No Man's Sky

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
@crippledalbino

No thanks. I'm sure I'll get my own on my ps4 file.

Ever find copper? Start base building yet? Have you started system hopping?

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
@crippledalbino

No thanks. I'm sure I'll get my own on my ps4 file.

Ever find copper? Start base building yet? Have you started system hopping?
No, didn't have a chance to play yesterday. I'll probably put a couple of hours in tonight and hope to make some decent progress to where I feel like it's something different than what I was dealing with before.

BIV

No, didn't have a chance to play yesterday. I'll probably put a couple of hours in tonight and hope to make some decent progress to where I feel like it's something different than what I was dealing with before.
You're not really even out of the tutorial until you have jumped a few systems and started base building.

The buried treasure is a great addition. I dug up an ancient ruin and got 140k worth of goods. Nice cash for early game.

Also, be sure to scan the Hell out of flora and fauna. Discoveries you log score you nanites for blueprints and upgrades.

Also, try to keep 100 nanites on hand to give to the holographic looking travellers at space stations (you'll see). Essential for finding glyphs. (Later game stuff, but good to start ASAP.

Stig

Make America Gay Again.
I'll send old B_Brian over to you then, you can find out what it's like to be 'griefed.'
I think that every open world multiplayer game needs a setting that is just "Interact With Other Players? Y/N."

BIV

Okay, went home at lunch and found some copper, so I made a computer and I think a piece of floor before I came back to work.

What the fuck with these eggs?
They have monsters in them. I've seen two types, Humming and another. They look like the egg from Aliens. I've seen them, so far, underground, at corrupted buildings and on fungus worlds.

Shot the humming eggs outside a corrupted facility (just to see) and monsters poured out. I jumped in my ship and flew away. :)

BIV

Made my first million last night. Making money is much easier now (for quick cash, keep talking to aliens until they offer you "Barter: 1000 units".)

Got my first freighter. You get one for free after warping a few times. You will warp into a space battle. Help kill the pirates and you will be offered the ship. Always save before warping in case you want a different ship (styles change with the system race.)

Sending frigates on missions = easy cash.

BIV

Some more tips. I'm learning a lot of this as I go.

Get the advanced laser, A.S.A.P. That should be your #1 priority.

If you see "subterranean artifact", don't dig straight at it. They are likely Vortex cubes and extremely fragile (and about 15k units each). Dig to the side and walk through the cave toward it. Watch for the gas pods and possible eggs.

Someone at Hello Games thinks they are clever. Looking for Cobalt? Think Kobold. Small pointy rocks in caves.

@crippledalbino As we discovered......Elements like copper and pyrite can be confusing and frustrating. Sometimes you arrive at the spot and they are just not there......that's because they are in a subterranean cave.

Harvesting some rare items, like Gravitino Balls and Albumen Pearls, make sentinels go ape shit. Make sure you are ready to fight, run away or hide in a building.

When buying upgrades, the actual upgrades can be expensive (materials wise) to install. Tech modules are a bitch to get a hold of without buying for about 60K. Those vendors also sell modules which are cheaper and can be installed immediately, but are one use only. As a side note, dismantling those can sometimes score you a tech module.

Putting upgrades next to their base tech adds extra bonuses. So keep the tech/inventory layout in mind when buying a ship or multi-tool. If the pulse drive is isolated in a spot you can't put upgrades next to, you might want to reconsider.

Freighter base components generally require Titanium, gold and silver....all of which you can mine from asteroids.

You can send cargo to your freighter from anywhere, but you can only retrieve it when you are on board.

There are several different versions of each ship design in each system. They are often dramatically different in performance, despite being visually identical.

Don't forget to snag some guild side missions from space stations. Some are a pain but some are easy, like "Scan 3 flora". Easy nanites or sell-able items for very little work. The more you do, the better missions unlock. Some aliens will give you random missions as well.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Some more tips. I'm learning a lot of this as I go.

Get the advanced laser, A.S.A.P. That should be your #1 priority.

If you see "subterranean artifact", don't dig straight at it. They are likely Vortex cubes and extremely fragile (and about 15k units each). Dig to the side and walk through the cave toward it. Watch for the gas pods and possible eggs.

Someone at Hello Games thinks they are clever. Looking for Cobalt? Think Kobold. Small pointy rocks in caves.

@crippledalbino As we discovered......Elements like copper and pyrite can be confusing and frustrating. Sometimes you arrive at the spot and they are just not there......that's because they are in a subterranean cave.

Harvesting some rare items, like Gravitino Balls and Albumen Pearls, make sentinels go ape shit. Make sure you are ready to fight, run away or hide in a building.

When buying upgrades, the actual upgrades can be expensive (materials wise) to install. Tech modules are a bitch to get a hold of without buying for about 60K. Those vendors also sell modules which are cheaper and can be installed immediately, but are one use only. As a side note, dismantling those can sometimes score you a tech module.

Putting upgrades next to their base tech adds extra bonuses. So keep the tech/inventory layout in mind when buying a ship or multi-tool. If the pulse drive is isolated in a spot you can't put upgrades next to, you might want to reconsider.

Freighter base components generally require Titanium, gold and silver....all of which you can mine from asteroids.

You can send cargo to your freighter from anywhere, but you can only retrieve it when you are on board.

There are several different versions of each ship design in each system. They are often dramatically different in performance, despite being visually identical.

Don't forget to snag some guild side missions from space stations. Some are a pain but some are easy, like "Scan 3 flora". Easy nanites or sell-able items for very little work. The more you do, the better missions unlock. Some aliens will give you random missions as well.
Thanks for the tips. I'm back on the fucking copper hunt. I made my first little wood square base house and now I've gotta craft the interdimensional thrusters or whatever and they're like 'Yeah, just pick up 250 copper." So fuck. Back on the old copper circuit.

BIV

Made my first million last night. Making money is much easier now (for quick cash, keep talking to aliens until they offer you "Barter: 1000 units".)

Got my first freighter. You get one for free after warping a few times. You will warp into a space battle. Help kill the pirates and you will be offered the ship. Always save before warping in case you want a different ship (styles change with the system race.)

Sending frigates on missions = easy cash.

Also, feed the animals. They can lead you to, or poop, goodies.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
I'll watch this when I have the time.
That was another thing that pissed me off - I had to make 90-thousand something for processors so it goes "Sell materials or visit the Mission Board" or somesuch, then it tells me to learn about said board on its own entry, which I could not find in the guide. Maybe that's more advanced than I should be right now, but it irritates me when they tell me to check a thing that isn't there.
But thanks for the video, will take a look.

BIV

I'll watch this when I have the time.
That was another thing that pissed me off - I had to make 90-thousand something for processors so it goes "Sell materials or visit the Mission Board" or somesuch, then it tells me to learn about said board on its own entry, which I could not find in the guide. Maybe that's more advanced than I should be right now, but it irritates me when they tell me to check a thing that isn't there.
But thanks for the video, will take a look.
The mission board is the alien on the station that gives you missions. The name is a holdover from previous versions.

90k isn't bad. Barter 1000u to a few aliens, open some green cargo containers and sell what you find/get.

BIV

From Sean Murrays twitter. He likes to retweet players' pics

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
I think I gotta tap out. I played for two fucking hours tonight and got 22 out of 250 copper. I’m stuck in a galaxy with minimal copper, and all I can find is fucking sodium. Sodium’s Na, as in “Do you want to be stuck searching for Sodium?” “Na.”

Maybe owning a fleet of freighters is great fun. I can’t spend one more minute hunting for the copper this shitty game needs to let me move on from this shitty system, one planet, by the way, permanently discovered by B_Brian386 so I get to see his stupid name while I go planet to planet to find a place to park while I walk thousands of miles to find more fucking sodium instead of copper. Fuck this fucking game.

BIV

I think I gotta tap out. I played for two fucking hours tonight and got 22 out of 250 copper. I’m stuck in a galaxy with minimal copper, and all I can find is fucking sodium. Sodium’s Na, as in “Do you want to be stuck searching for Sodium?” “Na.”

Maybe owning a fleet of freighters is great fun. I can’t spend one more minute hunting for the copper this shitty game needs to let me move on from this shitty system, one planet, by the way, permanently discovered by B_Brian386 so I get to see his stupid name while I go planet to planet to find a place to park while I walk thousands of miles to find more fucking sodium instead of copper. Fuck this fucking game.
I can't believe you are having so much trouble.

What kind of planet is it?

And, stupid ass question, you are searching for it using the visor, right?

I wish I could say it's your fault, but bum planets do happen.

At least start a game in creative so you can play for a bit without needing resources.

Maybe I can drop in and just give you the copper you need.

I'll transfer my ps file to Next and get everything situated so I can give you a hand, if you want. I wanted to get that file up and running anyway.

BIV

There are only two reasons I'm posting this.

BIV

Man, the PS4 version is a bit glitchy

Last edited:

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Okay, it only took me two additional sittings to get the fucking copper I needed. So now I've finally warped to a new galaxy.
I'm so fucking close to shutting this game down. It was annoying and long as I walked 500 u's at a time looking for fucking deposits. Found enough stuff to keep myself alive, but there were times when I literally was hoping I'd just die at the bottom of some ravine.
If this game doesn't get fun in a hurry, I'm turning it off for good.

BIV

Okay, it only took me two additional sittings to get the fucking copper I needed. So now I've finally warped to a new galaxy.
I'm so fucking close to shutting this game down. It was annoying and long as I walked 500 u's at a time looking for fucking deposits. Found enough stuff to keep myself alive, but there were times when I literally was hoping I'd just die at the bottom of some ravine.
If this game doesn't get fun in a hurry, I'm turning it off for good.
"Turn in" all your scanned shit on the discoveries page to score nanites and get yourself some upgrade for your gear (advanced mining laser, if you don't have it.)

I suggest alternating between following the Atlas path and following the Apollo storyline, which will lead you to base building.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
"Turn in" all your scanned shit on the discoveries page to score nanites and get yourself some upgrade for your gear (advanced mining laser, if you don't have it.)

I suggest alternating between following the Atlas path and following the Apollo storyline, which will lead you to base building.
And which one, according to your experience, is going to present me with a good chance at 'fun.' Because so far, it has not been. So far it's the same game of wandering around on a planet looking for something specific, but with extra-added complication of a more diverse world meaning you can't get to the mandatory shit so hot. It's been a grindy drag and I haven't even 'started' the game yet.

BIV

It's pretty self-explanatory, but here is a quick base building tutorial.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/30...computer-blueprints-old-base-gone-error-fixed

Upgrade your suit whenever you can. Storage is gold. You'll also want to look at small weapon and ship upgrades.

EASY MONEY

Signal boosters are your best friend for finding shit. "Look" at the little blue and orange cubes or flat circles you see in space stations to get location data (also found in the wild as creepy, glowing red cubes)

use that data in the signal booster to find monoliths. When there, ask the monolith for historical data.

That will send you to a spot where you dig up three keys to unlock a box.

Inside is an item worth between 600k-20 mil....all for about 30 minutes of work.

BIV

And which one, according to your experience, is going to present me with a good chance at 'fun.' Because so far, it has not been. So far it's the same game of wandering around on a planet looking for something specific, but with extra-added complication of a more diverse world meaning you can't get to the mandatory shit so hot. It's been a grindy drag and I haven't even 'started' the game yet.
Things are not nearly as painful once you are fully spaceborn (which you are) and have a base. I have two pages of missions
(Get them at space stations) in my que right now not counting the grinding I want to do for specific gear.

After warping a few times you will get in a space battle and are offered the freighter for free after you win. That improves your quality of life as well.

I'd say follow the Atlas path for at least the first couple systems.

Scan everything. Talk to every alien.

But, I don't want to mislead you, the game is a grind loop. It's all about "better". Better gear, better and more ships, bigger and better base.

BIV

One last thing. At the beginning you are always out of things because you have no storage and no stockpiles.

Copper for instance, I mine whenever I see it. So I almost always have between 100 and 500 in storage.

And, now that your ship is working, you can always tell a shitty planet to fuck off and just leave...or just stay long enough to get what you need.