New Video Editing Computer - Cheap As Possible?

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
Those two things may not go together, but I thought I'd ask.

I haven't messed with desktop computers in at least a decade, so I'm so out of practice with the current technologies for editing video's.

I'd rather not go Apple, unless it turns out to be price competitive. But I just shoot with a Flip and also do time lapse photography compilations and the laptop isn't cutting it.

I've been just using Windows Live Movie Maker and trying Corel VideoStudio Pro X4.

Any ideas and help is appreciated.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I know you don't want to hear this, but you may want to reconsider the Apple thing.
I'm not a Mac person, but if I were getting into any video editing then it would be with a Mac. It doesn't have to be a new machine. If you are on a budget you could get a used Mac or even build a decent Frankenmac for $600.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Mac Minis are like $560 at MacMall & Amazon, you can upgrade the ram for like $40 & use the monitor, keyboard, & mouse that you already have

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
All right, thanks for the help. It's not that I dislike Mac's, it's just hard for this old dog to learn new tricks, and my only Apple experience (besides iPods/iPads) was an Air - and that sucked wind. The Mini's look good, especially if I can find a used one. Is iMovie a necessity with a Mac?

I've started scanning barebones kits with i7 chips. I imagine the difference between an i5 and i7 chip is as it always has been - newer = better performance; but is it worth the extra $$$? Is "TurboBoost a sales pitch or a legitimate reason to investigate an i5?

How much influence does a video card vs. onboard video have when editing footage? I know they are big with gamers, but is it worth the money vs. a substantial performance boost?

What bugs me most currently is the stuttering (and I mean ridiculous amounts of drop outs/stuttering) when trying to playback edits. Can onboard graphics deal with this or is a video card a necessity to eliminate this?

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Onboard video does not have it's own RAM. It steals from your system RAM. So, if you have 8GB with onboard video, part of that 8GB (up to 2-3GB) can be used by the video. Also, onboard GPU's are generally less powerful in general than dedicated video. My new laptop has both onboard video and dedicated video. It can switch to the onboard video when I am on battery if I am just doing basic tasks so I can get longer battery life.

Check out this blog page:

http://i5-vs-i7.com/

I thought it was going to be one of those cheesy ad pages that pretends to be informative, but it has some good info specs and other info.

The vast majority of users will never see a difference in daily use between the i5 and i7 processors, however, if you are a film student or want to get into video/movie encoding as a hobby or even enter the field of graphic design, then the Hyper-Threading i7 is calling your name