No Man's Sky

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
18 quintillion? How is that even possible...

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
This may be gone by the time you click it. It was released early by accident and the quality isn't good:

NM: Already gone.

BIV

Clean/official version of the Fight trailer:

Just gorgeous looking.

BIV

All about the animation

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
I haven't anticipated a game this much in a long time.

BIV

Dutch Company Claims No Man's Sky Uses Its 'Superformula' Without Permission
Share.
Dutch company Genicap says it owns the license on No Man's Sky's 'Superformula'.
By Lucy O'Brien

A Dutch company is claiming Hello Games is using its 'superformula' without permission in the developer's upcoming game, No Man's Sky.

The Dutch Telegraph (as picked up by NeoGaf and confirmed with Google Translate) reports that Tilburg-based company Genicap owns the 'superformula' Hello Games is using to generate the billions of planets in No Man's Sky. The kicker? Hello Games reportedly doesn't have a license to use it.

“We haven't provided a license to Hello Games,” Genicap's Jeroen Sparrow told the publication. "We certainly don't want to stop the launch, but if the formula is used we'll need to have a talk.”

According to Sparrow, Genicap has reached out to Hello Games multiple times without response.

This isn't the first time a 'superformula' has been mentioned in association with No Man's Sky. In an interview with The New Yorker last year, Hello Games' Sean Murray openly said that an equation, published in 2003 by Belgian plant geneticist Johan Gielis, was the key to unlocking the unique procedural generation in the game. Gielis called this equation his 'superformula', a term which Murray adopted.

However, as noted by a NeoGaf sleuth, Gielis is the Chief Research Officer at Genicap - which you can see on its 'About Us page - and has owned a patent on the formula since 2000.

We'll update this story as it develops.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Dutch Company Claims No Man's Sky Uses Its 'Superformula' Without Permission
Share.
Dutch company Genicap says it owns the license on No Man's Sky's 'Superformula'.
By Lucy O'Brien

A Dutch company is claiming Hello Games is using its 'superformula' without permission in the developer's upcoming game, No Man's Sky.

The Dutch Telegraph (as picked up by NeoGaf and confirmed with Google Translate) reports that Tilburg-based company Genicap owns the 'superformula' Hello Games is using to generate the billions of planets in No Man's Sky. The kicker? Hello Games reportedly doesn't have a license to use it.

“We haven't provided a license to Hello Games,” Genicap's Jeroen Sparrow told the publication. "We certainly don't want to stop the launch, but if the formula is used we'll need to have a talk.”

According to Sparrow, Genicap has reached out to Hello Games multiple times without response.

This isn't the first time a 'superformula' has been mentioned in association with No Man's Sky. In an interview with The New Yorker last year, Hello Games' Sean Murray openly said that an equation, published in 2003 by Belgian plant geneticist Johan Gielis, was the key to unlocking the unique procedural generation in the game. Gielis called this equation his 'superformula', a term which Murray adopted.

However, as noted by a NeoGaf sleuth, Gielis is the Chief Research Officer at Genicap - which you can see on its 'About Us page - and has owned a patent on the formula since 2000.

We'll update this story as it develops.
Maybe they should take a brief hiatus and write their own superformula, then release the game.

BIV

Soon.....

PC bonus:

I'm actually looking forward to this because the only game I have left to play is the star wars galaxies emu.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
I'm probably gonna wind up buying it a little after the release. Though I'll probably never get to play it. I barely have time to get on the pc any more.

BIV

I pre-ordered the collectors edition something like 9 months ago. I'm not sure if that is my longest pre-order ever, but it's easily near the top.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
I pre-ordered the collectors edition something like 9 months ago. I'm not sure if that is my longest pre-order ever, but it's easily near the top.
Duke Nukem 3d.

DiggerNick

Donator
So is this coming out on the PC or what?

BIV

I've seen some leaked footage...looks great. The main leaker reported some bugs, but he is playing without a Day 1 Patch, so that doesn't mean a whole lot. The version he bought on Ebay also may have been an early dev version.

He did stress how great the game looks and plays and that it delivers the promised experience.

One week...tick tock tick tock....