Newsday: Suzyn Waldman defends her on-air sobs

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
This was the article mentioned on the show today. O&A responded with that they make fun of everyone who cries in sports.
[YT]8m6CRBsWb3U[/YT]

newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spwald115408884oct11,0,964754.story
Newsday.com

Suzyn Waldman defends her on-air sobs

BY NEIL BEST
neil.best@newsday.com
October 11, 2007

Suzyn Waldman's teary report from the Yankees' clubhouse late Monday night has been a source of amusement on the radio, on the Internet and in print across the continent.

To her, though, there is nothing funny about that.

"This one's getting me angry, because I don't play this card a lot, but this is as sexist as it gets," the Yankees' radio analyst said yesterday. "What's the big damn deal? That I cried for four seconds of a 10-minute postgame?

"The idea that I can't choke up because a man I went through cancer with 11 years ago is going to lose his job and I was describing his coaches crying? It's absolutely ludicrous."

The man to whom Waldman referred is manager Joe Torre, who is unlikely to have his contract renewed. (Waldman is a breast cancer survivor; Torre has survived prostate cancer.)

After the Indians ousted the Yankees from the playoffs, Waldman briefly broke down as she described a tearful scene among coaches watching in Torre's office as the manager addressed reporters.

The audio was replayed on WFAN/660 AM, numerous blogs and elsewhere Tuesday.

"I'm not Walter Cronkite," she said. "Who are these arbiters of journalism who are ripping me on the radio?"

It was the second time in five months Waldman was criticized and/or mocked for her emotions on the air. In May, her excited reaction to Roger Clemens' announcement he would return to the team drew even more attention.

"I almost understood the Clemens one, because I did get excited and it was during the game," she said. "But who decided all this? The rules change all the time. It's, 'Oh, you're a journalist.' For Pete's sake, I am not Walter Cronkite. I'm not talking about Iraq.

"I'm talking about a man who is so loved in this city and we all know what's going to happen. I actually thought I was very poetic. I'm very surprised how it got out that smoothly."

During her report, she said, "The coaches are sitting in Torre's office and they are watching this, and the tears that you hear in my voice are coming down the faces of the coaches in that coaches room."

Waldman called the reaction "anti-female" and insisted she serves a valuable role.

"I take it seriously that I am a conduit between that locker room and fans," she said. "Every person was so busy ripping me for crying, they didn't hear what I was saying. ... If I got choked up doing it, so what?"

Copyright © 2007, Newsday Inc.

newsday.com/sports/ny-spsuzybox105408076oct10,0,3145671.story
Newsday.com

Waldman reduced to tears on air

BY NEIL BEST
neil.best@newsday.com
October 10, 2007
Oh, my goodness gracious. Suzyn Waldman did it again.

Five months after a widely mocked, over-the-top reaction to Roger Clemens' return to the Yankees, the team's radio analyst cried on the air Monday night after the team's elimination from the playoffs.

Waldman began her clubhouse report on WCBS by saying, "Well, you're going to have to bear with me here, because you know me, I cry at Cinderella, and I can't believe what's going on in there."

Then she said the mood reminded her of the aftermath of the 1995 playoff loss to the Mariners, which preceded changes including the departure of manager Buck Showalter.

"Everybody knows there is going to be a lot of changes here, and people are absolutely saying goodbye to each other and it is a very, very tough place to be right now," she said.

Waldman began by recounting what Torre said in the interview room, including, "You think it's going to last forever, and ..."

She then paused, clearly emotional, and said to partner John Sterling, "This is rough. He's your friend. He said, 'This has been the best 12 years of my life. I wouldn't have missed this for anybody."'

By then, Waldman was in tears.

"I was OK, actually, until I went into the clubhouse, and the coaches are sitting in Torre's office and they are watching this, and the tears that you hear in my voice are coming down the faces of the coaches in that coaches' room," she said on the air.

Sterling let her regroup with a soliloquy that began with "in life, unfortunately, all good things come to an end."

In May, Waldman was angry and hurt over the ridicule she endured for her excited reaction to Clemens' return. (She later screamed at WFAN's Chris Russo before a game at Shea for his treatment of her. Russo and Mike Francesa held their fire yesterday.)

The day after the Clemens incident, she told Newsday: "I am who I am. I get excited. I get emotional. That is who I am. People either hate it or love it. I can't change.

"I'm here and I'm not going anywhere and I don't apologize for who I am."

Copyright © 2007, Newsday Inc.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
FUCK HER she should die along with Joe Torre

RadioMercenary

Nov 30, 2005
where does she get anti-female from?

im serious, i dont get that part

McGuirk

doesn't overanalyze comedy radio
Jul 13, 2006
There are a TON of hack male baseball announcers. XM can't manage to carry home and away team broadcasts I suppose, but listening to some of the mo's during Mets away games makes me want to smash my radio. Waldman herself is terrible, the Yankee broadcasters don't gel that great (there's been noticable moments of silence on the radio side, WABC). She's a reporter ON (not for, though) the Yankees. You have to do a better job of concealing your emotions.

Palaver

But Enough Of This
Jul 24, 2005
goodness gracious of all the dramatic things I've ever seen.

krispykreme

Jun 23, 2005
I cut her a break. My mom is a huge yankee fan, lifetime. And she represents my mom, and her emotions around the game. She's not my idea of a sportscaster, but for my mom, she is.

pike

You will be molested
Aug 8, 2004
Cleveland, OH
It's a fucking GAME.

I'll never be able to comprehend how any fan can be so disgustingly obsessed with their team (tattoos, crying, beating up other fans, etc). I can only imagine how boring the rest of their life must be.