depends on the dimensions of the cooking vessel, but if add have too much - or even way too much - it's probably not a big deal. Just have to keep it pretty thin until there's about 30 minutes left, then you can allow it to thicken.

Cannot stress enough how important the tomato juice is. If you're considering sauce, paste, whatever, don't even bother.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Talk about bringing up a thread from the dead.

I picked up your run of the mill slow cooker a couple weeks back....why have I never bothered with these before.

I have been making hearty, yummy soups....and carb free.

First was a fajita soup

Fajita Soup a la Biv

32 oz container of Chicken stock (can use low sodium)

Three chicken breasts, skinless and boneless.

Two cans of Rotel diced tomatoes w/ jalapeno

1 1/2 cup of diced Bell peppers (I used mixed green, yellow and red)

1 cup of onion (I used mixed red and white)

1/2 cup of carrots

1 can of corn - drained

Garlic (I have a squeeze bottle. About two tablespoons. So 6-8 finely diced or squished cloves)

Two stalks of celery, diced.

1 small can of mild salsa verde (That little $0.89-$0.99 can you get in the Mexican food section)

One package of fajita spices (like you use to cook fajita meat)

Cooking is really hard.

Get your crock pot. Put the chicken in. Put all the ingredients on top. Pour in the chicken stock (it should cover everything). Put in half of the spice. Stir.

Cook on low for 6 hours.

Pull out the chicken and shred it. Put the chicken back in with the rest of the spice. Cook for another hour to hour-and-a-half.

Soup is on.

I also found a recipe for they called a "Cheeseburger soup." I modified it heavily.

One pound of ground beef, browned in garlic

Two links of andouille sausage, quartered lengthwise then sliced into about 1cm-squared bits.

32 oz container of beef stock

1 and 1/2 cups of onion (might have ben more, red and white)

Two cans of Rotel diced tomatoes w/ jalapeno

Half a can of sliced mushrooms, chopped fine (I'd use fresh, but I had it on hand)

Two large dill pickle spears, skinned and chopped into tiny cubes.

Garlic (I have a squeeze bottle. About two tablespoons. So 6-8 finely diced or squished cloves)

Worcestershire sauce...I did a good amount....maybe two tablespoons-ish?

About two tbsns of Dijon mustard.

My secret ingredient again, 1 small can of mild salsa verde

Half a brick of chream cheese

About two and 1/2 cups of graded cheddar cheese. (I used the small, pre-shredded package)

Put the meat and sausage in the cooker. Cover in the rest of the ingredients except the cheese. Add the beef stock, stir the veggie layers.

I cooked mine about six hours before stirring in the cheese and cream cheese and cooking for anoth 30-45 minutes on high. There will still be small bits of the cream cheese but the cheddar will completely dissolve into the broth.

That's all folks, yummy, tasty, meaty, cheesy soup.

Because of the sausage, you'll have to skim the grease off of cold soup before re-heating. Kinda like fresh chicken stock once it cools.

BIV

Tomorrow. ....corned beef.

I don't know if I've gad corned beef since I was, like, 8.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Why not get an instant pot? Same result, but considerably less time.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
I use a Lodge Dutch Oven.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41IE1C12TbL.jpg

Two hours to a full chili works fine. What's the time in a Instant Pot for Chili?

I dug Pulled Pork in a slow cooker. Grab a pork shoulder for cheap at your local grocery, toss in a homemade bbq sauce (easy to make), a 2L of Root Beer, and spice to taste. Add more bbq sauce after you drain, and off you go. Pulled Pork Sliders roll in and you're a hero with some housemade slaw.

I made teriyaki pork chops the other day. 4 1-inch thick boneless pork chops seasoned with salt and garlic powder, some sliced onion, and teriyaki sauce cut with some water on low for 6 hours. In the last hour I added sliced red bell peppers, celery, and carrots cut into thin sticks. It came out good enough that my wife wants it again and she's not a big fan of pork chops. I might add pineapple next time to see how it goes.

Bobobie

Why not get an instant pot? Same result, but considerably less time.
It's just as convenient. You put the ingredients in the pot, go to work, and come home to a meal. Even more convenient because you can serve and eat it right away.

BIV

I know nuffin of these in-sto-pots.