OpieRadio Logo
Anthony Cumia Show Logo
Jim Norton Logo

No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'Computer and Console Gaming' started by BIV, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Guilty Spark

Guilty Spark It's freeing and refreshing

The best update would be one that turns the game into what we saw in the '14 E3 trailer.

2. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

Not sure what is in that trailer that we don't have now.

3. crippledalbino

crippledalbino The God of 42nd Street
    Donator

Wasn't there some sort of badass gigantic worm monster thing? Where's that?
    Alright. I'll give it another try at some point, but this game makes me flinchy now. I couldn't get into it with the last update, and while I see a bunch of shit that looks promising, I've been burned too many times by this goddamn game.

4. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

God this is sooooo Simcity 5. I'd never been so angry.

#479 Mags, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  5. crippledalbino

crippledalbino The God of 42nd Street
    Donator

Well, and I'm already out the sixty fuckin' bucks, so I may as well try it with new content, but it's really fucking irritating to get your hopes up, then show up and it's el-garbagio.

6. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

Of course check it out. There may be enough change to make you like it. I've bought pc games that were "meh" but with a few mods became truly great.

crippledalbino likes this.
  7. Guilty Spark

Guilty Spark It's freeing and refreshing

Well to be fair I haven't played it in a long time. In that trailer though, that planet felt like an actual ecosystem with animals interacting with one another. The Brachiosaurus like animals just feeding in the water, the rhino thing plowing through the trees chasing a herd of gazelles, I didn't get the vibe of anything like that on any of the planets I visited. Fallout 4 smacked any interest I may have had in building bases so that doesn't do it for me. Ditto farming. Has the AI improved at all? Do the animals still just mill about or beeline for you if they're predators?
    I actually had a good time w the 30 or so hours I spent w the original game, it just started to feel like a thankless loop. One day I put it down and never went back.

8. BIV

Base building is all for a purpose. Building science stations, storage, the gardening, that sort of thing. You can warp there and back from any space station (yes, your ship follows)

Animals attack each other all the time and now seem to have an awareness radius.

The biggest thing is that feeling of the loop is gone. There is just too much to do to ever feel monotonous.

I need to get me some of those sexy suit upgrades.....

9. Floyd1977

Floyd1977 Registered User

Interesting. May need to fire this up again, but does it mean I have to essentially relearn the whole game?

And I'll give Hello Games credit for not socking players for this by releasing it as paid DLC (although I suppose many will argue that this is what the game should have been day one)

10. BIV

It won't be a complete re-learn, but definitely a learning curve. Most of the recipes have changed and there are three times the number of elements.

The story path is also significantly different. The addition of side quests is a godsend.

My biggest complaint right now is only having one save slot. I'd like to see how it plays out from the beginning but the thought of losing a half billion in investments makes me shudder (though most my gear was nerfed after the updates. None of the gear or ships had classes or stats when I was playing hard core.

It does mean that my ship is now impossible under the current RG. A fighter that is only C class would never have 29 cargo spaces. That's why we now have multiple ships.

11. BIV

Oh and ship controls are totally different. You have far more nuanced control that changes between ships...and you can actually low orbit dogfight and even *GASP* run into the ground.

12. Floyd1977

So I take it it's a bit more interactive now. One of the things that was good and at the same time not so good was the isolation and sterility. If you were trying to simulate what it might be like to be galactic explorer, then bravo, but at the same time, it was a pretty cold, lonely experience.

Out of curiosity, about how big would this next update be. Initially, it was a ridiculously small 6 GB install but I've got to imagine that the all the additional functionality, graphical improvements and the addition quests and a story have to be ampimg up the size of the game

13. NotSoFast

NotSoFast Registered User

I downloaded new on Steam this morning. 5.5GB for the whole game if I remember correctly.

14. Floyd1977

So they actually reduced the size of the game? Must have originally had a lot of unnecessary code.

15. NotSoFast

I'm not sure. I never had the original game.

16. BIV

Steam must be a smaller file size. Between the game, updates and save file, I'm at 11.69.

17. Stig

Stig America's Most Beloved Entertainer

I decided to go back into the game after this update just to see what it was all about. I found the first floor of my base about half underground. Pure stubbornness for having paid for this thing and invested so many hours is the only I haven't taken it off my PS4.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

18. BIV

Yeah, regeneration fucked our bases. Currently looking for a new home planet. The one I'm at turned into a rocky wasteland.

Stig likes this.
  19. Floyd1977

Wanted to check this out. However I moved recently, unpacked my games a few weeks ago but guess which was the only PS4 game that mysteriously went missing from my shelf.

20. Stig

If you move somewhere else, can you move all of your stuff, or do you lose some of it?

21. NotSoFast

I bought it on Steam the other day. Tried it for just short of two hours. Got a refund. So fucking boring. Walking at a snail's pace aimlessly hoping to find some mineral.

22. BIV

ADD much?

And you obviously suck at jetpacking.

23. BIV

I don't know for sure. I plan to transfer everything to my freighter first.

24. NotSoFast

Watched people play on Twitch the other day. Looked boring as fuck. Search for rocks. Fly to new planet. Look for more rocks. Talk to someone who looks just like the guy from the last planet. He sends you to find more rocks. Build a base. Go to yet another planet.

Stig likes this.
  25. Stig

Yeah... I'll never have enough money for a freighter. I can't even make fucking glass yet.