NFL - Should We Change the Playoff Structure?

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
Should We Change the Playoff Structure?

By MJD

Wednesday, Feb 6, 2008 5:08 pm EST

A small bit of news about the possibility of shaking up the NFL playoffs was buried, somewhat ironically, by the awesomeness of the playoffs themselves. To me, that suggests that the playoffs don't need changed, but what the hell, I'm open to new ideas.

Roger Goodell wants to make it so that in the first round of the playoffs, division winners wouldn't automatically have a home game. If they played a wildcard team that had a better record, the wild card team would get the game in their own crib.

The idea is that it gives teams more incentive to play hard throughout the end of the regular season, so we don't end up seeing something like a Charlie Batch vs. Jim Sorgi matchup in Week 17.

For example, this year, the Bucs couldn't have sat on their hands in weeks 16 and 17, knowing they had their division sewn up. If they wanted to play a home game in the first round, they'd have had to take the field in Week 17 with a line-up a with a little more firepower than was brought to the table by Luke McCown, Michael Bennett, and Chad Lucas.

I'm not opposed to this idea, necessarily. It makes perfect sense, and a team with a better record probably deserves a home game.

However, if it was put to a vote, I'd vote no, and here's why: If there's a coach out there who saw the Colts and Bucs tank the end of this season, and saw the Giants put forth a gargantuan effort with nothing to play for in Week 17, and then saw what happened in the playoffs, and that coach is still dumb enough to be letting his players collect rust over the last two weeks of the season, then I'm opposed to the league stepping in and saving this coach from his own idiocy.

If this year's postseason didn't hammer home the "tanking is bad" message for a coach, then he deserves a savage beatdown in the playoffs next year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/nf...e-change-the-playoff-structure-?urn=nfl,65500
I don't agree with the writer's final conclusion, I like the idea of making home field an aspect that is in play for the play offs. It should keep the games competitive through the whole season, even when a "dominant" team may have locked up a playoff slot.

Apr 14, 2003
Eastern MD
It would be better in terms of making it more worthwhile for teams to actually play the last couple weeks of the season. But on the other hand, why fix it if it ain't broke?

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
I'm surprised Roger Goodell didn't suggest the Super Bowl be a best of 3 now. This is dumb, leave the playoffs alone as they were and have been.

only change the NFL should make is get rid of the Pro Bowl.

boardsofcanada

You're a Charcoal Briquette..ditsoon..a moolinyan
Jun 8, 2006
Absolutely not

MrQuotes

Feelin' Fine
Jan 21, 2005
this is stupid

like it or not winning your division has to count for at least something

Aug 27, 2002
Bensalem, PA via Souf Philly
EWWW... why would they want to make that change? Home field advantage doesn't mean dick any more in the NFL.

If your gonna make a change just take the 16 best teams regardless of conference.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
I like it. Not only would it cut down on meaningless games at the end of a season where teams pull out all their regular starters, it's more fair. So fucking what if you win your division? The best record should get the home game. In any case other than giving us more good games to watch at the end of a season the division winner is going to have the better record most of the time anyway. I really don't see a down side with this.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
the only change the NFL should make is get rid of the Pro Bowl.
Although I disagree with your first point, I do agree with your second. The Pro Bowl is terrible...

The only thing I thought might help it is if instead of having it Hawaii, like the Super Bowl you choose a different NFL city every year to host it. At the very least you might spark up some local interest. But even that wouldn’t fix the biggest problem, which is the players don’t want to play in it.

Jul 26, 2005
It's not a bad idea as long as its a minor change like that. They don't need to expand the amount of teams or anything like that.

I will tell you when they will make this change. They will make this change in the year when somebody wins their division with a 7-9 record and gets a home playoff game. And believe me some day it is going to happen. With just 4 teams in a division and just 6 out of 16 division games, one of these years there is going to be a division with 4 bad teams and a 7-9 or possibly even worse team is going to be a division champion. That is when they are going to make a change.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
It's not a bad idea as long as its a minor change like that. They don't need to expand the amount of teams or anything like that.

I will tell you when they will make this change. They will make this change in the year when somebody wins their division with a 7-9 record and gets a home playoff game. And believe me some day it is going to happen. With just 4 teams in a division and just 6 out of 16 division games, one of these years there is going to be a division with 4 bad teams and a 7-9 or possibly even worse team is going to be a division champion. That is when they are going to make a change.
QFT. That divison will probably be the NFC south. As for the Pro Bowl, I say get rid of it. If they don't, I suggest putting it in the middle of the season after the 8th week of the season. This way we get can extra week of the NFL season and help kill of some of that dead time in sports world between the Super Bowl and March Madness.

fkornre

Boogity Boogity Boogity...Let's go racing boys...
Nov 4, 2006
monroe twp, nj
wait till Goodell's suggestion of the SB being played in London becomes a reality...::hammer:

i also agree...get rid of the pro bowl...just a waste of time...although i do enjoy the skill competition...

Jambi

Infidel
Nov 29, 2006
FL
I almost didn't read the article because it was written by "MJD". Put your fucking name on your article, douchebag. I stopped reading when he referred to an NFL stadium as a "crib".

Having said that, I see nothing wrong with the current system.

Ronreddog

Unofficial O&A Twitter Tough Guy
May 11, 2007
Sunny Florida
QFT. That divison will probably be the NFC south. As for the Pro Bowl, I say get rid of it. If they don't, I suggest putting it in the middle of the season after the 8th week of the season. This way we get can extra week of the NFL season and help kill of some of that dead time in sports world between the Super Bowl and March Madness.
They could do the top 6 from each conference, which could result in a division winner NOT getting in, based on their record, or the scenario of a 7-9 division winner. I like the format the way it is, as people have said, winning the division should mean something.

The NHL does the top 8 in each conference, but, the 3 division winners are automatically the top 3, regardless of record. So, a shitty division winner will be seeded over much better teams, sometimes as many as 3, which kinda sucks.

I also agree about the Pro Bowl being in the middle of the season, and take away that fucking extra week of fucking hype for the Super Bowl, totally useless!

Salem

Midgets = funny
Jul 3, 2006
Buh Buh Buh Boston
Sorry. I couldnt read past the end of the 2nd paragraph when he refered to home field as "own crib". I had to stop reading.

peopleselbow

YiChen BuddhaChrist
Jan 25, 2006
Chicago
If they make any change, it should be only 15 yards for pass interference. Why the fuck should the offense get the ball at the spot of the foul. There is no guarantee that the receiver will catch it and it gives the refs too much power in the game.

Mind you, it would still be a 15 yard major penalty.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
I say change the superbowl to home stadium of the team with a better record. Then it's no longer some red carpet bull, and actual fans can start going again. "Football Tourists" wouldn't brave the weather in a place like lambo, or the northeast.

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
Actually the best thing they could do is

1. Get rid of World Bowls...I know some maybe for it, but I don't think its a good idea, but the game is expanding and they want to expose it outside the U.S.

2. Shorten the fucking Pre-Season. Thats really what the NFL should do more than anything in the Post Season...the fucking Pre Season is slowly becoming a 16 game season in itself...enough just cut it to 2 games and thats it.