Nintendo Won't Meet Wii Holiday 2007 Demand

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Gamespot

As yet unbeaten in the console sales charts since it debuted in the US last November, Nintendo's Wii has consistently outsold its competitors by healthy margins. However, far from reaching its saturation point, the Mario Factory has yet to meet demand for its console. According to Nintendo of America president and CEO Reggie Fils-Amie, that situation isn't going to change as the already-booming gaming industry heads into its busiest time of the year.

In an interview with the San Jose Mercury News, Fils-Amie unabashedly admitted that Nintendo isn't meeting the demand for its console. "We have been sold out worldwide since we launched," he boasted. "Every time we put more into the marketplace, we sell more, which says that we are not even close to understanding where the threshold is between supply and demand...Our inventory is lasting a day."

Not mincing words, the outspoken exec said that a lot of children will be left wanting this holiday season. "We're working very hard to make sure that consumers are satisfied this holiday, but I can't guarantee that we're going to meet demand," he said. "As a matter of fact, I can tell you on the record we won't."

As for why, Fils-Amie noted that it is a game of economics that it is hampering supply, not the console maker's ability to produce. "The issue is we went in with a curve that was aggressive, but the demand has been substantially more than that. And the ability to ramp up production and to sustain it is not a switch that you flick on," he explained.

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
Well I guess I will be getting one next time I see one online. Figured as much but just need that kick in the butt to bite the bullet.

SuperGolfer

I got it from a negro
Nov 6, 2004
I couldn't find a Wii to buy in all of Austin when I was there this summer.

In NYC however, I've seen people walk right into Gamestop and buy them right over the counter, unreserved and everything.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
At what point does the consumer say "fuck it" to a console that people such as myself have yet to see on shelves?

May 24, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I saw a couple at target recently.

I think it's a matter of walking a fine line between having to work to get one versus people giving up. Nintendo marketing folks are doing a damn fine job. By keeping supply just low enough you can continue to keep prices high.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
At what point does the consumer say "fuck it" to a console that people such as myself have yet to see on shelves?
I'm sure some have. But most have not, that's why you can't get one. When there is something people want, it sells.

If anyone wants one, I recommend you get it before November. Christmas is near, and it's a beast.

blee

Will Drink Today
Dec 9, 2004
western ny
I have seen a shit load in my local Walmart but they sell out by the next day. I can honestly say I have seen at least 2 on the shelves of Kmart and Walmart every week since the beginning of august. I just hope my luck continues when I get enough $ saved up to get one for my sister's family for xmas.

Dumpsterkeeper

Oct 15, 2005
I've noticed that every time I head into Nintendo World, they seem to have a decent supply of Wiis, for those in the NYC area who just need to have one.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Nintendo of America president and CEO Reggie Fils-Amie

Reggie Wire-Friend?

Hey, three years of French 1 in high school finally paid off.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
I got mine a couple of months ago when I noticed that there was one sitting on a bottom shelf in my local Target. Since then, the couple of times I've been there, there has been at least half a dozen in stock. On the website, it always shows that there is no stock at that store, so I don't know what the deal is.

I don't about you other Wii owners, but I woke up this morning with mine flashing with a message from Nintendo about a free cushioned remote jacket. The message says it will be included in the packaging with all future shipments and they will send them to all current owners who request them. They must have been getting a lot of complaints about broken remotes. I could see how it would be easy to do so.

If they have to alter the packing to accommodate this, could this be delaying the shipment?

Snake2k9

C'mon Sonnen.
Apr 20, 2004
Staten Island
I had to get my wii from costco and even then it was a bundle with Mario party 8 which was traded that day for Resident evil 4.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Well, you'd think so, wouldn't you? I thought so, but I ran it thru Babelfish to make sure and it kept coming up wire. I panicked and put wire.

Here's what I recall. Mon fils est malade. Means my son is sick. You put that thru Babelfish and that's the translation. You put fils amie and you get wire friend. I have no idea.

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama
I can get one with no trouble if anyone needs one I could get one for you and just ship it needed. Not trying to sell them, just offering.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
There are approx EIGHT Nintendo Wiis at the Wal-Mart down the road from me if anyone still can't find one around your area.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
PlayStation 3 title Monster Hunter 3 will now be a Nintendo Wii exclusive after publisher Capcom said high development costs have forced the firm to ditch Sony's next-gen console.

"Due to high development cost of titles for PS3, we have decided to switch the platform to which we release our Monster Hunter 3 title," said Katsuhiko Ichii, Capcom's managing corporate officer.

Previous games in the series, which were Sony PS2 and PSP exclusives, saw sales top 4.5 million copies.

Capcom had previously said that it planned to shift development work from the PS2 to the PS3, but this latest announcement will come as a blow to Sony as it bids to increase market share with its newly-launched 40Gb system.
Another ouch.

blee

Will Drink Today
Dec 9, 2004
western ny
Looks like Sony is going to have the same trouble Nintendo did in the last generation of consoles. Nintendo went with the fun and playabilty research and Sony went with more powerful and maybe longevity research, if they can get the games.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
That's subjective, but since it's a playing experience you can't get elsewhere you can't really compare it like 360 vs PS3.

Feb 20, 2007
Well I ask since I really never got into console based gaming. I do have a PS2, but more so because I wanted to play Scarface on the tv. Mostly I am a pc based gamer, never got used to the regular controls on a console. But from what I hear about the Wii, as you said, its a totally different gaming experience.

KakTheInfected

Mar 10, 2005
PC and Wii is a pretty good combo. 360 is basically a toned down PC and PS3 is...PS3.