OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

No iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Wackbag Tech Support' started by Dicktator, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Dicktator

Dicktator Frozen Meatbals 4life

How very disappointing that there is no new iPhone 5. Only a a iPhone 4s with some added features. Just from the quick checking of twitter it seems this was a joke of an announcement. I was all in to purchase a new phone w/64g. So now i will go with my previous upgrade plan. Wait for a new design or when i break the glass. Who makes a glass fucking front and back phone. And Sprint gets the iPhone too.

2. Hoffman

Hoffman Guess who's back? Hoffman's back

...and the first product release of the Tim Cook era falls flat...on...its...face. Wow, talk about disappointing. I've had all the features iOS 5 is getting on my Android for a year and a half. Oh well, hopefully my iPad won't have any issues with it.

3. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

I have a 3gs now and am planning to pick up the new 4s. After working in the tech field for 11 years, I've learned to NEVER purchase the first generation of anything.

Also, it's pretty easy to replace the glass on a 3gs and 4. I've done it for my phone and the phones of a few friends. I get my parts here:
    http://www.directfix.com/

They have instructional videos to show you how to do it. If you are planning to buy a whole new phone anyway, it's worth a shot to try doing it yourself

4. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

I actually like the glass. I'm known for scratching the hell out of my phones, devices, etc. I've got a case that my iPhone 4 sits in (so the screen is completely unprotected)...so I shouldn't be susceptible to scratches on the back and there aren't any. But there are no scratches on the front either. It's constantly been in the same pocket with my keys too, and nothing.

With that all said however...I did drop it while on vacation a few months ago. And the damn thing cracked just below the home button.

It is a bit disappointing about no iPhone 5. I'm not up for an equipment upgrade until April, but I was hoping for something better.

I looked into replacing the front glass on my iPhone 4, and I hear it's not very easy. I saw the instructions and got scccaaaaared.

5. Bill Lehecka

Bill Lehecka The Fat Horse v. 2.0
    Donator

You know who's happy about the iPhone 4S? Case Designers. Another year of sales without upgrading their factories with new molds!

This is the 3GS all over again. I'm going to guess that they're saving the iPhone 5 for the second generation LTE chip. (What's that?)

6. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

The front glass on the 4 is somewhat involved, but not impossible. The hardest part is making sure all the tiny ribbon cables are fully seated on re-assembly. On a 3gs, the front glass pops out with 2 screws and 3 ribbon cables. The first time I did it, one of the ribbons wouldn't seat right and all i got was a white screen. Scared the shit outta me. When I popped it open again, that cable was undone. After the first time, I was able to do a 3gs in about 15 minutes or less. The problem with the 4 is that you gotta go in from the back of the phone. You basically end up disassembling the whole freaking thing. (just like doing the battery on the 3gs) It's scary, but not impossible at all. Try watching the videos on that site. It may make you more comfortable... or scare you even more

7. TrybalRage

TrybalRage Registered User

I was a little bummed about no iPhone 5, but in reality the 4s has every feature I wanted, except for a nifty new form factor. So it's not like we're getting screwed on features, with the exception of a larger screen. But my current 3G screen size has never been an issue for me.

8. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

I think this is a major mistake for Apple. Google is about to announce the new Nexus device next week (supposedly) as well as Ice Cream Sandwich, and there are a shitload of BADASS android phones about to flood the market. The Galaxy SII is already out and is better than the just-announced iPhone 4s on every aspect besides pixel density. The new Nexus phone is rumored to be the first phone with an HD screen (and it's not the size of a postage stamp like the iPhone).

9. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the iPhone still doesn't have 4G.

10. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Not only that, but their hot new feature (Siri) is something that Vlingo has be doing on Android for awhile now.

11. metallikat87

metallikat87 Well-Known Member
    It's My Birthday!

4G doesnt mean anything to anybody does it? From what ive heard there isnt even necessarily a difference between what they call 4G and what they call 3G

12. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Compared to the rumors, they might as well have saved whatever R & D money and just diverted the 4g phones into new boxes and sold them. What happened to my LTE, 3D display with no home button and world phone capabilities? Apple's pretty much become a joke at this point.

13. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

I know they pretty much gutted the iPhone 4 and totally revamped the guts, so why not make a little design change to the case and call it an iPhone 5?

14. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

Fixed

15. Hoffman

Technically the AT&T version does. It has an HSPA+ radio in it.

16. ruckstande

ruckstande Posts mostly from the shitter.

The iPhone really is turning into a lackluster piece of hardware. It's becoming the new Nokia.

17. DanaReevesLungs

DanaReevesLungs I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
    Donator

Have you ever compared 4G and 3G speeds? There's a huge difference. I have a 4G aircard with Verizon.

4G speed I got in Atlanta
    [​IMG]

3G speed in Harrisonburg, Virginia
    [​IMG]

18. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

"Technically," that's 3.5G. :action-sm

You tell me. This is from Hamada's on Flamingo back in August.

[​IMG]

19. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

I still thing the PS3 is the best gaming platform of all time and the XBOX fucking sucks balls.... oh wait.... wrong fanboy argument

20. Aaron Burrito

No way, coke is shit, Pepsi rulez!

21. lajikal

lajikal Registered User

No fuckin' way! I can't stand pepsi.

22. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

I've always been a "tastes great" guy

23. Hoffman

Well, so is LTE for that matter.