New slow cooker...recipes?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
It's just as convenient. You put the ingredients in the pot, go to work, and come home to a meal. Even more convenient because you can serve and eat it right away.
I actually think that the crockpot is still necessary, because my instant pot is burning stuff lately

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Talk about bringing up a thread from the dead.

I picked up your run of the mill slow cooker a couple weeks back....why have I never bothered with these before.

I have been making hearty, yummy soups....and carb free.

First was a fajita soup

Fajita Soup a la Biv

32 oz container of Chicken stock (can use low sodium)

Three chicken breasts, skinless and boneless.

Two cans of Rotel diced tomatoes w/ jalapeno

1 1/2 cup of diced Bell peppers (I used mixed green, yellow and red)

1 cup of onion (I used mixed red and white)

1/2 cup of carrots

1 can of corn - drained

Garlic (I have a squeeze bottle. About two tablespoons. So 6-8 finely diced or squished cloves)

Two stalks of celery, diced.

1 small can of mild salsa verde (That little $0.89-$0.99 can you get in the Mexican food section)

One package of fajita spices (like you use to cook fajita meat)

Cooking is really hard.

Get your crock pot. Put the chicken in. Put all the ingredients on top. Pour in the chicken stock (it should cover everything). Put in half of the spice. Stir.

Cook on low for 6 hours.

Pull out the chicken and shred it. Put the chicken back in with the rest of the spice. Cook for another hour to hour-and-a-half.

Soup is on.

I also found a recipe for they called a "Cheeseburger soup." I modified it heavily.

One pound of ground beef, browned in garlic

Two links of andouille sausage, quartered lengthwise then sliced into about 1cm-squared bits.

32 oz container of beef stock

1 and 1/2 cups of onion (might have ben more, red and white)

Two cans of Rotel diced tomatoes w/ jalapeno

Half a can of sliced mushrooms, chopped fine (I'd use fresh, but I had it on hand)

Two large dill pickle spears, skinned and chopped into tiny cubes.

Garlic (I have a squeeze bottle. About two tablespoons. So 6-8 finely diced or squished cloves)

Worcestershire sauce...I did a good amount....maybe two tablespoons-ish?

About two tbsns of Dijon mustard.

My secret ingredient again, 1 small can of mild salsa verde

Half a brick of chream cheese

About two and 1/2 cups of graded cheddar cheese. (I used the small, pre-shredded package)

Put the meat and sausage in the cooker. Cover in the rest of the ingredients except the cheese. Add the beef stock, stir the veggie layers.

I cooked mine about six hours before stirring in the cheese and cream cheese and cooking for anoth 30-45 minutes on high. There will still be small bits of the cream cheese but the cheddar will completely dissolve into the broth.

That's all folks, yummy, tasty, meaty, cheesy soup.

Because of the sausage, you'll have to skim the grease off of cold soup before re-heating. Kinda like fresh chicken stock once it cools.

Thanks alot, you Prick Fuck. Now I'm getting the ingredients for a la BIV soups.

Last edited:

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Tomorrow. ....corned beef.

I don't know if I've gad corned beef since I was, like, 8.
10/10. Will make again.

Holy shit did that turn out good.

Bobobie

I'm thawing some flank steak to cut up for stew. I think the only recipe I've not tried is an overnight steel cut oats and cream thing.

BIV

The fucking Fajita one. I skoffed the entire time I made it thinking this soup is going to taste like Franks Arm-Kuato. Best soup I've had in recent memory.
Thanks!

I'm thinking about trying the same recipe again but with enchilada seasonings.

Not sure I want to screw with what works, though.

BIV

The fucking Fajita one. I skoffed the entire time I made it thinking this soup is going to taste like Franks Arm-Kuato. Best soup I've had in recent memory.
Made it again Tuesday.
Yup, still awesome.

BIV

I had a Frozen pork chop and some small, frozen chicken breasts, but not enough of either, so I cooked them at the same time in the cooker.

And I cooked them way too long.

Next time, three hours, not four.

Too bad, too. The taste was spot on, just over cooked. Use a souvlaki marinade as the base, added a generic version of the rotel tomatoes, onions and garlic with a little extra water.

I want to try it again with a proper cooking time.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
I had a Frozen pork chop and some small, frozen chicken breasts, but not enough of either, so I cooked them at the same time in the cooker.

And I cooked them way too long.

Next time, three hours, not four.

Too bad, too. The taste was spot on, just over cooked. Use a souvlaki marinade as the base, added a generic version of the rotel tomatoes, onions and garlic with a little extra water.

I want to try it again with a proper cooking time.
My rule of thumb when using a slow cooker is always take an hour off the suggested cooking time. Sometimes even two.

Next time, the thaw the meat out first and then brown it before you put in the slow cooker. You can get more flavor that way.

Haeder

South Dakota
My rule of thumb when using a slow cooker is always take an hour off the suggested cooking time. Sometimes even two.

Next time, the thaw the meat out first and then brown it before you put in the slow cooker. You can get more flavor that way.
My wife likes cooking things for 8 hours in the crock pot. Medium rare isn't a thing she includes in her recipes.

Everything, however, can be eaten without the aid of a knife.

BIV

I always thaw.
Raw frozen chicken in a slow cooker is a good way to end up in the hospital.

Not browning is pure laziness, on my part.

brown it before you put in the slow cooker. You can get more flavor that way.
That's the whole purpose of the slow cooker to me. Instead of cooking on the stove top on low, and having to go into the kitchen every 15 mins to stir to prevent sticking in the pan, you can skip this step and do something else. Depending on the recipe it could take a little longer to cook this way but its 100% more convenient.