Newsweek Puts Picture of Michele Bachmann on Cover That Makes Her Look Crazy

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Stay classy Newsweek. Oh wait, they haven't been classy for years...

Newsweek's Michele Bachmann Cover Raises Eyebrows

First Posted: 8/8/11 08:35 AM ET
Updated: 8/8/11 12:34 PM ET

Newsweek's latest issue features a Michele Bachmann cover that's sure to stir up controversy.

The cover shows Bachmann standing against a stark blue background, looking directly into the camera with a wide-eyed expression. The headline advertising the magazine's story reads, "THE QUEEN OF RAGE."

"Rage" is a word that doesn't appear in Newsweek's actual profile of Bachmann, though author Lois Romano does criticize what she calls the "radical" nature of the Tea Party that Bachmann champions.

Conservative websites are already crying foul over the cover, with some saying it makes Bachmann look "crazy" and one blogger asking, "Can anyone really say with a straight face that the mainstream media is not totally biased against conservatives?"

It's not the first time Newsweek has faced conservative backlash for a cover. In June, the magazine portrayed Mitt Romney as one of the stars of the Broadway show "The Book of Mormon." And, of course, it drew widespread criticism for its infamous Sarah Palin cover in 2009.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/08/newsweeks-michele-bachman_n_920860.html

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
To be fair, most of her pictures make her look crazy. Maybe that is because she is most likely crazy.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I read somewhere that Newsweek was pushing the #QueenOfRage hashtag on twitter today.

The funny thing is all the "rage" I ever see is in RESPONSE to people like Bachmann - calling them terrorists, saying they are holding a gun to the country's head, etc.

Oh, and InB4 Southpaw claims that there is no bias here.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Bachmann does have a bit of that googly-eyed look to her. Judging by the cover though...yeah, Newsweek knew what they were doin. Gotta sell magazines...

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
That is a pretty brutal picture. Although, her husband does run a "Pray away the gay" camp, so there might be a little crazy in there somewhere.
Is anyone surprised that the media did it again? Remember these:

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
That is a pretty brutal picture. Although, her husband does run a "Pray away the gay" camp, so there might be a little crazy in there somewhere.
Is anyone surprised that the media did it again? Remember these:
I'll do you one better:

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Oh, and InB4 Southpaw claims that there is no bias here.
Gonna be kinda hard. If you click on the HuffPo link from the article you'll see that even 42% of their people are saying it's "not cool." :icon_eek:

N.O.W. is even defending her. I still don't see how it's "sexist" to call somebody crazy though. People make fun of Hillary's cankles and kookie facial expressions all the time, but people don't think it's sexist.

August 8, 2011
The National Organization for Women defends Bachmann against Newsweek

Published: 3:24 PM 08/08/2011 | Updated: 3:36 PM 08/08/2011
By Caroline May - The Daily Caller

One of presidential candidate Michele Bachmann’s major political opponents is defending her against what it says is blatant sexism on the part of Newsweek magazine.

Monday, the National Organization for Women (NOW) spoke out against Newsweek’s most recent cover, which features an extreme close-up of Michele Bachmann and the title “The Queen of Rage.”

“It’s sexist,” NOW president Terry O’Neill told TheDC. “Casting her in that expression and then adding ‘The Queen of Rage’ I think [it is]. Gloria Steinem has a very simple test: If this were done to a man or would it ever be done to a man – has it ever been done to a man? Surely this has never been done to a man.”

While some have pointed out that Newsweek has used unflattering photos of men such as Rush Limbaugh and John McCain on its cover, O’Neill says that is not the issue.

“Who has ever called a man ‘The King of Rage?’ Basically what Newsweek magazine – and this is important, what Newsweek magazine, not a blog, Newsweek magazine – what they are saying of a woman who is a serious contender for President of the United States of America…They are basically casting her as a nut job,” O’Neill said. “The ‘Queen of Rage’ is something you apply to wrestlers or somebody who is crazy. They didn’t even do this to Howard Dean when he had his famous scream.”

NOW is diametrically opposed to Bachmann on practically every political issue. Bachmann is pro-life, NOW is pro-choice. Bachmann wants to make significant cuts to entitlements, while NOW it pushing to protect Social Security and Medicare. The list is practically infinite. Nevertheless, NOW is rallying to her side for all women in politics.

“The main reason why we would stand up for Michele Bachmann and defend her against these kind of misogynistic attacks is we want women to run for office. Of course my job is to defeat Michele Bachmann and I intend to do so. But good women will not run for office if Newsweek magazine can do this to such a prominent politician and get away with it.”

http://dailycaller.com/2011/08/08/t...ends-bachmann-against-newsweek/#ixzz1UTzMwBku

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Gonna be kinda hard. If you click on the HuffPo link from the article you'll see that even 42% of their people are saying it's "not cool." :icon_eek:

N.O.W. is even defending her. I still don't see how it's "sexist" to call somebody crazy though. People make fun of Hillary's cankles and kookie facial expressions all the time, but people don't think it's sexist.
I never agree with the whole sexist angle. There were a couple of bitches trying to argue that the Giffords shooting was a sexist hate crime because of a note at his house where he calls her a bitch... Ugh.

I do, however, agree that for some reason it is totally acceptable to call a female politician a "whore" if she's a Republican.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
They could've picked any random picture of her and gotten the same result. Watch:

Sorry to break it to ya, but you're just not particularly photogenic.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
she has crazy eyes, i bet she is a demon in the sack.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Sorry to break it to ya, but you're just not particularly photogenic.
Or perhaps that's just what people focus on when screen capping or selecting their pictures.

I'm not a fan of hers, but it's pretty obvious they're trying to make her look as bad as possible. It's actually kind of telling that the media sees people like Bachman as a threat to their golden boy.

Anyway, I think it's pretty obvious Newsweek has fallen to near the tabloid category at this point.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i bet she likes to be gagged bound and her hair pulled while she is fucked up the ass.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
Wow, Newsweek using an unflattering picture of a female candidate.. How original...

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Although, her husband does run a "Pray away the gay" camp, so there might be a little crazy in there somewhere.
This is the first I've heard of that. Holy fuck. These people [the Bachmanns] are out of their fucking minds.

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
This is the first I've heard of that. Holy fuck. These people [the Bachmanns] are out of their fucking minds.
Yeah, some of her beliefs are a little absurd; however that doesn't make what Newsweek did right. Oh, and I'd definitely fuck this broad.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
The funny thing is the magazine is run by a woman and the story was done by one as well.