New WIRED article that rips on O&A!! [rants@wired.com]

tourettesguy

Certified Labia Inspector
Oct 4, 2005
Akron, OH
This Steve Knopper fella sounds like a winner. He called them doofuses.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/startups/magazine/15-09/st_arbitron

Should we gather up some penis pictures?

Christopher Sleboda said:
Arbitron's Portable People Meter Eavesdrops on Your Musical Life

Ever wonder why those twits Opie and Anthony get to be radio stars? Blame Arbitron (and perhaps, yourself). Since the 1960s, the survey-research company has paid listeners to keep a handwritten log of every station they tune in to. Arbitron crunches the numbers, releases the ratings, and — presto! — doofus shock jocks stay on the air.

Now, with the introduction of its Portable People Meter, the company is on the verge of a radical leap into the present. The BlackBerry-sized gadget clips to listeners' clothing, eliminating the log. Participating broadcasts are encoded with an inaudible ID code, which is picked up by a sensor in the device — whether you're bopping to Kylie Minogue in your car or swaying to Air Supply in the produce aisle. "Your only job is to carry it," says Arbitron's Thom Mocarsky. "And we know when you do."

After five years of testing, the system was rolled out in New York and Houston. It'll go nationwide by 2010. Eventually Arbitron will have 70,000 deployed, all but banishing survey bias from the ratings. All this is good news for Aerosmith fans. Rock stations have been losing ground to hip hop, Spanish, and talk, but they score high on the People Meter. Unfortunately, that also means Opie and Anthony, whose main outlet is New York's K-Rock, may be with us a little longer.

WIRED said:
RANTS

Letters should include writer's name, address and daytime phone number and be sent to rants@wired.com. Submissions may be edited and may be published or used in any medium. They become the property of WIRED and will not be returned.

bluemoon

expert on funny
May 16, 2007
LaGrangeville, ny
that was by far the shortest article bashing the boys i have ever seen. if he doesnt like them so much, ya figure he could make it a smidge longer. what a tool. cant even vent his anger properly.

ceeps04

Your right, you would know
Apr 26, 2006
The District
What the fuck is this douche's point? That O&A get ratings and now that they have a device to accurately report those ratings this is a bad thing?

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
What the fuck is this douche's point? That O&A get ratings and now that they have a device to accurately report those ratings this is a bad thing?

Yes. They want to control your thoughts with their machine driven propaganda. You must OBEY! ;)

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
This is the best he's got
FUCK HIM

Arbitron's Portable People Meter Eavesdrops on Your Musical Life

Ever wonder why those twits Opie and Anthony get to be radio stars? Blame Arbitron (and perhaps, yourself). Since the 1960s, the survey-research company has paid listeners to keep a handwritten log of every station they tune in to. Arbitron crunches the numbers, releases the ratings, and — presto! — doofus shock jocks stay on the air.

Now, with the introduction of its Portable People Meter, the company is on the verge of a radical leap into the present. The BlackBerry-sized gadget clips to listeners' clothing, eliminating the log. Participating broadcasts are encoded with an inaudible ID code, which is picked up by a sensor in the device — whether you're bopping to Kylie Minogue in your car or swaying to Air Supply in the produce aisle. "Your only job is to carry it," says Arbitron's Thom Mocarsky. "And we know when you do."

After five years of testing, the system was rolled out in New York and Houston. It'll go nationwide by 2010. Eventually Arbitron will have 70,000 deployed, all but banishing survey bias from the ratings. All this is good news for Aerosmith fans. Rock stations have been losing ground to hip hop, Spanish, and talk, but they score high on the People Meter. Unfortunately, that also means Opie and Anthony, whose main outlet is New York's K-Rock, may be with us a little longer.

Shitdick is using thier names because they are the biggest thing out there, and he wants a mention and a rise out of the fans

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
Um.... let me get this straight.....because of the people meters(which is a good thing in the article), Opie & Anthony are going to be around alot longer(which is a bad thing according to the tone of the article) because more people are listening to them and those meters will show it?(Which is a bad thing according to the article)
And somebody fails to mention that their main outlet is not really K-Rock but its XM.

Well, not like he could have said Stern right?

We've come a long way.......

atxklown

Will you do me a Kindness
Jan 26, 2004
Austin TX
So is the portable Arbitron English only? Why does La Raza 104.9 still make Numero Uno in every other city? And O&A are being played in Houston now?

L

Lil Mark

My letter to the editor:

"When you were looking for an article about the portable people meter, do you really think it's appropriate to insult one specific radio show three times in a three paragraph article? I don't know the reasons behind this apparent vendetta against Opie and Anthony, but I think that if you expect readers to take the material you publish seriously, you should consider using journalists that can write an article about a new technological change in the industry without constantly hurling petty insults at a specific radio show that does not suit his tastes. If the article's author prefers to sway to Air Supply in the produce aisle, then maybe he should just not tune into the Opie and Anthony show (lest his delicate sensibilities be offended) rather than spending his time praying for the day they are no longer on the air."

DJ Donkeypunch

Mar 3, 2006
his point? He really doesn't make one..except a half assed pop shot on the boys..being that the boys always make it a point to address all the press they get both good and bad, this kid toucher may just being trying to provoke them

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
I don't understand his reasoning. What advantage do the handwritten logs give O&A that the people meter eliminates? Is he saying the ratings are flawed and it's luck?

Obi_wang

Jul 30, 2007
Oregon
this dude makes it sound like this miracle invention is going to finally point out that no one is listening to them, like right now there just on the radio and like 3 people are listening to them...what shit faced cunt

en12384

Apr 12, 2007
soooooooo

O&A = bad

Big brother device= good

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
Feb 21, 2007
TRueWDT
....."Unfortunately, that also means Opie and Anthony, whose main outlet is New York's K-Rock,....."

Although I'm sure Krock is huge for O&A, I would think that XM their biggest.

GLENN_THE_TOOL

The reward is cheese.
May 23, 2005
Well, not like he could have said Stern right?
actually no, he couldn't. to be included in an article about Arbitron ratings, you need to actually have Arbitron ratings. Stern has none. :D

doobdoob

Jul 7, 2006
Some people at Wired are O&A fans. I remember reading in Wired when the Inno first came out, they were the only place saying how great it was that they could get O&A. I think I remember other positive O&A mentions before, too.

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
Just do what I did. Post fun facts.

Edit: Holy fuck. Both Hitler and Napoleon were missing one testicle. Who knew? These facts are fun.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
Steve Knopper bio yields a clue for his motive....
http://www.knopps.com/SteveBio.html

I read this as the following: 'Steve Knooper is a music snob that still resents O and A for bringing talk to traditional rock environments. He may even find them funny, but he probably resents them for the death of rock radio. There seem to be more than a few old-school NY radio folks and DJ's who feel that way.

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
Steve Knopper bio yields a clue for his motive....
http://www.knopps.com/SteveBio.html

I read this as the following: Steve Knooper is a music snob that still resents O and A for bringing talk to traditional rock environments.
So... shouldn't he be blaming the rock stations? He looks like a 15 year old Adam Corrolla.

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
Someone tell that faggot to buy an mp3 player.

May 19, 2003
CONNECTICUT
Well, I gave him a piece of [someone]'s mind:

Is this article about Arbitron or Opie and Anthony Steve? Did Opie and Anthony pee in your cornflakes this morning Steve? You are an incompetant writer if you can't write a simple article about a little upgrade in the arbitron ratings system, without making it all about how Opie and Anthony took away your precious music radio Steve. You didn't even bother to find out if this new device will count those of us listening to Opie and Anthony on portable radio's with earbuds, Huh Steve? Go back to school and learn how to write an article Steve. Do some research slacker Steve. You are a complete idiot and need to be fired if for no other reason than you use the words: twit and doofus Steve. [Jealous Steve??] I repeat: Grrr