Nirvana or Foo Fighters?

What band do you like more?

• Total voters

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
What band do you like better? Since the latter probably wouldn't have come around if the former stayed together.

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
Nirvana was better because of their originality. Dave Grohl kind of took the Nirvana formula of soft heavy soft heavy and made it more poppy with Foo Fighters.

Foo Fighters aren't too shabby though. I saw them open for dylan and they got a standing ovation and I'm seeing them next week too.

BusyChild04

I gotta return some video tapes.
Apr 28, 2005
Texas
they both suck a big black one.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Foo fighters fan here.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
Nirvana.

Not that I don't like Foo Fighters, I do, but I doubt I would have even given the Foo Fighters a listen if I didn't know Dave Grohl from his time in Nirvana

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
Nirvana vs. Foo Fighters

1972 Dolphins vs. 1976 Buccaneers...there's no comparison

Nirvana all the way

iSpeakEloquent

HENRIK LUUUUUUUUUUUNDQVIST
Sep 3, 2004
Smithtown, NY
im more of a nirvana fan

the poll should've been who is bigger, i think foo fighters have passed nirvana at this point

Dec 3, 2005
I don't get how anyone can like the foo fighters. So generic. And I'd dispute opie's claim of them selling more albums than nirvana by now. No way.

Dec 3, 2005
im more of a nirvana fan

the poll should've been who is bigger, i think foo fighters have passed nirvana at this point
You're insane. Smells Like Teen Spirit was HUGE. It still gets played numerous times on the radio every single day. You think 10 years from now there's gonna be a Foo Fighters song played all the time or constantly get listed in "best albums" lists? None of their stuff has any recognition from general people who don't listen to rock music like nirvana's does.

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
Slayer

The grunge movement was but a flinch in my drinking.

Dont get me wrong i have a son thanks to Nirvana........ But, I wish Nirvana made the payments.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
Smells Like Teen Spirit was HUGE.
I am one of the biggest Nirvana fans you will meet or talk to online. I think I can speak for all true Nirvana fans by saying that it is a shame that Teen Spirit is the song they will always be known for. Take a look at the track list for Nevermind alone.

# "Smells Like Teen Spirit" – 5:01
# "In Bloom" – 4:14
# "Come as You Are" – 3:39
# "Breed" – 3:03
# "Lithium" – 4:17
# "Polly" – 2:57
# "Territorial Pissings" – 2:22
# "Drain You" – 3:43
# "Lounge Act" – 2:36
# "Stay Away" – 3:32
# "On a Plain" – 3:16
# "Something in the Way" – 3:55

Breed, Lithium, Stay Away, On a Plain, all MUCH better songs. Breed is actually one of my top three Nirvana songs of all time. Another of my top three is on Nevermind as well, Something in the Way. (Third in the top three is Sliver) On my mp3 player, I have almost a gig of Nirvana tracks, many multiple versions of some songs, and yet, even though I have like 5 or 6 versions of Teen Spirit on my computer hard drive, I have 1 version of it on my mp3 player. (Live version from From the Muddy banks of the Wishkaw).

[/Nirvana Elitist Rant]

Dec 3, 2005
I am one of the biggest Nirvana fans you will meet or talk to online. I think I can speak for all true Nirvana fans by saying that it is a shame that Teen Spirit is the song they will always be known for. Take a look at the track list for Nevermind alone.

# "Smells Like Teen Spirit" – 5:01
# "In Bloom" – 4:14
# "Come as You Are" – 3:39
# "Breed" – 3:03
# "Lithium" – 4:17
# "Polly" – 2:57
# "Territorial Pissings" – 2:22
# "Drain You" – 3:43
# "Lounge Act" – 2:36
# "Stay Away" – 3:32
# "On a Plain" – 3:16
# "Something in the Way" – 3:55

Breed, Lithium, Stay Away, On a Plain, all MUCH better songs. Breed is actually one of my top three Nirvana songs of all time. Another of my top three is on Nevermind as well, Something in the Way. (Third in the top three is Sliver) On my mp3 player, I have almost a gig of Nirvana tracks, many multiple versions of some songs, and yet, even though I have like 5 or 6 versions of Teen Spirit on my computer hard drive, I have 1 version of it on my mp3 player. (Live version from From the Muddy banks of the Wishkaw).

[/Nirvana Elitist Rant]
Aneurysm rules.

That's pretty much mainstream radio though. If your favorite band wasn't very poppy but had a song always played, it's probably not going to be your favorite one by them.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
That's pretty much mainstream radio though. If your favorite band wasn't very poppy but had a song always played, it's probably not going to be your favorite one by them.
Agreed, and nothing pisses me off more than people who think Teen Spirit is the epitome of Nirvana. I much prefer some of their softer songs, ala Something in the Way. If I had to rank the three songs I mentioned in the previous post, I would rank them 1: Sliver 2: Something in the Way 3: Breed.

Musically Teen Spirit is a decent song, had any other band recorded it as their own, it may be their best song. However, Kurt wrote it, Nirvana recorded it, and eclipsed it on the very album it was released on.

Steam

May 18, 2003
Foo Fighters by far.

I never really got into Nirvana. I bought the first CD just because I like some of the songs and wanted to put them on my iPod but nothing that I listen to as much as Colour and the Shape.

No homo, but I'd totally blow Dave Grohl.

NikkorTheMonk

Apr 26, 2005
Dave was the talent in Nirvana, Dave is the talent in Foo Fighters. Curt got the attention just cause he was the front man. Not downpllaying the importance of Nirvana. But I guarentee it was dave saying, "Lets try this" Or "Let do it this way."

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
Dave Grohl rocks. I know it's not really a band, but more of a solo project Probot was pretty kick ass. For my taste blows both Nirvanna and Foo Fighters away. Anyway with this Probot project Grohl wrote all the music and performed most of the music himself. Really a kick ass project for metalheads and that went under the radar for me at the time.

Probot feat. Lemmy.

[YT]T09hBGGpSjk[/YT]

-------

Probot feat. Max Cavalera (Sepultura / Soulfly)

[YT]kM8PVz8gUfA[/YT]

Southtown

Aug 10, 2004
You know, being in two successful bands as Nirvana and Foo Fighters I bet Dave Grohl must have around 40-50 thousand in the bank.

jimmyjimjimz

Wackbag's version of The Miz
Aug 12, 2005
Rockaway Beach, NYC
I was in 5th grade when Kurt Cobain died, and I'll admit, I never heard of him or Nirvana until after he died. I grew up listening to the Foo Fighters, so that's why I like he Foo Fighters better. Plus, Dave Grohl is a music genius.

iSpeakEloquent

HENRIK LUUUUUUUUUUUNDQVIST
Sep 3, 2004
Smithtown, NY
You're insane. Smells Like Teen Spirit was HUGE. It still gets played numerous times on the radio every single day. You think 10 years from now there's gonna be a Foo Fighters song played all the time or constantly get listed in "best albums" lists? None of their stuff has any recognition from general people who don't listen to rock music like nirvana's does.
foo fighters songs from 10 years ago are still on the radio. Best albums? no cuz albums don't matter anymore. I'm sorry but if Kurt was still alive he would be in the same category as every other band member from that time and the time before him. People would be complaining that he either sold out to something or he just isn't good anymore. I love Nirvana and I always will but you have to admit they are a bit overrated.

boardsofcanada

You're a Charcoal Briquette..ditsoon..a moolinyan
Jun 8, 2006
Not even close...Nirvana.

Great band but the bands that influenced nirvana are far better (stooges, pixies, sonic youth, velvet underground, neil)

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Not even close...Nirvana.

Great band but the bands that influenced nirvana are far better (stooges, pixies, sonic youth, velvet underground, neil)
I was surprised to hear that Michael Stipe of R.E.M. was one of Kurt's biggest influences. In fact, R.E.M.'s "Automatic For The People" cd was in his player when he offed himself. No wonder he did it...that album is uber-depressing.

It's a tough call for me. I love both bands. But, there really aren't many Nirvana songs that I don't like. While with Foo Fighters, they're mostly hits, but there are some misses. So I would give the slight edge to Nirvana. Oh and yeah, Aneurysm is a great song.