New Stephen King book: "Duma Key"

Dre

(Insert Witty Line Here)
Mar 11, 2006
Facing a monitor.
I know from previous threads that we have quite a few Stephen King fans on this board including myself. So, I thought I'd post about the fact that I was lucky enough to stumble upon his new book in Barnes and Noble today, and bring it home. It's called Duma Key, and it looks pretty damn good, here's a quick synopsis:

A terrible construction site accident takes Edgar Freemantle's right arm and scrambles his memory and his mind, leaving him with little but rage as he begins the ordeal of rehabilitation. A marriage that produced two lovely daughters suddenly ends, and Edgar begins to wish he hadn't survived the injuries that could have killed him. He wants out. His psychologist, Dr. Kamen, suggests a "geographic cure," a new life distant from the Twin Cities and the building business Edgar grew from scratch. And Kamen suggests something else.

"Edgar, does anything make you happy?"

"I used to sketch."

"Take it up again. You need hedges... hedges against the night."

Edgar leaves Minnesota for a rented house on Duma Key, a stunningly beautiful, eerily undeveloped splinter of the Florida coast. The sun setting into the Gulf of Mexico and the tidal rattling of shells on the beach call out to him, and Edgar draws. A visit from Ilse, the daughter he dotes on, starts his movement out of solitude. He meets a kindred spirit in Wireman, a man reluctant to reveal his own wounds, and then Elizabeth Eastlake, a sick old woman whose roots are tangled deep in Duma Key. Now Edgar paints, sometimes feverishly, his exploding talent both a wonder and a weapon. Many of his paintings have a power that cannot be controlled. When Elizabeth's past unfolds and the ghosts of her childhood begin to appear, the damage of which they are capable is truly devastating.

The tenacity of love, the perils of creativity, the mysteries of memory and the nature of the supernatural -- Stephen King gives us a novel as fascinating as it is gripping and terrifying.

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
word, you wrote out the inside of the book jacket ;)

I just picked it up yesterday, but I'm currently reading You Suck by Christopher Moore. So I'll probably get to it early next week

Dre

(Insert Witty Line Here)
Mar 11, 2006
Facing a monitor.
word, you wrote out the inside of the book jacket ;)

I just picked it up yesterday, but I'm currently reading You Suck by Christopher Moore. So I'll probably get to it early next week
Oh, I've read that book, Christopher Moore is a great writer, I read that one he wrote "The Dumbest Angel", I forget exactly what it's called, but the one about Jesus' best friend, and "Bloodsucking Fiends". He's a funny guy. I'm very excited about this new King book though, I'll be starting up this bad boy tonight.

blinkdmb

Jan 12, 2005
The new Dean Koontz book was excelent as well, I finished it up in a day. I haven't been a big steven king fan in a long time, it seems like they just arn't good anymore, I did like the cell thought

blee

Will Drink Today
Dec 9, 2004
western ny
i saw it yesterday at borders and it really didn't interest me enough to pay $22 for it. I will get it in 3 months when it is lower in price. I did buy the Gunslinger Graphic novel and it fucking rocks! I really hope that they do more of these.

Dre

(Insert Witty Line Here)
Mar 11, 2006
Facing a monitor.
The new Dean Koontz book was excelent as well, I finished it up in a day. I haven't been a big steven king fan in a long time, it seems like they just arn't good anymore, I did like the cell thought
I never got into Dean Koontz, I read Phantoms because of the film, and it was a great book, and much better than the film, but other than that book, I've never read any of his other works.

Dre

(Insert Witty Line Here)
Mar 11, 2006
Facing a monitor.
i saw it yesterday at borders and it really didn't interest me enough to pay $22 for it. I will get it in 3 months when it is lower in price. I did buy the Gunslinger Graphic novel and it fucking rocks! I really hope that they do more of these.
Love the shit out of the Dark Tower series, I would love to re-read the whole thing for a 2'd time, I wasn't aware there was a graphic novel, I'll have to pick that up.

ROONT

scatological & scurrilous
Apr 22, 2005
censorship america
...Koontz is a hack( you gotta love his rug); if you like stephen king then pick up Scott Smith's The Ruins:pretty damn good...

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
I never got into Dean Koontz, I read Phantoms because of the film, and it was a great book, and much better than the film, but other than that book, I've never read any of his other works.
Intensity is the best Koontz book that I have read, you should give that a whirl.

...Koontz is a hack( you gotta love his rug); if you like stephen king then pick up Scott Smith's The Ruins:pretty damn good...
The Ruins was really good, King actually recommended that one in a article.

The problem with Koontz is he repeats himself, and has no balls whatsoever. The main characters never die, where King will kill off a beloved character just as sure as he introduces one.

Dre

(Insert Witty Line Here)
Mar 11, 2006
Facing a monitor.
The problem with Koontz is he repeats himself, and has no balls whatsoever. The main characters never die, where King will kill off a beloved character just as sure as he introduces one.
King killed off the 5 year old, not even half way into "Pet Semetary", the guy's an animal, and I love em'.

No Homo.

Linngeh....

click

Jan 5, 2005
N. Jersey
I just started it. Did SK have the beginning of this book at the end of his last one? It seems very familiar for some reason.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Aug 20, 2004
The Ruins is coming to the theaters, the trailer was shown at Cloverfield.

I also picked up Duma Key, but I have to finish Blaze first, that's the one he wrote in the 70's under the Bachmann pen name.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Aug 20, 2004
I love Koontz, but somewhere along the way he stopped writing books of a supernatural nature, and now he's writing stuff about people forced to do things they wouldn't regularly do. Still pretty entertaining, but not what I'm used to. (I do like his Odd Thomas books tho.)

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Intensity is one of the best suspense novels ever written. I could care less about anything else Koontz has ever written though, he's another James Patterson. Hell, The Good Guy could almost be a Patterson book.

Since King finished the Dark Tower books, I just can't get into the stuff he does. I tried Lisey's Story and gave up 100 pages in, it was HORRID. Which is a shame, because for about 15 years he was one of the best writers we have. Now his stories just seem to meander along.

If you wanna see the difference, get a copy of Lisey's Story, and a copy of The Shining and see how far he's fallen. I really think that finishing the Dark Tower was all he had left in him.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
I read it but kept waiting for the good part that never showed up. Icky plants,then what?

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
Oh, I've read that book, Christopher Moore is a great writer, I read that one he wrote "The Dumbest Angel", I forget exactly what it's called, but the one about Jesus' best friend, and "Bloodsucking Fiends". He's a funny guy. I'm very excited about this new King book though, I'll be starting up this bad boy tonight.
yeah, Jesus's best friend book was Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. Fucking great book

As for Koontz, check out Odd Thomas, Forever Odd...I haven't read Brother Odd yet, but if it's as good as the other ones, I'll be stoked.

Just finished You Suck, so I'll be starting this big motherfucker tomorrow

Dre

(Insert Witty Line Here)
Mar 11, 2006
Facing a monitor.
yeah, Jesus's best friend book was Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. Fucking great book

As for Koontz, check out Odd Thomas, Forever Odd...I haven't read Brother Odd yet, but if it's as good as the other ones, I'll be stoked.

Just finished You Suck, so I'll be starting this big motherfucker tomorrow
Ya, I'm starting this Bible looking mofo tonight, as well.

jsc315

AnalCunt
Dec 8, 2004
Evergreen Park,IL
my dad loves steven king and his birthday is coming up in a few months i'll prolly get him this.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
Fuck Dean Koontz...until he FINALLY finishes "Ride the Storm". Seriously...it's been ten goddamn years.

Intensity was great, though.

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
I lost all respect for Dean Koontz after 'Life Expectancy' I tried to listen to it on audio book and it made me so angry I threw the box of tapes out of the truck window.. fuck him.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
The first chapter of Duma Key is on the Borders website.

bill333

Go Screw!
Mar 23, 2005
Orange County,NY - Hudson Valley
"Affleck you the bomb in Phantoms, Yo!"

Loved Odd Thomas.

I'll have to check out "Duma Key" when it comes out on paperback.
I also want to check out Robin Cook's new book "Foreign Body"