No Man's Sky

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
The ARG has also been heating up, but that thing is so deep now that I have no idea what is going on.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Should I buy this game on the cheap yet?
I'm a fanboy, so my opinion is tainted.

That being said, wait for the new update.

Despite the bad press and the lack if initial content, it's still one of the most impressive achievements in gaming. And the vast majority of the issues have been fixed. Many more should be fixed in the next update.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I'm a fanboy, so my opinion is tainted.

That being said, wait for the new update.

Despite the bad press and the lack if initial content, it's still one of the most impressive achievements in gaming. And the vast majority of the issues have been fixed. Many more should be fixed in the next update.
When's the update coming out?

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Hmmm... gonna see if I can find a copy on the cheap

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
July 24 is the Xbox Nextrelease date.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
The meta game is in full effect right now.

I got this email today:

Important message for Citizen Scientist
[ xxxxxxxxxx ]
CSD ID xxxxx​

All members are invited to install the Uplink SATCOM-70 app and gather key telemetry around the world. You can access the app on desktop, tablet or mobile. On mobile, you will also see detailed instructions on how to correctly install the app. Please be sure to use Chrome on Android and Safari on iOS.

URL: uplink.satcom-70.com

In the Uplink app, activate the geolocalization and click the ‘Gather Data’ button. If you can, gather the data when the satellite is as close as possible to your location. It's important to note that we will validate your signal strength but we DO NOT save your location.
When the message "Device successfully synced" appears onscreen and the red dot is blinking, you have completed your task. We will contact you with further instructions.

You can track the satellite in real time on our SATCOM dashboard:
URL: www.satcom-70.com

Every time a Citizen Scientist gathers telemetry data through the Uplink app, it is added to a database that these engineers are using to repair corrupted subroutines and restore network stability. This helps the engineers at Myriad to diagnose and repair the global network.

It should take about a week to gather enough data, but it could take less time depending on how many Citizen Scientists across the world help us.

Earlier this year, a company calledW/ARE tech revealed a new headset promising to harness the power of dreams for productivity, relaxation, and gaming. Files were intercepted by their development community at PAX East in Boston this past April.

These files pointed to a W/ARE developer, Arnaud Lacours. Not long after these files were intercepted, one of W/ARE’s research & development staff was reported missing.
The W/ARE development community retraced his footsteps from Montreal to Paris to London, meeting with representatives of the company in each location.​

The Atlas Foundation was called in to assist W/ARE with technical issues they were beginning to experience. Because W/ARE hosts some of their software on the Myriad satellite network, their difficulties began to have impacts on Myriad, which in turn affected some of our own projects. Notably, Loop16 has suffered severe damage to its communication and pre-cognitive subroutines.

Through the incredible work of our CSD community, thishologram was unlocked
through the Mercury process on May 26th.

In order to repair the Myriad satellite network, we will need to work as a team.

We are now preparing for a critical new phase of this project, which will need extensive support from the Citizen Science Division. You can collaborate with other Citizen Scientists and follow for updates on our progress using these resources:

Discussion: Reddit NMS
Forums: Atlas CSD
Ressources: Game Detectives
Live Chat: Discord
Unsubscribe from project wakingtitan

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I haven't watched this yet. Dude has horrid teeth.

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Got a copy of the game coming. No idea what any of this means.

Dec 12, 2007
It means its time to do busy work. Cause that's all the game is.

Mine iron, mine carbon, mine more iron, mine more carbon, get on the ship, get off the ship, find an alien fragment, uninstall the game, pick up a gun, shoot yourself. Congrats! You just learned a new alien word from your brain matter.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
It means its time to do busy work. Cause that's all the game is.

Mine iron, mine carbon, mine more iron, mine more carbon, get on the ship, get off the ship, find an alien fragment, uninstall the game, pick up a gun, shoot yourself. Congrats! You just learned a new alien word from your brain matter.
Haven't played since launch, have you?

Don't sweat it. It's just for the uber nerds. They have been running this meta game since the first update. I don't understand most of it either.

It's supposed to be back story, which is happening now in real time, for the game that happens in the near future.

Hello Games has gone so far as to hire actors that meet with fans IRL.

Dec 12, 2007
Haven't played since launch, have you?
I pirated it a couple months ago to see if anything changed.

Ship controls easier and its a bit more straight forward as what to do. Beside that I was already tired a day after installing it because I realized it was just one big grind.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I pirated it a couple months ago to see if anything changed.

Ship controls easier and its a bit more straight forward as what to do. Beside that I was already tired a day after installing it because I realized it was just one big grind.
It's open world Stardew Valley in space. Either you get into those games or you don't.

Dec 12, 2007
It's open world Stardew Valley in space. Either you get into those games or you don't.
Love the Valley. Hate the Sky.

After playing Subnautica its hard to look at No Man's Sky and not say "this is what you should have done".

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Game arrived today.

No idea what the fuck I'm doing.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Game arrived today.

No idea what the fuck I'm doing.
Follow the instructions to fix the broken parts of your ship. Once you launch off the planet, the story will kick in.

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I got to the space station before stopping last night.

The lack of proper tutorial made figuring out things a PITA. Don't know who Sentinels are or why they're attacking me. Is there any benefit to making local wildlife happy? What do I do with all this shit I'm carrying?

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I got to the space station before stopping last night.

The lack of proper tutorial made figuring out things a PITA. Don't know who Sentinels are or why they're attacking me. Is there any benefit to making local wildlife happy? What do I do with all this shyit I'm carrying?
It's purposely obtuse.

Happy wildlife poop rare materials.

Sentinels are supposed to be a mystery but each planet has a sentinel hostility level. Generally there is an amount you can fuck with fauna and flora in one area before the sentinels fuck with you.

Don't fight them, if you can help it, until you upgrade your gear.

Raw materials are used for building upgrades, which you need blueprints for. Blueprints can be found, purchased, given or awarded.

Last edited:

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
If you have an item that is an item name, preceded by the name of an alien race, such as "Vy'keen dagger", then you either give to aliens in exchange for a reward or you can use them to open monoliths or portals. You can also sell them for cash.

Items with graphics that show a flat panel are generally used to recharge your shields, either your personal shields or the shields for your ship. They can also be used to craft other items.

TIP: When you decide to build a base, try to pick a base on the planet closest to the space station. That will make travel much easier. It's also good to have a temperate climate and a low Sentinel hostility.

It's also helpful to have it close to a portal, but that's optional and really a late-game imperative. You can always move your base again later.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Every major update and the changes since release.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Christ. I have 224 hours and 44 minutes in this game.

Is that a lot?