Nextel question

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
So, I have a Nextel i870 right now, and it's a piece of shit, just like every other Nextel phone ever made. My problem isn't as much with their phones as much as with their service, but anyway...

I'm on a corporate plan with 30 or so other phones. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way I could use a phone from another provider on this plan, or even if I could switch my phone/service to Sprint. I know that you can do that normally, but since I'm part of a bigger plan I'm not sure if they can do it with just mine. I know Nextel blows cock and is the only major provider that uses the Iden network or whatever it's called and that's why I'm confused. I really want a Samsung phone, but like I said, not sure what I can do.

Sorry if I'm just a retard, but any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
I have the i850 and love it

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
sprint and verizon phones cant be used on other networks even unlocked ( so i understand) only motorola makes phones with direct connect. so i think no. you can use a samsung phone from sprint but no DC

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
I have the i850 and love it
The only phone I've really liked from them is the i860, and I really really liked that one.
sprint and verizon phones cant be used on other networks even unlocked ( so i understand) only motorola makes phones with direct connect. so i think no. you can use a samsung phone from sprint but no DC
I don't even use DC a whole bunch, so that wouldn't make a huge difference to me. I just want something a little smaller than the Nextel phones

jsc315

AnalCunt
Dec 8, 2004
Evergreen Park,IL
spint/nextel blow major ass. i have had sprint for years and in the last year or so they have just gotten horrible. If i could afford to break my contract with them i would immediately. The only thing sprint has is there fast data plans.

Jun 15, 2006
Long Island
Nextel sucks, I hated them when it was just them and then even more when it became sprint, as soon as my contract was up I went to verizon, the service is like night and day, and even dealing with customer service on verizon is tons better.

AS far as your phone goes, your screwed, US cell providers lock the phones to their systems(unlike overseas you can take any phone to any provider) one thing you can do is try a hybrid sprint/nextel phone, you get sprint cell service and nextel two way service on one phone.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
Go to sprint.com and on the left side of the page you'll see a heading that says 'phones' and then under it several links, one of which is direct connect phones. There are a few models that might be more to your liking. Now before anyone says that you've got a Nextel phone and not a Sprint, I googled Nextel and it brought me to the Sprint page. The direct connect phones say 'nextel direct connect', so I'm guessing that they're interchangeable. They should be since they're on one network now.

I've had Sprint for about 8 years and I gotta say, there's been a big improvement not only in my phone service but in customer service in general. The wait time has been greatly decreased & I'm actually speaking to Americans now (they identify themselves with their names & their locations i.e. John in the Dallas Texas call center)

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
Nextel service sucks...

but I have never had a phone that can take a beating like the i530 that I still have to this day (almost 4 years now I think...)

I have dropped that fucker from a lift 30' up...

I have dropped it in the pisser, and dried it out...

I have never replaced the battery, or the antenna.

It will only hold a charge for about a day, but it is one of the toughest built phones I have ever had.

----

On the other side, my personal phone is a Razr V3m that I have had for over a year now, with Verizon... their service is better and the phone is okay, not great, not bad... just okay.

Nov 29, 2006
FL
Had Nextel for 6+ yrs now, never a problem. And yes, the i530 is indestructible (so far). As far as switching carriers, good fucking luck (that goes for any carrier/phone).:action-sm

Nov 29, 2006
FL
switch everything to sprint, they will let you
switch nextel to sprint? they are the same company.

He wants to use a samsung phone on the sprint/nextel network. It just won't work, to the best of my knowledge.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Yeah, I would switch to Sprint if I could, just because I'm sick of these bulky phones for Nextel. The only problem is that I'm not sure if I can switch just my phone/service to Sprint, or if the entire plan would have to switch to Sprint.

Nov 29, 2006
FL
Yeah, I would switch to Sprint if I could, just because I'm sick of these bulky phones for Nextel. The only problem is that I'm not sure if I can switch just my phone/service to Sprint, or if the entire plan would have to switch to Sprint.
You can have a Sprint phone, without the walkie-talkie, but you can't have a nextel phone without sprint.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
I don't give a shit about the direct connect. You're saying I can use any sprint phone with Nextel service, even though they use different kinds of networks?

Nov 29, 2006
FL
I don't give a shit about the direct connect. You're saying I can use any sprint phone with Nextel service, even though they use different kinds of networks?
As far as I can tell, they are completely compatible. I have a Nextel phone from years ago, and I have a new Sprint/Nextel phone with DC. Just switch out the SIM card.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
see, this is why I have a MIKE (Canada's version of Nextel) phone as well as a Telus PCS (think AT@T) phone. I know one will always work

Nov 29, 2006
FL
see, this is why [highlight]I have a MIKE (Canada's version of Nextel)[/highlight] phone as well as a Telus PCS (think AT@T) phone. I know one will always work
You have a Mike? That is kinda gay.

Kinda.

:haha7: :action-sm